Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Minnesota Twins Prospect Ranking Compilation

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,845 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...ing-Compilation

#2 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hmmm...I wonder why you didn't include mlb's list?:P

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,845 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

I should have listed their top 20... I guess...

#4 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

Some good reading on Fangraphs also. Remember, on Fangrpahs, the guy writing his top player list by position is only for players he has personally seen, so no comments on Sano for example. He has some interesting stuff on Twins' players.

#5 Teddy

Teddy

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

Interesting that Angel Morales is in MLB.com's #10 spot, but he doesn't appear anywhere among the 31 players on this list.

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,845 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

One of several reasons that the mlb.com list isn't included.

#7 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

http://www.scoutingb...m/prospects/MIN it is an ongoing list so it still has write ups from last year, but the rankings are up to date.

#8 Teddy

Teddy

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

So, Seth...other than the fact that MLB.com sucks almost as much as MLB TV, would you like to share some of the other reasons why the MLB.com list wasn't included?

#9 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

How you rolled up the rankings is flawed. There aren't enough ranks to throw out the high and low (which, I assume, is why Hicks is ahead of Arcia). Also, it makes no sense that Vargas and Benson are ahead of Harrison.

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,845 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

So, Seth...other than the fact that MLB.com sucks almost as much as MLB TV, would you like to share some of the other reasons why the MLB.com list wasn't included?

The primary reason was because i didn't even think about it until after I posted the blog.

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,845 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

How you rolled up the rankings is flawed. There aren't enough ranks to throw out the high and low (which, I assume, is why Hicks is ahead of Arcia). Also, it makes no sense that Vargas and Benson are ahead of Harrison.

I didn't roll them up. I posted my Top 25, then posted where the other rankings had players. Nothing scientific.

#12 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

Hmmm...

The top eight make a rather tight grouping, which makes the bottom half of the projections far more interesting. Why do you think Sickels ranks five players in his top 25 that aren't mentioned by the other four fortune-tellers? Any idea, Seth?

Thanks.

#13 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

The Twins minor league system is much improved this year. Recognize that 12 of 30 names on this list are guys who played in Elizabethton this year. Many of those kids received rave reviews for their play in 2012 and potential moving forward. Terry Ryan should receive some love for an excellent draft class. Although I want wins now - I believe that the Twins are building somethng special, that they can afford for years to come. Buxton; Berrios; Kepler; Harrison; Walker; Melotakis; Polanco; Bard; Goodrum; Chargois; Z. Jones; Baxendale; (Bold are T. Ryan Draftees). This list also excludes T, Duffy; T. Rogers; DJ Hicks; who all showed true promise moving forward.

#14 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

Hmmm...

The top eight make a rather tight grouping, which makes the bottom half of the projections far more interesting. Why do you think Sickels ranks five players in his top 25 that aren't mentioned by the other four fortune-tellers? Any idea, Seth?

Thanks.

Sickels and Seth are the only two lists that go to 25. The main difference between Seth and Johns ratings seems to be John like recent draftees over Seth, who ranks guys with longer track records, but lower ceilings higher.

#15 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,845 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Hmmm...

Thanks.

The top 8 is very consistent for pretty much all rankings I've seen. As for Sickels, he has ranked 4-5 of the 2012 college relievers in his late teens. I believe in Chargois, Jones, etc., I have them ranked in the low 30s, which for me is very high for relievers. Those guys can definitely come up (and fairly quickly) and play a big role in the Twins bullpen. It's hard for me to rank relievers really high, especially guys just drafted last year, when their ceiling is 60-70 innings. Meanwhile, a #3 or #4 starting pitcher is going to pitch 150-180 innings a season. That said, I have no problem with Sickels ranking them that high because I think they can be impact players. Also, he ranked 20. I haven't seen what Baseball America's 11-30 are. My guess is they will have a bunch of those guys in their teens and 20s too.

#16 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,845 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hmmm...

Thanks.

Sickels and Seth are the only two lists that go to 25. The main difference between Seth and Johns ratings seems to be John like recent draftees over Seth, who ranks guys with longer track records, but lower ceilings higher.

Right or wrong, it is more about relievers versus starters for me. I definitely believe in the 2012 draft picks. I had the chance to see Melotakis and Baxendale (who dominated as a reliever but will be a starter next year). I didn't get a chance to see Taylor Rogers or Zach Jones, but the stories of Jones in Beloit were enough to get me really excited. The kid consistently was hitting 98 and touched 100 a few times. Duffey was incredible all season, and Chargois will be very good too.

#17 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

http://www.mlbprospe...-prospects.html

MLB PROSPECT PORTAL
found another site with rankings - surfing

#18 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Seth
Goodrum didn't make your top 25?
I just noticed that now. Why not?

#19 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,845 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Seth
Goodrum didn't make your top 25?
I just noticed that now. Why not?

Would have been good to see some improvement in his second season at E-Town.

#20 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

I am encouraged by all of the gushing from scouts about Goodrum's tools and his play at SS but I'm unimpressed by the results so far. He had a great June and pretty much sucked the last two months. He would sneak into my top 20 though.

The guy that I haven't liked as much as others is Travis Harrison. He is likely headed to 1B and he really didn't hit that well this year for that position. Mediocre power and the stat line only looked good due to a .379 BAPIP. Jorge Polanco had more power, better plate discipline and has good up the middle defense.

#21 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

How did you get Baseball America's rankings, they just came out today???

#22 shs_59

shs_59

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

Interesting , In the last 5 years my list has been closer to Sickles or BP ....But this year its much more in LINE with Seth's (for only the 2nd time)

1. A Sano
1. B Buxton
3. Hicks
4. Arcia
5. Rosario
6. Gibson
7. Berrios/ Kepler
8. Kepler / Berrios
9. Harrison
10. Wimmers
11. Melotakis
12. Polanco
13. Boyd
14. Bard
15. Baxendale (hopefully convert to SP in the future)
16. Hermsen
17. Herrmann
18. Zach Jones
19. Chargois
20. A.B. Walker
21. Goodrum
22. Wheeler
23. Boer
24. Roberts
25. Summers

That is much more in line w/ Seth and Christe compared to the others. I think this is a good sign for Twins fans, as far as how we see our future possible outcomes.

Kennys Vargas, while I like I don't envision him at all of having enough bat to hold down 1B, a position historically needed a Plus bat to stay at, PLUS you throw in the PED use and I am more of a in the wait and see approach with him.