Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: The Rising Cost Of Relief Pitching

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...elief-pitching

#2 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

Does purchasing 1 win equate to a player performing at 1 WAR?

If so, the Twins have made a huge mistake not picking up Baker's option. In order to get market value performance from Baker, he would have to perform at little better than 1 WAR to meet that level. He can do that in a half season.

Maybe his arm and health have not progressed and he can't be expected to pitch well for even a half season.

#3 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

According to Fangraphs, data from last season suggestes that 1 WAR is equal to somewhere between 4-5 million. That's a win above replacement level, not a win. A win, for WAR purposes is somewhere around 10 runs I believe? So no, the long and short is no, they're not the same. But without the numbers in front of me I'm not entirely sure what that figure is, and since I'm at work on a Saturday I cant quite go find the numbers for you, but head over to Fangraphs and you should be able to find way more data on the subject than you've ever wanted.

#4 silverslugger

silverslugger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

Does anyone on here have any faith that the Twins front office tracks and understands the "real" cost and going rate for free agents when it comes to advanced metrics?

#5 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

According to Fangraphs, data from last season suggestes that 1 WAR is equal to somewhere between 4-5 million. That's a win above replacement level, not a win. A win, for WAR purposes is somewhere around 10 runs I believe? So no, the long and short is no, they're not the same. But without the numbers in front of me I'm not entirely sure what that figure is, and since I'm at work on a Saturday I cant quite go find the numbers for you, but head over to Fangraphs and you should be able to find way more data on the subject than you've ever wanted.

Would the cost of 1 WAR on the open market be greater than the value attributed by fangraphs when assessing player value?