Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Sherman: Twins talking to Mariners

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

In a snippet that appeared on MLBTR via Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Twins are talking with the Mariners.

The Mariners have a bunch of young arms - Walker, Hultzen, Paxton, Maurer - and are said to be interested in Hicks and/or Revere.

#2 SirLoin

SirLoin

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

In a snippet that appeared on MLBTR via Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Twins are talking with the Mariners.

The Mariners have a bunch of young arms - Walker, Hultzen, Paxton, Maurer - and are said to be interested in Hicks and/or Revere.

Paxton seems like the most attractive option, would they take Hicks in exchange?

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,359 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

Oh please oh please oh please... If the Twins can find someone to take Revere, that would be HUGE. I'd be in favor of taking a chance and getting rid of both Span and Hicks to separate teams if the return is even decent.

#4 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

I would give up Revere in a heart beat for any of those guys.

#5 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

Oh please oh please oh please... If the Twins can find someone to take Revere, that would be HUGE. I'd be in favor of taking a chance and getting rid of both Span and Hicks to separate teams if the return is even decent.

Yeah, if we can get anything of value back for Revere we might as well do it. Holding onto Span for the beginning of next year until Hicks was ready wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either, no rush to deal Span for the sake of dealing.

#6 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

Wow, this is great news that the Twins can get value for Ben Revere. I really hope this works out!!!!

#7 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

Does anybody realistically think we can get substance for Revere? He would be a fine stopgap between Span and Hicks for a year or so, but I just don't think he has much trade value. I would be shocked if the Mariners would give up any of those guys with Revere as the the key piece in the trade.

#8 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Revere straight up would not bring much value. He could add value as part of a package though...if that makes sense.

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,359 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Revere straight up would not bring much value. He could add value as part of a package though...if that makes sense.

Yeah, that's my thinking as well.

#10 Rick Niedermann

Rick Niedermann

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Not interested in Maurer. Walker wouldn't be much help for 2 or 3 years. But would be a good pickup and add to our younger guys we drafted this year in the draft. I like Hultzen and Paxton alot and could help sooner. Wish we could package something that would bring us one of their young shortstops. Brad Miller of Nick Franklin.

#11 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Amen. Separate teams should not be a requirement either. Keeping Span until Buxton can replace him a viable option if Revere and Hicks were traded. I am not fixated on keeping a specific player of the three-headed CF monster of Span/Revere/Hicks--trade two of the three if necessary, but build a rotation.

#12 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Isn't Hicks considered to be pretty close to the big leagues??? doubt they trade him now unless he's part of a pkg for a true frontline starter. Are any of these names considered #1's?? If not then I look elswhere.

#13 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

Can someone please writeup a tweet-length summary of the Mariners prospects we're talking about? I'm just not that familiar with them.

#14 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

Sorry about the lentgh of this, it came from fan graphs:

2. Danny Hultzen, LHP
BORN: Nov. 28, 1989
EXPERIENCE: None
ACQUIRED: 2011 1st round (2nd overall), University of Virginia
2010-11 TOP 10 RANKING: NA
Almost every single mock draft had Danny Hultzen heading to the Arizona Diamondbacks with the third pick of the 2011 draft. Seattle put an end to that speculation when it nabbed the southpaw with the second overall pick after Pittsburgh grabbed another college arm, Gerrit Cole, with the first overall selection. The U of Virginia alum signed too late to play during the regular season but he did pitch 19.1 innings in the Arizona Fall League. Hultzen looked good, posting a 2.79 FIP (1.40 ERA) with 18 strikeouts and just five walks. He doesn’t have “explosive stuff” but he’s extremely polished and has an above-average repertoire for a southpaw. His fastball sits in the low 90s and can touch 95-96 mph. He also has a potentially-plus changeup and a slider. With his strong debut the lefty could open 2012 in double-A, an aggressive assignment for sure but it would allow him to skip over the potent California League.

3. Taijuan Walker, RHP
BORN: Aug. 13, 1992
EXPERIENCE: 2 years
ACQUIRED: 2010 supplemental 1st round, California HS
2010-11 TOP 10 RANKING: 4th
As a multi-sport star in high school, Walker was supposed to be a bit of a project when the organization signed him in 2010. The club has been fairly cautious with him so far but the right-hander may finally be ready to explode after a breakout ’11 season. Walker has a good chance at becoming one of the top pitching prospects in the minors in 2012 and could very well reach double-A if he continues to advance like he did last season. He spent all of ’11 in low-A ball and he posted a 2.70 FIP (2.89 ERA) in 96.2 innings. He overpowered more advanced hitters; his strikeout rate sat at 10.52 K/9 and he allowed just 6.42 hits per nine innings. Walker also does a nice job of inducing ground-ball outs. His fastball sits in the mid 90s and can touch the upper 90s. He also has a good curveball and changeup. He’ll face a stiff challenge when he opens 2012 in the California League (high-A ball) and he won’t turn 20 until August.

4. James Paxton, LHP
BORN: Nov. 6, 1988
EXPERIENCE: 2010 4th round, Independent baseball league
ACQUIRED: 1 season
2010-11 TOP 10 RANKING: NA
The Blue Jays’ loss is the Mariners’ gain. When negotiations disintegrated between Toronto and its 2009 first round draft pick, Paxton headed off to pitch in an independent baseball league and re-entered the amateur draft in 2010. Due to an uneven performance, though, he slipped to the fourth round where he was an absolute steal for the organization. The Canadian native had an outstanding 2011 season while pitching in both low-A and double-A ball. At the higher level Paxton posted a strikeout rate of 11.77 K/9 with above-average ground ball numbers in 39.0 innings. He also made strides with his control, which can desert him at times. The southpaw has a solid pitcher’s frame and an above-average repertoire. His fastball ranges from 91-97 mph and he also a potentially-plus curveball and a solid changeup. He could return to double-A to open 2012 but may very well make his big league debut at some point during the coming season.
This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

#15 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

In reality Hicks won't be enough to get Walker or Hultzen.

However guys like Paxton could be in play.

#16 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

I'd much rather hear the Twins rumored to be going after these guys than the old guys like Ryan Dempster that we've also been hearing. I can't imagine any of these would be available for cheap.

#17 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

I'd much rather hear the Twins rumored to be going after these guys than the old guys like Ryan Dempster that we've also been hearing. I can't imagine any of these would be available for cheap.

I can't imagine any pitching good enough to be enthused about coming cheap, Seth. Whether it's young pitching coming in return for prospects or veteran pitching signed as FAs, if what Terry Ryan brings in to help the rotation actually are solid additions, it's a safe bet that a ton of complaints will register that the price was too high. If anyone believes that TR can trade one of his surplus outfielders straight up for high-end starting pitching, it's a sure sign expectations are out of whack. I do believe Ryan will make a deal or two but I'm convinced the price is going to really hurt.
I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#18 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Agreed.

Apparently Sherman also noted the M's are talking to KC,and asking about Wil Myers, so MN is not in it alone.

#19 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

There was a tweet yesterday that claimed that (many?) GMs consider Brandon Maurer in the same class (or close) as the other, better-known prospects.

I think he might be a more likely target than either Walker or Hultzen.

#20 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

with our farm being non factors in rebuilding our rotation , i think we need young guns and old ones as well if we can trade for 1 or 2 arms and sign 1 or 2 arms , then if we dont get in the race we have pieces to deal for prospects to rebuild our farm system ,as bad as the twins are pitching wise i cant see throwing away all of our decent prospects ,like ramos for capps ....with gibbson either starting in the pen our in rochester, why not sign dempster to a 2 year deal then trade him in june,and install gibby?2 things would happen , fans would believe we are trying and buy more tickets , and 2 we would help restock the AA and AAA teams with quality starters from trading ...

#21 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

[quote name='Mr. Ed'][quote name='Seth Stohs']I'd much rather hear the Twins rumored to be going after these guys than the old guys like Ryan Dempster that we've also been hearing. I can't imagine any of these would be available for cheap.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Apparently Sherman also noted the M's are talking to KC,and asking about Wil Myers, so MN is not in it alone.[/QUOTE]

Well if Myers is on the table that trumps anything we can offer.

#22 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

There was a tweet yesterday that claimed that (many?) GMs consider Brandon Maurer in the same class (or close) as the other, better-known prospects.

I think he might be a more likely target than either Walker or Hultzen.

I read the Trade Rumors blurb about that, but it was actually just the Seattle front office who told Ken Rosenthal that THEY think he's on the same level as the other three prospects. So, pretty sure that is a negotiating ploy to drive up everyones value, or the Mariners way of saying, take Mauerer instead, he's just as good.

My question is, why are Hicks and Revere the two they are looking at? Why wouldn't the Mariners be looking at the middle option, Oswaldo Arcia? He's closer to MLB ready than Hicks and has much more upside than Revere. The only reason I can see them having no interest is if they are solely looking for their future leadoff hitter. On a team that offensively starved, I'd think that narrow of a focus would not be beneficial.

#23 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

[quote name='nicksaviking'][quote name='Jeremy Nygaard']There was a tweet yesterday that claimed that (many?) GMs consider Brandon Maurer in the same class (or close) as the other, better-known prospects.

I think he might be a more likely target than either Walker or Hultzen.[/QUOTE]

I read the Trade Rumors blurb about that, but it was actually just the Seattle front office who told Ken Rosenthal that THEY think he's on the same level as the other three prospects. So, pretty sure that is a negotiating ploy to drive up everyones value, or the Mariners way of saying, take Mauerer instead, he's just as good.

My question is, why are Hicks and Revere the two they are looking at? Why wouldn't the Mariners be looking at the middle option, Oswaldo Arcia? He's closer to MLB ready than Hicks and has much more upside than Revere. The only reason I can see them having no interest is if they are solely looking for their future leadoff hitter. On a team that offensively starved, I'd think that narrow of a focus would not be beneficial.[/QUOTE]

I think with their ballpark, even with the fences moved in, they would look to add an elite CFer. That would also explain why they would mention Revere.

#24 nokomismod

nokomismod

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

Sounds like everyone here thinks Revere had a career year?

#25 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

Sounds like everyone here thinks Revere had a career year?

As time goes by, everybody tires, the little fast guys slow down but the big guys stay big.

#26 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

Twins fans are giving up pretty fast.

#27 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Top Gun, not only are you a Twins Daily Legend, you are also a National Treasure.

I love you man - keep em' coming!

#28 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

So this year, about where will these guys on the Mariners be ranked in national prospect lists? ARe any top 20? Top 50? Top 100?

#29 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

So this year, about where will these guys on the Mariners be ranked in national prospect lists? ARe any top 20? Top 50? Top 100?

Walker will be top 3. Hultzen top 10. They have a 2B Nick Franklin who should be top 20ish. Paxton top 100. Saw him in the Rising Stars game.. Low 90s fastball but had a lot of life on it, nothing else stood out, but he didn't pitch long.

#30 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

[quote name='gunnarthor'][quote name='nicksaviking'][quote name='Jeremy Nygaard']There was a tweet yesterday that claimed that (many?) GMs consider Brandon Maurer in the same class (or close) as the other, better-known prospects.

I think he might be a more likely target than either Walker or Hultzen.[/QUOTE]

My question is, why are Hicks and Revere the two they are looking at? Why wouldn't the Mariners be looking at the middle option, Oswaldo Arcia? He's closer to MLB ready than Hicks and has much more upside than Revere. The only reason I can see them having no interest is if they are solely looking for their future leadoff hitter. On a team that offensively starved, I'd think that narrow of a focus would not be beneficial.[/QUOTE]

I think with their ballpark, even with the fences moved in, they would look to add an elite CFer. That would also explain why they would mention Revere.[/QUOTE]

Good catch. It got a little hard to follow when Rosenthal threw a name out (that was spelled incorrectly) and then had to make the correction tweet later. Maurer was very good this past year after coming into the season with considerable upside (a #2 starter according to BA).

Knowing that the Mariners had young pitching, that they deal from depth (Pineda last year) and that the Twins had extra center fielders, I tried to match them as trade partners... I just couldn't get past the fact that the Mariners already have a pretty good (and expensive) center fielder tied up. Granted, Gutierrez has had the injury bug, I thought it would make more sense for them to search for a corner outfield - and I didn't really see the Twins dealing Arcia.

Regardless, I don't think the Twins have what it would take to get Hultzen or Walker... and probably not Paxton. (Ok, they probably have it... they just wouldn't trade it.) I do think Maurer serves as a nice alternative. If the Twins are serious about getting Parmelee regular at-bats, they could move Revere. The Twins would probably have to kick in a lower pitching prospect to make it work. Maurer probably isn't going to be a Top 100 guy (maybe...?), but he fits the Twins mold as a guy that, as BA says, "pounds the strike zone". He sits around 94, did a great job of hitting the corners this year and has developed a slider that disappears on hitters.