Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins add 8 to 40 man roster

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

The Twins have added the following to their 40 man roster:
Aaron Hicks (outfielder)
Danny Santana (Infielder)
Josmil Pinto (Catcher)
Caleb Thielbar (LHP)
Kyle Gibson (RHP)
B.J. Hermsen (RHP)
Michael Tonkin (RHP)
Tim Wood (RHP)

With these additions, the 40-man roster is full.

#2 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

8!?

That seems unnecessary...

#3 Tcrose3636

Tcrose3636

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

So, does this signify that they don't plan to add anybody from free agency? Why would they fill the 40 man if they would have to take people off if they sign free agents?

#4 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

They can still remove bodies, but from the original 32. I don't think Swarzak is a given (arbitration) and Drew Butera. Oliveros could be designated easily. Guerra could be run thru waivers. Once the Rule 5 happens, teams are less likely to claim a player. Surprised that the Twins have basically given up on Slama.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#5 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

Ridiculous. They cannot remove these 8 , can they? They just hamstrung themselves, or am I misunderstanding how this works? And if I am right, can anyone justify this?

#6 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

Ridiculous. They cannot remove these 8 , can they? They just hamstrung themselves, or am I misunderstanding how this works? And if I am right, can anyone justify this?

The eight that were added today cannot be removed from the roster until right around Spring Training; that is correct.

Drew Butera will more than likely be non-tendered next week. Tommy Field can be waived (and clear). Lester Oliveros (though I don't know how the injury affects their ability to move him) and Deolis Guerra can be outrighted off the roster.

Yeah, the Twins hamstrung themselves... but so did most of the other teams in baseball... the next step is trimming some roster fat and having teams pass since their rosters are near full (or full).

#7 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Ridiculous? No. Unnecessary. Maybe. Almost all the teams will between 38-40 by the end of the night. There's a couple guys they added that (I think) wouldn't be able to stick to a 25 man roster all year, but the Twins feel differently. The 8 guys they did add do stay on the 40 man until the end of spring training, unless they're traded, which for some is a possibility. There are 32 other guys they can trade, pass thru waivers, or drop if they need to... and they will. What I read into this is, the 4 open rotation spots will not all be filled by ML free agent signings. There is going to be some trades, If not now, then by the Winter meetings which will open up a couple spots.