Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Parmelee at Third?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

I think there is a majority opinion that we have to find AB's for Parmelee. We have a boatload of good outfielders, we are really short of talent at every position in the infield, except first base.

Can Chris Parmelee play any worse at third than Plouffe? Other than the 6 week run where Plouffe hit every thing that was thrown near the plate, I would have to give him a failing grade in 2012. He has continued his inconsistent play in the field and his hot streak didn't last that long. I think we are now seeing the real Plouffe. If we stick with him at third we will see inconsistent play in the field at best and flashes at the plate but more than likely a .245, 12 HR, 45 RBI guy.

Would it really hurt to give Parmelee 20 games at third base to end the season? Just to see what we have? I have always thought he showed some pretty good glove while at first and I really think he will have more consistent at bats than Plouffe, if given the chance.

We are heading into the offseason with question marks at 3B, SS and 2nd. It sure would be nice to see someone grab one of those spots with some solid play over the final 3 weeks of the season.

#2 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

Plouffe is still playing with his thumb issue. Not a fair criticism if you ask me. When we found out exactly what it was, I thought he was in for a tough rest of the season. Inconsistent at 3b? He has been much better than expected and continues to improve. He'll never be a gold glover, but fielding at 3b has been adequate. I realize he had one good streak, but the streak ended with his injury... which kept him out a month... and had to alter the way he holds the bat to avoid putting pressure on the nerve causing the discomfort. I'd like to see him rebound too, but his season this year has given him the opportunity to see what he has next year.

Parmelee at 3b? No. Its one thing to put him out in RF where he has a lot of experience, its another to put him at 3b where he has none.

#3 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,052 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

Nope

#4 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

Plouffe had another error at third last night, however once again the official scorekeeper called it a hit. Don't get me wrong, I have wanted to find a spot for Plouffe ever since he made it to the majors. I would have actually given him a longer lease at SS, thinking he would eventually work his way out of his throwing problems. I just don't see him coming up with the ball, when it is sharply hit in his direction. The guy is a great athlete, seems like a good team mate, but to play in the majors, you have to contribute with the glove or the bat. I think Plouffe is below average in both areas.

I hope you are right and that the thumb is bothering him. He had a great run prior to the All star break. Although I don't think he will even turn into an average fielder at third, we can overlook his fielding shortcomings if he returns to that guy that stuck with Willingham homer for homer for a while. Like I mentioned, If Plouffe is the answer, that is the end of the discussion. I have a feeling that we are now seeing the real Plouffe and that we will continue our search for a third basemen. Parmelee needs to find a home. If you can hit, being average in the field will work.

#5 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,052 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:33 AM

Plouffe had another error at third last night, however once again the official scorekeeper called it a hit. Don't get me wrong, I have wanted to find a spot for Plouffe ever since he made it to the majors. I would have actually given him a longer lease at SS, thinking he would eventually work his way out of his throwing problems. I just don't see him coming up with the ball, when it is sharply hit in his direction. The guy is a great athlete, seems like a good team mate, but to play in the majors, you have to contribute with the glove or the bat. I think Plouffe is below average in both areas.

I hope you are right and that the thumb is bothering him. He had a great run prior to the All star break. Although I don't think he will even turn into an average fielder at third, we can overlook his fielding shortcomings if he returns to that guy that stuck with Willingham homer for homer for a while. Like I mentioned, If Plouffe is the answer, that is the end of the discussion. I have a feeling that we are now seeing the real Plouffe and that we will continue our search for a third basemen. Parmelee needs to find a home. If you can hit, being average in the field will work.

First off, there is no reason why Plouffe can't be average or close to average at 3B, prior to the injury he was playing just fine. I'm not sure how he was "below average" at the plate as well, he was hitting close to a .900 OPS prior to the injury.

You also just can't assume Parmelee would be average in the field at third base when there is about a 99.9% he wouldn't. It would most likely be a disaster, and there is a reason why Parmelee has only played 1B/RF coming up in the minors, if there was even a slight chance he could play anything else, they already would have given him reps.

Last and most damning of all, Parmelee throws with his left hand. Lefties don't play third base. There have been 4 in the history of the game who have played more then 50 games at the position.

Case closed?

#6 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,860 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

Parmelee puts his glove on the wrong hand for 3B.

Not only would he have to play a position he has never played before. He would have to spin around and do a unique dance before making throws across the diamond. That's a tough thing to add to a guy who hasn't played the position before.

#7 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:40 AM

There is a difference between making throws from third to any base, and just catching them.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,278 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

Can Chris Parmelee play any worse at third than Plouffe?

Absolutely yes. First, he's not as athletic as Plouffe, but he's also left-handed!!

#9 StormJH1

StormJH1

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

Left-handed! D'oh. I'm all for thinking out of the box, but let's be real here.

#10 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

Ok, we shot down the Parmelee at third experiment before it even got off the ground. I still want to find a spot for Parmelee and the only openings I see are at 3B, SS and 2B.

I think Justin is back and the only starts he will be giving away next year at first will be for Joe. I just can't see Parmelee and Doumit splitting time at DH for a whole season. I hope I'm wrong about Plouffe. It would be nice to have a productive player at 3B that can make the routine plays. I'm not proficient with the fielding statics, but how has Trevor done at 3B so far? In my mind he hasn't passed the eye test. As far as I know, his thumb issues have not affected his fielding.

#11 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,500 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

Why do we go through this cycle of thinking everybody who has a hot bat for a period of time should shift position so we can get them in the line-up? If it is that easy to play third, why have the Twins been searching for a good 3B man since the prime of Corey Koskie?

I agree that Plouffe hasn't had time to really show what he can do since his thumb injury. Unfortunately he was hurt just as pitchers were adjusting to him so we haven't yet really seen if he would then be able to make adjustments himself. And we don't know if the thumb is affecting his fielding.

I don't know if Plouffe is the answer but I have some confidence that putting Parmelee in to play 3B in the majors when he appears to have only played outfield and 1B in the minors is NOT the right thing to do.

OOPS! I probably would have written something different if I had refreshed my browser before posting. I stand by what I said but it seems a little "off" given the comments right before it.

Edited by JB_Iowa, 09 September 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#12 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

The defensive metrics haven't been nice to Plouffe. I haven't watched many games in the last month, but the ones I have watched I don't think he's looked great, but acceptable. Maybe he wont be the answer, but the Twins will give him the chance to find out.

#13 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,278 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

Ok, we shot down the Parmelee at third experiment before it even got off the ground. I still want to find a spot for Parmelee and the only openings I see are at 3B, SS and 2B.

Isn't the assumption, at this point, that the Twins will trade Span, move Revere to CF and they'll play Parmelee in RF most days next year?

#14 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,494 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

Third base, outside of catcher, is the most unique position on the field. Plouffe is a shortstop so he definitely has the range. It takes time to adjust to being ~10 feet closer to the batter at third and unsurprisingly, Trevor has struggled with his reaction time at the hot corner. It's a different world at third; you have no time to set yourself up for the ball and the position is dominated by instinct and reflex, not necessarily range. Trevor definitely has the arm to stick at the position so that's not a concern.

In short, Plouffe needs more time. Third is a tough position to play and it's going to take him time to adjust. An offseason and a full Spring Training at third should help him considerably (along with healing his thumb). If he's still flailing away out there in early June, then you consider moving him off the position for good.

#15 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

Plouffe has played very little 3B, let's give him another year....

The answer is easy, trade Morneau, and sign some starting pitching. Put Hicks or Arcia in RF. This isn't really that hard to figure out.
Lighten up Francis....

#16 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

wasnt sure how serious the question was........it was???

#17 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,141 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

Short answer, no.

Long answer, noooooooooooooo.

#18 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

I think Justin is back and the only starts he will be giving away next year at first will be for Joe. I just can't see Parmelee and Doumit splitting time at DH for a whole season. I hope I'm wrong about Plouffe. It would be nice to have a productive player at 3B that can make the routine plays. I'm not proficient with the fielding statics, but how has Trevor done at 3B so far? In my mind he hasn't passed the eye test. As far as I know, his thumb issues have not affected his fielding.

I really don't think the Twins will make it through another season with Mauer/Morneau/doumit/Willingham all being healthy. The playing time issue will work itself out and there's even a chance that we're short solid hitters at 1B/DH next year due to injury/trades.

#19 Curt

Curt

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

George Brett, Wade Boggs and Mike Schmidt were all pretty poor fielding third basemen in the beginning of their careers. All three became gold glove winners, Schmidt quickly and often... Boggs and Brett later in their careers. Of course, they only got the chance to improve because they hit the hell out of the ball. So Plouffe should emulate that.

#20 Celebrity Weddings!

Celebrity Weddings!

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

I'm comfortable with the possibility that there is a hypothetical player who is athletic enough to play third base in spite of throwing left-handed. I do not believe, however, that Chris Parmelee is the specific manifestation of that talent.

#21 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,860 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

I'm comfortable with the possibility that there is a hypothetical player who is athletic enough to play third base in spite of throwing left-handed. I do not believe, however, that Chris Parmelee is the specific manifestation of that talent.

I agree... Never say never... Who knows what the future brings. However... That hypothetical player will have to survive his high school coach who will look at him throwing left handed and hand him a 1st base mitt. If he survives the high school coach... He will have to survive his college coach who is laughing at the high school coach while handing him a 1st base mitt. If he survives the high school coach and the college coach... He will have to survive the MLB front office and all of the scouts and coaches employed by the organization that drafts him.

And... If he survives High School, College and MLB and is still playing 3B at the professional level. He will have to survive the very talented other 3B in the organization who are right handed... Top of the line athletes who don't have to spin around completely just to make a throw on every ground ball hit to his right.

Also knowing all of that... If I was that left handed third baseman. I would be begging my high school coach to be taken off of 3B and moved to 1B or OF... Because if you have the talent to be a major league player. The coaches will have seriously harmed his future by being irresponsible.

#22 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

Short answer, no.

Long answer, noooooooooooooo.

looooooooooooool

#23 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

I had to double check to make sure this wasn't the STrib blogs.

#24 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

Don't think you now give up on Plouffe just yet...his thumb injury really set him back and you have been this patient so far why not give him every chance to come in next yr and keep the 3B job?? and learning a new position at the ML level is not that simple, if Morneau is still here next season Parm will be the RF...if not he'll be the 1B but either Span/Justin or both will most certainly be gone cuz Parm will be in the lineup.

#25 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

Lefties don't play third base. There have been 4 in the history of the game who have played more then 50 games at the position.

Wow. I'm kind of shocked it's even that many.

#26 Paul

Paul

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

Lefties don't play third base. There have been 4 in the history of the game who have played more then 50 games at the position.

Wow. I'm kind of shocked it's even that many.

I don't know but I would guess they're all from the mid 1800's

#27 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

Morneau will be gone next year, either at the trade deadline or leaving via free agency, then the first base job will be Parmalee's.

#28 nokomismod

nokomismod

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

Parmelee puts his glove on the wrong hand for 3B.

Not only would he have to play a position he has never played before. He would have to spin around and do a unique dance before making throws across the diamond. That's a tough thing to add to a guy who hasn't played the position before.

It's funny how many posts it took to get to this little but important detail.

#29 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

The answer is easy, trade Morneau, and sign some starting pitching. Put Hicks or Arcia in RF. This isn't really that hard to figure out.

A big yup on that one. Twins are in yet another transition period, and they're going to need more pitching. Trade Morneau and Span for pitching, play Parmelee and bring up Hicks and Arcia. Even us peanut gallery folk can read the crayon on that wall.