Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Nick Blackburn had elbow surgery

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,243 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

The Twins also announced this afternoon that RHP Nick Blackburn had arthroscopic elbow surgery to remove bone chips last Thursday.

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

Was the last Twins pitcher to have bone spurs removed Joe Nathan? Nathan blamed the procedure for causing his ligament damage and the ensuing TJ surgery and I don't think anyone disagreed with his assesment.

#3 Craig in MN

Craig in MN

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

I guess that's it....Nick Blackburn's surgery is going to ruin his pitching career.

Sarcasm aside, anything Blackburn can change before next years is good thing. At least if there was a medical issue resolved, there is a glimmer of hope that he will bounce back to have some value.

#4 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

I guess that's it....Nick Blackburn's surgery is going to ruin his pitching career.

Sarcasm aside, anything Blackburn can change before next years is good thing. At least if there was a medical issue resolved, there is a glimmer of hope that he will bounce back to have some value.

Agreed. Now instead of being the worst pitcher in baseball, maybe he can only be bottom-third.

#5 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

The only thing that can possibly help Blackburn is arm replacement surgery.

#6 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

How about turning him into a cyborg (if only that were possible)? That pretty much removes the risk of his arm getting injured, and we would end up with one of the fastest pitchers in all of baseball in the deal.

#7 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:57 PM

Nick Blackburn underwent arthroscopic surgery on October 25 to remove a bone chip from his right elbow.

It was a relatively minor procedure, and Blackburn is expected to be 100 percent for spring training. The veteran right-hander will be a non-roster invitee and must impress next spring to earn a spot in the Opening Day rotation. He posted an ugly 7.39 ERA and 1.71 WHIP over 19 starts this season.

Source: Joe Christensen on Twitter

#8 Henlan

Henlan

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

Blackburn is not good. I don't want him back on this team.

#9 sorney

sorney

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

How about turning him into a cyborg (if only that were possible)? That pretty much removes the risk of his arm getting injured, and we would end up with one of the fastest pitchers in all of baseball in the deal.

Only if he gets one of those red eyes that open and close like a lens....those are scary.

#10 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,792 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

Any word if they inserted some talent while they had him opened up?
Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

#11 Craig in MN

Craig in MN

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

Wow. I started the snark, but I expected a little bit of positivity from someone. He wouldn't be the first sinkerballer who fell off a cliff due to not finishing off his pitches well, due to a little junk in his elbow. That's connecting the dots a little bit, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is back to being above replacement level in 2013.

#12 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

The bone chips could explain why Blackburn had altered his mechanics (Parker Hagerman analysis last June).

#13 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

Wow. I started the snark, but I expected a little bit of positivity from someone. He wouldn't be the first sinkerballer who fell off a cliff due to not finishing off his pitches well, due to a little junk in his elbow. That's connecting the dots a little bit, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is back to being above replacement level in 2013.

I would be surprised.

#14 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

They should perform the same procedure that was performed on that kid in the movie "Rookie of the Year"

#15 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

I'm not sure it's possible to remove enough bone chips for that to happen.

#16 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

I wouldn't be surprised, I'd be flat out shocked.

#17 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

They should perform the same procedure that was performed on that kid in the movie "Rookie of the Year"

Yes, but not just that, he would need "Angels in the Outfield" to help with his non-sinking meatballs.

#18 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

The same people will snark about the Twins being idiots for letting Blackburn go if he pitches well elsewhere.

#19 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

Only if he gets one of those red eyes that open and close like a lens....those are scary.

Yeah, but then wouldn't he want to take over the world? Isn't that kind of a pre-req for all scary looking cyborgs? If that was the case, we should trade him to the Yankees.

#20 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

The same people will snark about the Twins being idiots for letting Blackburn go if he pitches well elsewhere.

I don't know. I don't hear a lot about the "mis-handling" of RA Dickey...

#21 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

If Nick Blackburn catches on with another team and turns his career around, I promise I won't rip the Twins for losing him in that unlikely scenario.

#22 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

No true,at least for me. If he pitches well somewhere else so be it, right now there is simply no good reason for the Twins to believe that will happen and very little chance it does.

#23 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

or cranial rectal inversion surgery, to remove his head from his ...

#24 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

I already have a rough draft started, blasting the Twins for the way they handled Blackburn. I plan to publish it on this site next May or June when he is 5-2 with an ERA around 3.5 for some national league team.:P