Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: What Would You Do? Jared Burton

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:30 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...Do-Jared-Burton

#2 SpantheMan

SpantheMan

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:44 PM

I would be thrilled I the twins made that deal. The first year is basically what you pay for him in arbitration. If he has another decent year, he would get much more than 2/5 in free agency. If he's bad or hurt, you only pay 5m for 2 years of average relief (if hes bad) or 1 year of probably pretty good relief (if he's hurt). Then you also have an option.

#3 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:03 AM

What Burton did this year bears no resemblance to what Blackburn did to earn his contract.
I would think that Burton would not get closer money in free agency if he is the set up guy next year. As top set up men in free agency are getting 4 million the final year of his contract would have to be closer to that number. If it is a three year deal with a 4th year option it would be closer to a 2, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5 and a healthier option amount.

#4 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,354 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:31 AM

I don't believe in signing relievers unless they post multiple above average seasons. If the Twins pursue a two or three year deal after Burton has a stellar 2013 season, I'm all for it. But right now, it's an unnecessary risk.

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:27 AM

The difference, of course, if that if they wait until after the 2013 season, he is a free agent and it will most likely cost significantly more at that time.

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,354 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:35 AM

The difference, of course, if that if they wait until after the 2013 season, he is a free agent and it will most likely cost significantly more at that time.

Ah, I thought he had two years of control.

I'd probably try to do a midseason deal if he performs again.

#7 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:22 AM

Sign him for 2 years at the 4-5 million mark. Worst case scenerio, he goes back to his injury woes and you are out 2 mil a year. This is a low risk/high reward type deal for a very good reliever. How much money did we give Pavano and Capps to sit on the DL for 120 games?

#8 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:22 AM

I would go with a two year deal for around $4.5 million ($1.75/2.75). By 2015, if the Twins still need Jared Burton, then there will have been a breakdown with a whole number of relief prospects, so let's just hope there is no need for that.

#9 Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

I would try to sign him for two years at the 4 million mark and let Capps walk.

#10 dklien

dklien

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

I would not be in favor of signing Burton to an extension unless the Twins think it would help his trade value (I am not sure if it would or not). Relievers are one position that is relatively easy to fill. Both Burton and Fien were aquired for nothing this year. To me it doesn't make sense to tie up money for an excellent set up reliever when 90+ games a year the Twins are losing in the eighth inning. I really believe it is time to trade off any assets the Twins have and start over.

#11 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:43 AM

I'd be ok with 3 years/6 million because the risk is pretty low, I wouldn't really go over that though. Giving extensions to non great RP are a bit risky.

#12 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

For those of you thinking that Burton will give up free agency for 2 million consider Jon Rauch got 3.5 from the Mets. Another good year and he could get a 3/13 deal like Crain or a 3/12 like Guerrier. Do you really think that Burton will give up the chance for that kind of money for 2 million? Do you really think an athlete thinks "What if I get injured?"

#13 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

He will also be 32 entering free agent and coming off another year as a bullpen set-up guy. He would, if successful in 2013, get monies along the lines of Crain or Guerrier, if luck....$3-4 million a year. He isn't tradable if signed to a long-term contract and flops in 2013...another team will just wait to see if he is released before giving him a chance and the Twins would always be on hook for most of the contract. Tough decision. If the Twins can sign him for 2 with a third-year option vs. buyout, I'd go for it.

#14 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

No reason for this until the rotation and infield are fixed. Maybe he's had a good year but he also just missed most of 2 seasons with arm problems.

#15 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

The GM/Front Office can work on more than one or two things at a time. That's kind of like saying "We aren't going to make our 40 man roster decisions until we figure out the SP."

#16 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

I am nervous about a multi yr deal with him considering they NEVER pitched him on 3 consecutive days once. This is something that a reliable late inning reliever is gonna have to do occasionally. With this in mind, I would probably offer 2 yrs with a 3rd yr option based on appearances

#17 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

The GM/Front Office can work on more than one or two things at a time. That's kind of like saying "We aren't going to make our 40 man roster decisions until we figure out the SP."

"Jack of all trades, master of none"
This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

#18 nokomismod

nokomismod

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

I'm all for going for a 3 year $6 million contract on Burton. That would be a good contract for an important player.

#19 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

If he signs a multi-year contract--second year will have to be $3 million or he wont take it. I would not be in a rush to commit $3 million to a 32 year old pitcher with an injury history. Offer 2 year $5million and see what happens--if nothing go to arbitration or sign him for 1 year and 2 million (maybe 2.3)...not an urgent situation he is under Twins control for another year.

#20 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

Too much... What you are suggesting is a deal better than the one Perkins got. No way the Twins should do this.

#21 SpantheMan

SpantheMan

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

For those of you thinking that Burton will give up free agency for 2 million consider Jon Rauch got 3.5 from the Mets. Another good year and he could get a 3/13 deal like Crain or a 3/12 like Guerrier. Do you really think that Burton will give up the chance for that kind of money for 2 million? Do you really think an athlete thinks "What if I get injured?"

I would assume they don't just ignore the fact that they might get injured. That's why they like contract security. Especially Burton, who has been injured a lot in his career. Besides, no agent would let his guy assume he won't get injured.

#22 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

I think the 6.5 million for 3 years would be a great siging for the Twins but I think the ability to earn incentives makes it a fair for both sides contract. maybe add 300-500k per year incentives to that contract and its great for both sided.

#23 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

He is 31.

As a set up reliever, he will never make outrageous dollars.

Why would we buy his 33 year old season now?

It is more likely that he will be out of the majors by the end of the 2014 season than it is likely he will put up two more seasons like his 2012 effort.

The Twins must not make long term decisions based on a single aberrant season.

#24 Dave T

Dave T

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

I would give Burton the same deal as Perkins got. Lock up the guys you want to keep.

#25 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

I think locking him up for 3 years with an option would be a great idea. If you can keep it in the range discussed, go for it. How many teams are missing the playoffs this year because of bullpen meltdowns in the first two months of the season.

#26 StormJH1

StormJH1

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:16 AM

I'd be ok with 3 years/6 million because the risk is pretty low, I wouldn't really go over that though. Giving extensions to non great RP are a bit risky.

Totally agree. It's worth pointing out that while many of us beat up on Mauer's contract, the Twins arguably did more damage (for less gain) by their policy of giving extensions/new deals to several mediocre players like Blackburn, etc. They've done that short term with relievers like Capps too, though it would be rough to beat up on them too much since they let SEVERAL critical relief pitchers walk for bigger deals in the past few seasons (Guerrier, Crain, Nathan, etc.)

#27 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

I am not a big believer in signing relievers to multi-year contracts. Occasionally the situation warrants it (Nathan, Perkins), but most of the time, you don't know what you are going to get. Relievers can be up and down so much from season to season. Additionally, finding capable relievers from the scrap heap or the minors is relatively simple (just look at the Twins this year).

#28 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

At his age and injury history 2 yrs with a 3rd yr option is as far as I would go.

#29 snepp

snepp

Speediest Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

At his age and injury history 2 yrs with a 3rd yr option is as far as I would go.

Sounds like a winner to me.
"Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
- Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

#30 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

I like the guy, he has pitched well, but hasn't pitched a ton of innings, has had arm problems and is 31 years old. I just question handing out a 3 year deal.