Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Stop Signs?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

OK, for those of you who actually played the game and aren't just spectators like me:

I'm watching the Washington-St. Louis game this afternoon, and on a bloop hit to RF Ian Desmond, who was on second, decides to run through the stop sign his coach was given him and come home. The throw was off-line and Desmond scored, so in one sense it worked.

My question is: is there going to be fallout from that in the clubhouse after? Are players expected to follow coach's signals or do they have the latitude to disregard them and substitute their own judgment? Does it matter that in this case it worked out, or would the reaction (if any) be the same regardless of the outcome?

Genuinely curious.

#2 Paul

Paul

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

I can offer my experience. There are many many factors involved but, generally, if the play is in front of them or in their view, veteran players are allowed to judge the play for themselves...under the assumption they are better judges of their speed than the coach. If a player's judgement proves faulty, or he demonstrates a lack of understanding of the factors the affect the risk/reward equation that governs the go/stop decision, this privilege will be revoked. Rule of thumb: If there is ANY doubt...listen to the coach.