Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Twins agre to Class A affiliation agreement with Cedar Rapids

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

The Twins and Cedar Rapids Kernels have agreed to enter a PDC agreement for the next 4 years. A formal announcement should come on Wednesday. My Knuckleballs post on the subject:

http://knuckleballsb...h-cedar-rapids/
I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#2 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

I really do know how to spell "agree."

Just got a little excited, I guess.
I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

I know a happy man :)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 nowheresville

nowheresville

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

Its a sad day in Southern Wisconsin, although certainly not unexpected. Cedar Rapids has seemed like a perfect fit for the Twins, and hopefully it's a good relationship that lasts just as long as it takes to build a new ballpark in Beloit!

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,252 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

I just posted on Facebook that this news is hitting me with some seriously mixed emotions. I fully understand the decision to leave and to go to Cedar Rapids. Personally, I LOVE going to Beloit. The people. The Front Office. They may not get a ton of fans in attendance, but I've been able to meet a bunch of them, and they were die hard Twins fans in the heart of Brewers country. I'll have to go to Cedar Rapids, if only to hang out with JC... but I'll have to keep my annual Beloit trip plans too!!

#6 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,487 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

Hats off to you, JC, for staying on top of this story all summer/fall (okay maybe not fall by the calendar but it feels like fall tonight)!

And LOL, I just realized that it is further for me to CR than for TC residents but definitely closer than Beloit.

#7 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

Its a sad day in Southern Wisconsin, although certainly not unexpected. Cedar Rapids has seemed like a perfect fit for the Twins, and hopefully it's a good relationship that lasts just as long as it takes to build a new ballpark in Beloit!

I do hope Beloit gets that new stadium. The fans and the front office there deserve it and I would love to see Beloit secure their place in the MWL long in to the future.

#8 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

One other nice thing about visiting Cedar Rapids to see the Twins: it's close to the Field Of Dreams in Dyersville. That is a very cool place.

#9 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

Opening day will be April 4 next year. The Kernels will be hosting the Beloit Snappers:go:

#10 Rick Niedermann

Rick Niedermann

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:53 PM

This is very good news to a Twins fan from Waterloo.

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,252 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:35 AM

Opening day will be April 4 next year. The Kernels will be hosting the Beloit Snappers:go:

Someone I know may have to make an effort to be there!!! Fun!

#12 Head First

Head First

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:18 AM

Thanks for staying on top of the story and providing us with great info Jim. I look forward to your coverage of the team next season.

#13 MWLFan

MWLFan

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:19 AM

JC living the dream man. I will miss the trips to Beloit as like Seth has said the folks down there who actually support the team and the Snappers front office are great in everyway. I have been taking my family to Snappers games for 8 years? Is that possible. My boy turning 9 this year has only known the Snappers as his team, I tried explaining that we will still go down to catch Snappers games but not when they are playing the Kernals so we can all root for the Snappers. Now we have to get all new gear.

JC I will look for you to say hello, I expect you will be the man with biggest smile in the park.

#14 cattlefeeder

cattlefeeder

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:34 AM

I'm another big Twins fan in Iowa, from just south of Iowa City. My kids are going to get to see a lot of baseball next year.

#15 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

Should be a good first year with many of the champions on the E-Twins getting promoted.

#16 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

Should be a good first year with many of the champions on the E-Twins getting promoted.

can't judge how the low-a team will do based on e-town numbers but next year should feature the likes of buxton, berrios, kepler, polanco, goodrum, walker, boyd, harrison, mata, robb, duffey, chargois and bard. good lord.

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,252 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

Joe Christensen just confirmed and announces that it is a four-year agreement. http://www.startribu.../170203986.html

Of course, Jim Crikket posted the announcement about 16 hours ago!

#18 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

Joe Christensen just confirmed and announces that it is a four-year agreement. http://www.startribu.../170203986.html

Yeah, but Joe's probably just makin' crap up, too.

#19 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

OK since my previous response got flagged for moderation, I'll rephrase...

Yeah, but I'm sure Joe C is just making "stuff" up, too.

#20 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

I was shown the ballpark dimensions, 315 down the left field line with quite a long HR porch continuing out for several yards. If Adam Walker gets promoted straight to Low A the Twins may have two consecutive Midwest League HR champs.

#21 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

I was shown the ballpark dimensions, 315 down the left field line with quite a long HR porch continuing out for several yards. If Adam Walker gets promoted straight to Low A the Twins may have two consecutive Midwest League HR champs.

Yeah, as long as he doesn't just hit line drives down that line. The wall down in that corner is a high one and I've seen a lot of runners thrown out at 2B on balls played off that corner wall.

#22 Curt

Curt

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

Who gets Beloit then?

#23 jtrinaldi

jtrinaldi

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

Who gets Beloit then?

Likely Oakland.
Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
http://www.facebook....256164664420932

#24 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

I think this is a great idea. Too bad my sister in law moved away to another part if Iowa.....

#25 nowheresville

nowheresville

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

It's official...

http://www.milb.com/...t=.jsp&sid=t492

#26 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

The logo - a baseball bat dressed as corn -- does not seem as cool as the Beloit turtle.

#27 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

The logo - a baseball bat dressed as corn -- does not seem as cool as the Beloit turtle.

I'd argue that the Beloit turtle is a top 5 mascot in minor league baseball. The Kernel? not so much

#28 striker_86

striker_86

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

this would be a fun stop on the way to of for a game

#29 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

Walker had 17 HRs in 64 games. If he can improve along with the upgrade in competition - you might be right? I'm anxious to see what DJ Hicks can do with a full healthy season as well. And Romy Jimenez was off to a tremendous HR / Doubles - season (led league in every category) before he got hurt. With the pitching Low A should have through the first half of season - Things could be exciting in CR

#30 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:54 AM

I think this is awesome- I’ve never been to the Field of Dreams site and have wanted to go back to the Quad Cities area so you could do all of them in one trip! Call me crazy but I wouldn’t mind if the Twins didn’t get an affiliate in St. Paul. I think going to other areas to watch the minor leaguers is a good reason for a road trip…