Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Brett Anderson

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

With Oakland's history of trading SP for prospects what would it take to acquire Brett Anderson? His contract looks very manageable 13:$5.5M, 14:$8M club option ($1.5M buyout), 15:$12M club option ($1.5M buyout)

#2 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

I wouldn't give up much more then a C+ prospect or two for him, pretty injury prone which is the last thing this staff needs.

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

That's a nice idea, especially seeing as he's already had the TJ surgery. It seems to me though that Beane always gets back at least one top pitching prospect back in return for his arms. Gio Gonzalez got Brad Peacock, Tommy Milone and AJ Cole, Trevor Cahill somehow got Jared Parker, Dan Haren got Anderson, Mark Mulder got Haren and Tim Hudson got Dan Meyer.

The Twins don't have much in the way of top pitching prospects. Kyle Gibson might qualify, but even someone like JO Berrios may not interest the A's as the previously mentioned top prospects were all MLB or near MLB ready aside from Cole.

On a side note, thus far Beane only missed on Meyer. That track record is unbelievable, and really makes me fear getting fleeced.

Edited by nicksaviking, 04 September 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#4 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

That's a nice idea, especially seeing as he's already had the TJ surgery. It seems to me though that Beane always gets back at least one top pitching prospect back in return for his arms. Gio Gonzalez got Brad Peacock, Tommy Milone and AJ Cole, Cahill somehow got Jared Parker, Dan Haren got Anderson, Mark Mulder got Haren and Tim Hudson got Dan Meyer.

The Twins don't have much in the way of top pitching prospects. Kyle Gibson might qualify, but even someone like JO Barrio may not interest the A's as the previously mentioned top prospects were all MLB or near MLB ready aside from Cole.

On a side note, thus far Beane only missed on Meyer. That track record is unbelievable, and really makes me fear getting fleeced.

No way would I trade Berrios now for Anderson, nor could he be traded even.

Also, Beane wouldn't sell a guy like Anderson at such a low point anyways, as they are in no rush. Better off letting him gain some more value in the future.

#5 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

I'm not sure if Beane has a track record of trading for pitching prospects or if he approaches trades as taking the best available talent and worrying about where to play them later. I think Beane would be more than happy to take a hitting prospect or two.

If you really want the Twins to be competitive next season then this is the type of move that you make but it's going to cost you something like Arcia and a lesser prospect. sign a decent FA, trade for Anderson, Diamond, sign/rehab Baker with Gibson up by midseason and Hendriks available. That could be a solid/really good rotation. It sucks to give up top prospects but that what it would take for those that want to win now.

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

I agree, I wouldn't have interest in trading Berrios as a PTBL. I guess my only point was that even if the Twins had pitchers to offer in the lower ranks, it's not Billy Beane's MO to acquire those guys. It's nearly always pitchers ready to join the A's rotaion the following season.

Trading Anderson at this point does seem counter-intuitive, but Beane seems to always get someone to bite if he is inclined to move a guy. Cahill took a step back last year after his breakout 2010 season, and despite an unimpressive career K/9 and a pretty ugly 2011 WHIP, he was still able to snag a top 30 prospect for the guy.

Edited by nicksaviking, 04 September 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#7 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:39 PM

Wait a year and give them Wimmers.

#8 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

I'd probably trade a package built around Hicks for Anderson, and have to think Oakland would strongly consider it.

#9 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:17 AM

I'd probably trade a package built around Hicks for Anderson, and have to think Oakland would strongly consider it.

Might as well trade Hicks.Twins don't need a CF with a cannon throwing arm with speed and xbh/obp power.
Have Ben Revere, and that's enough. ;)

#10 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

Might as well trade Hicks.Twins don't need a CF with a cannon throwing arm with speed and xbh/obp power.
Have Ben Revere, and that's enough. ;)

Believe me, I'm not excited about the idea of dealing Hicks, but you've got to give up a lot of value in order to trade for a young, ace-caliber pitcher and the club does have some outfield depth.