Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Trevor Bauer

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

According to Crasnick the Diamondbacks are willing to trade Bauer. If I were the Twins he would instantly become my number one target. Assuming they trade Upton as well the Diamondbacks could use a CF in Span. However obviously Span would NOT be enough to get Bauer, I wonder if we included one of Arcia/Rosario if it would be enough to get Bauer back in return? Prob not. But maybe they could include more pieces. Span+Rosario+Vargas+C+ prospect? for Bauer? Do it.

Bauer has the potential to be an absolutely dominating pitcher.

Edited by SpiritofVodkaDave, 07 November 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#2 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

Upton is only a RF so dealing him will have no impact on them finding a CF as they have Adam Eaton in CF with Gerrardo Parra possibly.
There is no interest in Span by them BUT sniffing around Bauer is something they better be doin.
Rumours are out that ARIZ isnt too fond of Bauer either....due mostly to his training methods/pitching ideals.

#3 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

If I was Terry Ryan I would give up Willingham and Span to get Bauer and another highly regarded pitcher form the D-Back's.

#4 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

If I was Terry Ryan I would give up Willingham and Span to get Bauer and another highly regarded pitcher form the D-Back's.

Bauer is going to cost a hefty package of prospects, plus I'm not so sure they would want Span or Willingham even since they have a pretty loadeded OF with Parra.

If they didn't want Span or whatever, I would offer them Sano+more in a heartbeat.

#5 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

Bauer is going to cost a hefty package of prospects, plus I'm not so sure they would want Span or Willingham even since they have a pretty loadeded OF with Parra.

If they didn't want Span or whatever, I would offer them Sano+more in a heartbeat.

Sano+, eh? Trades like this hardly ever happen, am I right?

All things equal, I'd rather have a top pitcher than a top hitter, and Bauer is way closer to the majors. Do you think Sano for Bauer straight up would work?

#6 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

I'm in. Wonder what you'd have to give up. No to Sano, I think. Yes to pretty much any other 1 prospect. If I need to deal Hicks and Rosario, I think that might be too much.....but i"m not sure.
Lighten up Francis....

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

That would be wonderful, but the reasons that the Diamondbacks want to trade him are exactly the same reasons that would not make him a fit with the current Twins' pitching philosophy: The Diamondbacks have been trying to have him use his cutter/2-seamer down the zone while he likes to use this 4-seamer up the zone trying to blow it by hitters. Very similar situation to Matt Garza a couple years ago. Interesting to see how this might play out. But his numbers in PCL are more than promising
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#8 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe the D-Backs are pretty desperate for an answer at Shortstop. I could see a Bauer for Elvis Andrus kind of deal maybe being feasible - but it is more likely an Upton for Andrus trade takes place. Texas will need someone to replace Hamilton.

I think the the D-Backs are still in a win now mode - I cannot envision a Bauer trade with the Twins that would be beneficial to the D-Backs winning now.

#9 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

I would go with Hicks, a low grade prospect or two, and either Duensing or Burton. Anything more than that would be an overpayment.

The fact that they are looking to move a highly drafted, young, cost-controlled pitcher so quickly after being drafted gives me pause.

#10 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

I would go with Hicks, a low grade prospect or two, and either Duensing or Burton. Anything more than that would be an overpayment.

The fact that they are looking to move a highly drafted, young, cost-controlled pitcher so quickly after being drafted gives me pause.

lol thats not going to work. Bauer was a top ten prospect and will be again next season, I'd personally have him right around the #5-#7 range in all of baseball.

Hicks is a nice prospect but no where near that. If you aren't trading Span, you are most likely going to have to start with Sano, or two of the Arcia/Rosario/Hicks trio along with some additional pieces most likely.

Duensing has zero value in a trade.

#11 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 323 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

First, thanks Dave for starting this. You beat me to it by quite a bit.

Second, anyone know any DBacks fans (or writers or communities) that they can send a link of this thread to and get some responses from the otehr side?

Time for the meat: Hicks is likely not enough, but I wouldn't be shocked if he could be a central part of the package, and I wonder how Twins fans feel about that. The DBacks are seeminly looking for infield help, but with Chris Young gone I can't believe (public protestations not withstanding) that they have that much faith in Eaton or Pollock to be a long-term answer in center field. Hicks is the whole package and close to ready and could be the answer there for a long time.

So how would we feel about a deal that involves Hicks and maybe another guy or so that isn't in the top 7: Kepler, some of the new relief arms, Wimmers, that slugger in Beloit that came back from the suspension...somoene like that?

#12 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

I think if Span is expendable, then so should be Hicks.

#13 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

If the D-backs were so worried about outfield, they wouldn't move Young so that it forced them to deal a former top prospect to replace him. They have internal options and the suggestion of Span is ridiculous. Gibson loves Eaton and wants him playing.

#14 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

I'm in. Wonder what you'd have to give up. No to Sano, I think. Yes to pretty much any other 1 prospect. If I need to deal Hicks and Rosario, I think that might be too much.....but i"m not sure.

Rosario is the odd prospect out. No one seems to think he'll stay at 2nd and I think the other outfielders all overmatch him.

#15 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

I really dislike the idea to trade Hicks. Vargas, Kepler, Wimmers, and Rosario are all prospects I wouldn't mind traded. Put Revere/Span out there too and maybe something could get worked through? Sano, Berrios, Buxton, Hicks, and Arcia hands off.

Edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse, 07 November 2012 - 11:00 PM.

#16 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

According to Crasnick the Diamondbacks are willing to trade Bauer. If I were the Twins he would instantly become my number one target. Assuming they trade Upton as well the Diamondbacks could use a CF in Span. However obviously Span would NOT be enough to get Bauer, I wonder if we included one of Arcia/Rosario if it would be enough to get Bauer back in return? Prob not. But maybe they could include more pieces. Span+Rosario+Vargas+C+ prospect? for Bauer? Do it.

your offering up a lot for an undersized prospect with an attitude problem arnt you?
but he might fit in with the lilly white twins who knows

#17 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

lol thats not going to work. Bauer was a top ten prospect and will be again next season, I'd personally have him right around the #5-#7 range in all of baseball.

Hicks is a nice prospect but no where near that. If you aren't trading Span, you are most likely going to have to start with Sano, or two of the Arcia/Rosario/Hicks trio along with some additional pieces most likely.

Duensing has zero value in a trade.

You're right in that it probably isn't an equal trade. But you have to wonder about a "coveted" pitcher being available so quickly. I was a huge Bauer fan when he was drafted. I still think he could be an impact arm. But considering the current circumstances, I would not give up the preverbial farm for him.

This has the faint odor of Delmon Young swirling around it...

#18 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

I thought you couldn't trade any prospects from the current 2012 draft yet? That would leave Berrios off the market. Am I right in this assumption? When can 2012 draftees start getting traded?

#19 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

your offering up a lot for an undersized prospect with an attitude problem arnt you?
but he might fit in with the lilly white twins who knows

Try spelling or punctuation for a change. Look at theTwins roster of players in the majors and minors and see there is diversity. You really must be fatbeers long lost separated at birth twin

#20 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

I thought you couldn't trade any prospects from the current 2012 draft yet? That would leave Berrios off the market. Am I right in this assumption? When can 2012 draftees start getting traded?

They can sorta be traded as "PTBNL" types, though for a guy as highly rated as Berrios I can't think of that happening before. Maybe they could add in one of the 75 RP they drafted this year as well?

I still think it would take a lot more then Hicks+a couple fringe top 10 guys. Ditto with the Andrus for Bauer talk. Towers isn't an idiot, he will get equal value for Bauer or will just stick with him.

Honestly, I would give up anyone on this team or in the farm system to get Bauer, kids with his stuff at age 21 are pretty rare. As far as "attitude" etc goes, maybe he just needs a change of scenery/ a new voice in his ear. If for some reason the Diamondbacks decide to sell low on him then if we could get him for a package around Hicks/Arcia etc I would be all for it and thrilled, personally I would rather give up Arcia then Hicks, but to get an arm like Bauer you gotta be willing to pull the trigger.

After looking more into it I can't see Span as a viable target for them (unless they want to trade away another OF in the meantime which wouldn't shock me, who knows what Towers is up to) but Eaton is looking like the future CF there. It's to bad none of our major league pieces match up with the Diamondbacks at all :/

Edited by SpiritofVodkaDave, 08 November 2012 - 12:39 AM.

#21 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

[quote name='old nurse'][quote name='johnnydakota'][quote name='SpiritofVodkaDave']According to Crasnick the Diamondbacks are willing to trade Bauer. If I were the Twins he would instantly become my number one target. Assuming they trade Upton as well the Diamondbacks could use a CF in Span. However obviously Span would NOT be enough to get Bauer, I wonder if we included one of Arcia/Rosario if it would be enough to get Bauer back in return? Prob not. But maybe they could include more pieces. Span+Rosario+Vargas+C+ prospect? for Bauer? Do it.

Bauer has the potential to be an absolutely dominating pitcher.[/QUOTE]
but he might fit in with the lilly white twins who knows[/QUOTE]

Try spelling or punctuation for a change. Look at theTwins roster of players in the majors and minors and see there is diversity. You really must be fatbeers long lost separated at birth twin[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure where the undersized comment is coming from either. According to baseball prospects the average pitcher height is 6'2, Bauer is only an inch below that.

#22 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

I really dislike the idea to trade Hicks. Vargas, Kepler, Wimmers, and Rosario are all prospects I wouldn't mind traded. Put Revere/Span out there too and maybe something could get worked through? Sano, Berrios, Buxton, Hicks, and Arcia hands off.

Vargas, Kepler and especially Wimmers aren't going to ever bring you back any top talent back in a trade if they are the center piece, they certainly won't bring back a Bauer. I kinda get why you say Sano, Buxton are hands off, but I disagree. Saying Hicks and Arcia are hands off in a trade like this makes me think your are falling to in love with our own prospects. As great as Hicks and Arcia's potential is, they still both have some significant flaws in their games and neither one is guaranteed to be an all-star type player (at this point I think Hicks floor is a great defensive CF who is a little below average hitting)

Put it this way: If the Twins suddenly soured on Sano (who isn't in the same prospect league as Bauer IMO, though maybe not to far off), would you want them to consider a package back for guys like Whimmers/Kepler/Vargas?

#23 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Would it be fair to say that maybe Sano would be a better trade piece than Hicks given where he is in the system? Hicks is nearly major-league ready; some have suggested that it may happen in 2013. Sano just finished up a Beloit, and although he could get through the rest of the system quickly, there are some serious question marks on defense and hitting breaking balls that suggest that he may simply need more time.

The other piece is the fact that projecting players is really hard. How many "once in a generation" talents have become nothing more than serviceable players once they finally hit the bigs? All things equal, I'd prefer to gamble on the guy who's closer to the major leagues. If Bauer and Sano are in the same prospect class, but Bauer is knocking on the door while Sano is Wisconsin, I'd be inclined to take Bauer. That's even outside the fact that our system is bereft of pitching.

#24 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Would it be fair to say that maybe Sano would be a better trade piece than Hicks given where he is in the system? Hicks is nearly major-league ready; some have suggested that it may happen in 2013. Sano just finished up a Beloit, and although he could get through the rest of the system quickly, there are some serious question marks on defense and hitting breaking balls that suggest that he may simply need more time.

The other piece is the fact that projecting players is really hard. How many "once in a generation" talents have become nothing more than serviceable players once they finally hit the bigs? All things equal, I'd prefer to gamble on the guy who's closer to the major leagues. If Bauer and Sano are in the same prospect class, but Bauer is knocking on the door while Sano is Wisconsin, I'd be inclined to take Bauer. That's even outside the fact that our system is bereft of pitching.

Sano certainly has more trade value then Hicks, but all things being equal I would rather have Sano in the system then Hicks.

#25 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

[quote name='old nurse'][quote name='johnnydakota'][quote name='SpiritofVodkaDave']According to Crasnick the Diamondbacks are willing to trade Bauer. If I were the Twins he would instantly become my number one target. Assuming they trade Upton as well the Diamondbacks could use a CF in Span. However obviously Span would NOT be enough to get Bauer, I wonder if we included one of Arcia/Rosario if it would be enough to get Bauer back in return? Prob not. But maybe they could include more pieces. Span+Rosario+Vargas+C+ prospect? for Bauer? Do it.

Bauer has the potential to be an absolutely dominating pitcher.[/QUOTE]
but he might fit in with the lilly white twins who knows[/QUOTE]

Try spelling or punctuation for a change. Look at theTwins roster of players in the majors and minors and see there is diversity. You really must be fatbeers long lost separated at birth twin[/QUOTE]
talking about management and ownership and the good old boy network ,by the way how are mike and julie?