Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Cheap 2013 additions?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

I have a couple of pitchers that would be good additions to the rotation on the cheap. The first one would be Roberto Hernandez(aka Fausto Carmona) and Brett Myers. If the Twins could somehow pull off a James Shields or similar type of pitcher to be the ace you could have a rotation of Shields, Diamond,Hernandez,Myers and possibly Kyle Gibson. That would be a great improvement over last seasons staff.

Or I would try to find out what it would take the Dodgers to trade either Chris Capuano or Aaron Harang who would fit into the back end of the rotation. LA has too many starters and would be willing to deal a starter for some minor leaguers.

To fix 2nd base I would like to see Kelly Johnson.

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Kelly Johnson
Stephen Drew
Erik Bedard

#3 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Erik Bedard would not be a good fit.

#4 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

Erik Bedard would not be a good fit.

You are right. Strikes too many guys out.

In all seriousness. Any pitcher they can get that can throw innings should not be ruled out at this point.

#5 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

I should clarify.. quality innings.

#6 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

My problem with Bedard is his history of injuries. Unless he signs for around $2M or so we will be going to Rochester for replacement just like last season.

#7 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

Oh ok, valid point. I thought you were referencing the fact that he's a "cancer".

#8 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

Bedard could be a good signing to ease Gibson into the rotation. Limit Gibson at the start of the year and during the middle of the year when Bedard goes down you have a fresh Gibson. Bedard comes back in time to take the place of the next player to blow out an arm. What is the price of the player per the handbook that I was to cheap to buy?

#9 dougg13

dougg13

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

How about Carl Pavano, is he healthy. Have not heard his name linked to anyone. Is he going to retire?

#10 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Joel Pineiro, Matt Torra, or someone else like them are the likely cheap signings by the Twins

#11 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

My problem with Bedard is his history of injuries. Unless he signs for around $2M or so we will be going to Rochester for replacement just like last season.

With said injury history, do you really think anybody is offering him more than $2M a season? He's a stab in the dark like Marquis was last year, but I'd rather see them go after a guy like him. At least he has some upside.

#12 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

If we're looking for a guy to just fill in innings on a minimum deal, I would be at least interested in Jeff Francis. I don't expect much, but his strikeout rate bumped back up last year, and I'd like to get him out of Colorado's thin air.

I'd also roll the dice on Scott Feldman. And I'd be interested to see what Chris Young is like a year after his anterior capsule tear, ala Johan Santana.

#13 rgslone

rgslone

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

What about Homer Bailey or Mike Leake from the Reds? Both are young and cheap. What would it take to get that done?

#14 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

arrrrrgggggghhhhhh to all that have been mentioned. Not cause they are absurd but since they are inevitable to be Twins

#15 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

back after my 2nd suspention for bad mouthing the complete ineptness of twins management ,even if its by unpoplular demand
what happened to the 1st amendment ? freedom of speech, what happened to independent of the twins llc?
ok now that im done snivelling , here are my cheap additions to the twins rotation , villanueva and trading fro Dárnaud and j.a. happ

#16 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

If we're looking for a guy to just fill in innings on a minimum deal, I would be at least interested in Jeff Francis. I don't expect much, but his strikeout rate bumped back up last year, and I'd like to get him out of Colorado's thin air.

I'd also roll the dice on Scott Feldman. And I'd be interested to see what Chris Young is like a year after his anterior capsule tear, ala Johan Santana.

why not santana , if we can get him for opium (other peoples money) if the mets were willing to pick up 67-70% of his contract why not trade for johan and his 2 time sore arm? then bring back loco liriano , with santan and cuellar here to help frankie , he might finally put together another quality season...yes i know we are tired of him , but does any one really expect curly to sign any one better?

personally the most we can hope for is the KEVINS slowey and correia, and maybe a signing of moyer or pavano ....
as st pete and ryan do not want to lose there bonuses for slashing payroll, i wonder how much they pocketed for dropping payroll 18.4 million last year?

#17 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

People around here need to accept that the Twins aren't going to hand out 3 large multi year deals to 3 separate starting pitchers this offseason. While I expect them to go out and get at least one decent splash, the Twins are going to still have to go out to the bargain basement to get some help.

That said, I dont' get the consternation with Bedard. He's the perfect candidate for a cheap deal like this, and of all of the garbage bin options, he's the one most likely to pan out. His peripherals were very good, and he actually had a pretty decent first half of the season before falling apart... even if he replicates that, he just allowed us to limit Gibson's innings at worst. If he does really well, you have some trade fodder at the deadline if we are sellers.

#18 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Pavano, Liriano, and Slowey.

#19 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

back after my 2nd suspention for bad mouthing the complete ineptness of twins management ,even if its by unpoplular demand
what happened to the 1st amendment ? freedom of speech, what happened to independent of the twins llc?

When you're given time away, it is a wise idea to not return from said time away bad mouthing those who gave you the time away. The first amendment has nothing to do with a public internet forum. Those running the forum have every right to ban, suspend, etc. any user that violates the terms of service. Perhaps a refresher on those terms would be best before spouting off against those who do such a great job running this site.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#20 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

When you're given time away, it is a wise idea to not return from said time away bad mouthing those who gave you the time away. The first amendment has nothing to do with a public internet forum. Those running the forum have every right to ban, suspend, etc. any user that violates the terms of service. Perhaps a refresher on those terms would be best before spouting off against those who do such a great job running this site.

and what did they have for breakfest?

#21 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

Cheap?
Jeremy Bonderman hasn't pitched in a couple years. Maybe he would be cheap.

#22 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

ok now that im done snivelling , here are my cheap additions to the twins rotation , villanueva and trading fro Dárnaud and j.a. happ

You are a guest in someone else's house. Host your own webs site if you want to say whatever you want.

#23 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

Bonderman would be an interesting choice. I'm sure the Twins will offer plenty of opportunity to low-end free agents, looking for a chance to be a #3 or #4 starter on a team that is......is hungry. It's pretty much the Twins, Astros or Marlins that can guarantee innings and a chance to reprove themselves.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#24 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

Cheap?
Jeremy Bonderman hasn't pitched in a couple years. Maybe he would be cheap.

Reports were on 11/9 that he was going to sign with Detroit. Could a fan rumor reporting actually have traction?

#25 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

Bonderman would be an interesting choice. I'm sure the Twins will offer plenty of opportunity to low-end free agents, looking for a chance to be a #3 or #4 starter on a team that is......is hungry. It's pretty much the Twins, Astros or Marlins that can guarantee innings and a chance to reprove themselves.

The innings and a chance to prove themselves is true for many of the names posted in this thread. Astros and Marlins would have a better chance as the pitcher can pad statistics with the other pitchers and more weak teams.

#26 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

You are a guest in someone else's house. Host your own webs site if you want to say whatever you want.

sure thing robbie

#27 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

The innings and a chance to prove themselves is true for many of the names posted in this thread. Astros and Marlins would have a better chance as the pitcher can pad statistics with the other pitchers and more weak teams.

Astros will be in the AL West, which was a very tough division last year.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#28 CC7

CC7

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

Bobby Jenks? cheap

#29 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Maybe Livan Hernandez is available?!?!?!