Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: The Rising Tide

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...The-Rising-Tide

#2 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

Great article. I hope that the Twins decide to spend at least some of the increased TV dollars.

#3 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:31 AM

I also hope the Twins spend the money. It is now all over that FA pitching is going to be more expensive than it was thought. $20 mil may only buy one #2 or #3 type pitcher. On mlbtraderumors it was brought up that Greinke wants 6 years $150 million. Their was also a link that discussed the Yankees may just have to suck it up and pay the luxury tax to stay relevant. This type of talk will only make the agents hold out for top end bucks for their better free agents. I do believe some of the agents are holding back possibly signing until the market shakes out a little more. No agent was to be accused of having their clients sign sweetheart deals.

#4 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

They have plenty of money, whether they choose to use it on players or profit is the question yet to be answered.

#5 CC7

CC7

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

the Twins have 25 million to spend, if they try and dump willingham, span, and mourneau thats around 40-45. Twins need to rebuild, they need to gut the system

#6 Dave T

Dave T

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

If the Twins add enough good starting pitching, they are contenders again. Why start over?

#7 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

the Twins have 25 million to spend, if they try and dump willingham, span, and mourneau thats around 40-45. Twins need to rebuild, they need to gut the system

You went a little overboard. The twins do not need to gut the system.

#8 CC7

CC7

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

well haha some of it

#9 Todd G

Todd G

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Sorry guys, but we've got WAY too much to do with $20 million than we can possibly hope to get done in one season. We've got a grand total of 1 starting pitcher, and he's a #3. We can get a 4 & 5 from our system, but we need a 1 and a 2, and they don't exactly grow on trees. Those that think our offense is fine may need to reassess that. We were average in runs scored for major leagues, but towards the bottom in the AL (where we play our games). We lack power, have a ? at third and first base, a redundant CF and RF and have two absolute offensive holes in the middle infield (and I'm not convinced our SS is that great of a fielder either).

All of that is a LOT to fill in in one season. It leads me to the conclusion that we don't need tweeks, we need a major overhaul. If we try to contend, without significant rebuilding for the future, we'll (at best) be in middle-ground hell.

We need to aim higher than the middle.

#10 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

The current payroll stands at about 75 million. It is more than 20 million that Ryan can spend. More like 35-45 million. From that you would need to find 4 starters, 4 relievers, ss, 2b, backup outfielder and catcher. Most of those players will be minimum wage guys. It should leave 30-40 million for three starters and an infielder. The Pohlads would still make money. It can be done but it isn't going to happen in November. Trading Span would mean finding another outfielder with the 4.75. That can't be done easily.

Edited by old nurse, 19 November 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#11 CC7

CC7

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Rays and Braves should be #1 trade partners
D-Backs and Twins are a fit, i think they should try to swing a deal with Mourneau, Hicks, and low level prospect to Arizona for Bauer. Theres are future ace

#12 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

If the Twins add enough good starting pitching, they are contenders again. Why start over?

Because they won't

#13 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Sorry guys, but we've got WAY too much to do with $20 million than we can possibly hope to get done in one season. We've got a grand total of 1 starting pitcher, and he's a #3. We can get a 4 & 5 from our system, but we need a 1 and a 2, and they don't exactly grow on trees. Those that think our offense is fine may need to reassess that. We were average in runs scored for major leagues, but towards the bottom in the AL (where we play our games). We lack power, have a ? at third and first base, a redundant CF and RF and have two absolute offensive holes in the middle infield (and I'm not convinced our SS is that great of a fielder either).

All of that is a LOT to fill in in one season. It leads me to the conclusion that we don't need tweeks, we need a major overhaul. If we try to contend, without significant rebuilding for the future, we'll (at best) be in middle-ground hell.

We need to aim higher than the middle.

Nice post!

#14 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

Diamond is a #3? I think that's a bit optimistic. I'm not convinced on that yet.

#15 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

Diamond is a #3? I think that's a bit optimistic. I'm not convinced on that yet.

It is optimistic, but it's not out of the realm of possibility either. I imagine he'll settle into being the kind of pitcher who will gives us close to 200 innings with an ERA a little over 4.00. That's a pretty decent #3. Problem is, he'll likely be slotted as our ace going into this season.

#16 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,441 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

Eh, me neither but I think he'll be serviceable. The Twins just need a lot of pitchers, period.

#17 Jack Torse

Jack Torse

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

If the Twins add 20 million dollars it would be unprecedented and until I see them do it for the 1st time I'm not predicting it here. I'm using their entire franchise history as my basis for formulating that opinion. Willingham was nice and showed a step forward but they knew they were saving money because they let Cuddy and Kubel go.

#18 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

If the Twins add 20 million dollars it would be unprecedented and until I see them do it for the 1st time I'm not predicting it here. I'm using their entire franchise history as my basis for formulating that opinion. Willingham was nice and showed a step forward but they knew they were saving money because they let Cuddy and Kubel go.

If the Twins "add" $20M to their current obligations for 2013 they're barely at 2010 levels.

#19 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

The consensus seems to be: the Twins stink, and will continue to stink until they draft/develop enough young talent to resume relevency. It is impossible to sign enough quality veterans through free agency to be a playoff team.