Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Should Scott Diamond Be Shutdown?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 795 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:50 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...ond-be-shutdown

#2 wavedog

wavedog

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

I would lean to shutting him down. He has pitched 188 innings which is 16% higher than last year. He is not pitching that well and we don't need him to push him and have that result in an injury. There is no Strasburg impact to having him miss the playoffs so shut him down. The only question I had is do we we have any starters that could take his place? I guess Duensing could move into the starting rotation.

#3 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

They didn't call anyone up to take his place, so no.

#4 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,332 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:36 AM

Yes only 15 games left. Better safe than sorry!

#5 Forever34

Forever34

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

Part of me says yes, he is clearly ineffective at this point and the innings count is the most likely cause. You don't want to risk injury for what is expected to be at least our second best starting pitcher either.

The Bert Byleven in me says: "No, quit being a pussy. This will build up his arm strength and stamina and he'll be a better pitcher for it. Plus dealing with adversity is important for the mental aspect of pitching. Get me another beer."

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

Sit him down. I think we need to have another look at Drew Butera's arm. Drew's best shot at making the team next year may be in the rotation anyway.

#7 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

give him one more start, then sit him. Let Duensing get his final starts.

#8 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

Absolutely not....his innings are fine & he's not even @ 20% yet. He needs to build future arm strength for future & also figure out how to fight thru periods of bein hit hard. His velocity is there, showing his arm if fine & that he's just bein hit harder....not the first period this yr where thats happenned. He fought thru the first time.
Im not really sure if he's a real pitcher for future or just had a good 3 months....wouldn't be the first guy to fool an organization.
Scot's not 21/22 either....he needs to prove he's a future workhorse capable of 200innings a yr........its only 2 or 3 more starts

#9 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

Yes shut him down--nothing to be gained if he pitches another 15-20 innings. While slight, he could risk long-term injury by pitching with a tired arm.

#10 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

i heard that scott diamond has changed his name to scott cubic zirconia. if he continues his performance trend that has surfaced in the last 5 outings (the bean ball attempt start counts...... and it didn't start good) he will end up around 11-11 with an era 4.00-4.20! that looks an awful lot like blackburn at his best. not a pleasant image.

Edited by h2oface, 18 September 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#11 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

I leaned toward yes at first also, but Bert came to me also and reminded me that this is a big boy game. You learn and get better by gutting through the tough times. What good does shutting him down do? Avoid injury? Are you ****ing kidding me? Instead of letting him try to finish the season strong and going into the offseason with confidence you want to pull the plug at the first sign of adversity? These aren't fragile teenage girls. Get a grip dudes. Even if he gets rocked, who cares? He needs to get better and be able to finish a season. I've had enough of the coddling. This is baseball. Mauer and Morneau have been ripped for not finishing seasons, and this year they actually are. Mauer is a little dinged up, but I bet he still plays.

#12 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,450 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

I was all for phasing him out of the rotation gently a month ago. Give him a day or two extra between starts, pull him an inning early, that sort of thing.

Now? I don't think it matters much. He only has three starts left.

#13 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

This is all going on the assumption that his inning count is what has caused his recent drop in performance.

That may be, but let's not rule out that this might be who he really is. He had a great start, and is probably our best bet for a rotation role next year, but let's be honest and admit that his early season performance far exceeded his expected value going into the season.

I play golf, and I believe firmly that, no matter how well I play on the first 15 holes, the last 3 will almost inevitably bring my score back to what it really should be.

#14 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

This rotation is really hurting... They are only 4.5 hearthy starters (Walters is the .5). Shut down Diamond and you have issues...

Funny thing and shows how bad the Twins' rotation has been this season: The olden days the magic number was 200 IP a season and we were saying that there were few Twins that hit that. Look at the numbers. This season only Diamond will hit more than 150 and only him and Duensing more than 100. If there is one to shut down, that would be Duensing IMNSHO

#15 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

The Bert Byleven in me says: "No, quit being a pussy. This will build up his arm strength and stamina and he'll be a better pitcher for it. Plus dealing with adversity is important for the mental aspect of pitching. Get me another beer."

This part. And get me another beer.

#16 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

I think it should be up to Scott. If he feels great and wants to pitch let him. If he is hurting, tired and having problems, he should take a rest.

#17 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:42 PM

This rotation is really hurting... They are only 4.5 hearthy starters (Walters is the .5). Shut down Diamond and you have issues...

Funny thing and shows how bad the Twins' rotation has been this season: The olden days the magic number was 200 IP a season and we were saying that there were few Twins that hit that. Look at the numbers. This season only Diamond will hit more than 150 and only him and Duensing more than 100. If there is one to shut down, that would be Duensing IMNSHO

DeVries had 150 innings this year. The Twins starters are so bad they could use the bullpen for a couple innings each as there are 9 bullpen arms plus the staff leader in ERA, who happens to play a vital role as third string catcher, available to do a game if need be.

Edited by old nurse, 19 September 2012 - 12:18 AM.