Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Homer-Happy Hendriks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...-Happy-Hendriks

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

I think that there is domination and there is domination in the minors. Slowey had only one season with WHIP higher than 0.834 (and that was 0.958) And his highest full season ERA in the minor before that call up was 2.12. Slowey's worst seasons would be Hendriks' career seasons and Hendriks is pretty darn good.

Small sample size to talk about HRs. ... A good comparable to Hendriks is Frankie Viola who made his debut (like Hendriks) at age 22 and had a full season at age 23. Both of those season were not remarkable and then Frankie got the changeup going and became Frankie. Hope that Hendriks follows that trajectory...

#3 peterb18

peterb18

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

Without getting into the stat stuff--it maybe that Liam just doesn't have the ability to do well at the next level. He has had plenty of opportunity--something like 17 starts with one win. I just don't like the action of his ball---it comes in too flat. He reminds of a shortstop throwing the ball--kind of a slinger, or little bit of a short arm action. But, I hope I'm wrong on this opinion.

#4 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

He will adjust. It takes some guys longer than others. Guys that aren't big power arms take longer IMO. I wouldn't expect Cy-Young results, but I think he'll settle around a 4 ERA.

#5 peterb18

peterb18

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

He will adjust. It takes some guys longer than others. Guys that aren't big power arms take longer IMO. I wouldn't expect Cy-Young results, but I think he'll settle around a 4 ERA.

Really hope you are right on this one! A 4 era in the American league is pretty good. Wonder what the Twins feel internally on Hendricks future?

#6 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

Not necessarily as comparable as Baker made 10 starts @ 23 but @ age 24
Baker
16st 83.1IP 114h 6.37ERA 62k 16bb 17hr's
Liam
15st 78.1IP 101h 6.09ERA 47k 24bb 17hr's
If he turns out as good as Scot was (but injury free) Id be very happy but I am a fan of an injury free Baker
Liam is frustrating right now, but I have tons of faith in him & would almost pencil him in for a spot next yr (esp if he has a similar spring training)

#7 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

I do not like the movement on the ball from Hendriks. The Twins will probably give him a shot next year, but I do not think he is a major league pitcher