Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

The Amazing Chicago White Sox

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

Lead by their charismatic and unfallible General Manager Kenny Williams and the upstart tactician extraordinaire Manager Robin Ventura the White Sox have re-entered the baseball scene as a power house baseball club destined for the playoffs and World Series glory.

The Adonis Paul Konerko is the key to the White Sox’s offensive engines, helped out by the fiery, hardnosed Catcher AJ Pierzynski, meat and potatos slugger Adam Dunn, “Every Other Year” Alex Rios, and a handful of impact players that merit some mention – Gordan Beckham, Dayan Viciedo, Alexis Ramirez, Alejandro De Aza, and last but not least Kevin Youkilis.

The starting pitching staff is anchored by the young phenom Chris Sale, Tough luck super star pitcher Jake Peavy, and followed by the solid if not spectacular efforts of Gavin “Christmas” Floyd, Jose Quintana, and former MN Twins Legend – Francisco Liriano.

The bullpen is held down by the young flamethrower Addison Reed and his set-up guys are the outstanding Brett Myers, Matt Thornton, and the beast from North of the Border - Jesse Crain.

The White Sox have the ammunition, but can they hit their targets this fall? My guess is YES, and they will pass the World Series Test!

Opinions?

(Disclaimer: This thread does not represent the true beliefs of Bark’s Lounge and cannot be used as leverage against any future Bark’s Lounge threads or blogs.)

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

Opinions?

I'd love to see them do a 3 and out against someone like the A's or the O's and then crush and burn
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#3 SpantheMan

SpantheMan

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

Maybe we should swing a deal and acquire kenny williams

#4 snepp

snepp

Speediest Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

I'd love to see them do a 3 and out against someone like the A's or the O's and then crush and burn

I could get behind that.
"Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
- Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

#5 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

Opinions?

I am assuming "crush" meant "crash". I think you are wrong... The South Siders are on to World Series glory and Victory!
(Disclaimer: This thread does not represent the true beliefs of Bark’s Lounge and cannot be used as leverage against any future Bark’s Lounge threads or blogs.)

#6 jeffk

jeffk

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

I'm a believer in cheering for division-mates in the post-season when your team doesn't make it. I never understood the thinking behind hoping your geographic copatriots get crushed by the Yankees because you weren't able to do it. I'd love to see them get far.

#7 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

I'm a believer in cheering for division-mates in the post-season when your team doesn't make it. I never understood the thinking behind hoping your geographic copatriots get crushed by the Yankees because you weren't able to do it. I'd love to see them get far.

Hmmm... This is a hard one to swallow, but for the sake of this thread I agree with you. Lex Talionis!!!!

#8 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

Maybe we should swing a deal and acquire kenny williams

That would be great, but if we were to trade for Kenny Williams it would probably cost us Miguel Sano, Eddie Rosario, Byron Buxton and Kyle Gibson as a throw in to that trade... it is tempting though? What the hell! Pull the trigger!

#9 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

Ah, but what about their farm system? There is a reason it is known as the worst in baseball, if I am not mistaken. Also, unfortunatly (for White Sux fans, one of which I am not), I have heard tell that Chris Sale has dropped several mph from his fastball from the beginning of the season to now.

#10 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

As everyone knows - the conversion from relief pitcher to starting pitchers is going to bring a 3- MPH drop. If you are talking about a MPH drop within the season, it happens, arms get tired. He has continued to pitch effectively with good SO numbers. As far as the White Sox minor league system goes, I have nothing to say about that. It is classified.

#11 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:16 PM

They just saw their division lead evaporate by getting swept in Detroit and have now lost 6 of 7. So it seems an odd time to be talking up the Whities.

I've never been sold on them, I don't think they'll make the postseason.

#12 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

They just saw their division lead evaporate by getting swept in Detroit and have now lost 6 of 7. So it seems an odd time to be talking up the Whities.

I've never been sold on them, I don't think they'll make the postseason.

My prediction - The Sox will win the division in the last week, crushing the hearts and souls of the D-Town elite. White Sox for life Yo! On the way to a WS Title! Here we come!

Edited by Bark's Lounge, 02 September 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#13 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

“Every Other Year” Alex Rios.)

First off... I gotta ask "every other year Alex Rios"

Is that yours. Or is it something that had been already attached to him. It's brilliant!!!

Seecondly... A pox on all of the White Sox. If I could... I would... but alas... I don't know how to inflict poxes of any kind.

Heres my list of most hated Sports Teams. (Drum roll please)

Dishonorable Mention: Chicago Blackhawks, Dallas Stars, Oakland Raiders, Dallas Cowboys, Manchester United, Man City, University of Michigan, Ohio State, University of Iowa, Denver U, St. Cloud St. and Minnesota Gophers Hockey Only...actually a fan in everything else.

#5... Detroit Tigers
#4... North Dakota State (pick a sport)
#3... Green Bay Packers
#2... New York Yankees
#1... Chicago White Sox

I gotta say that I really hate the Yankees. My hatred for the Yankees burns with the heat of a thousand suns and they are a distant second.

#14 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

Is that yours. Or is it something that had been already attached to him. It's brilliant!!!

Seecondly... A pox on all of the White Sox. If I could... I would... but alas... I don't know how to inflict poxes of any kind.

Dishonorable Mention: Chicago Blackhawks, Dallas Stars, Oakland Raiders, Dallas Cowboys, Manchester United, Man City, University of Michigan, Ohio State, University of Iowa, Denver U, St. Cloud St. and Minnesota Gophers Hockey Only...actually a fan in everything else.

#5... Detroit Tigers
#3... Green Bay Packers
#2... New York Yankees
#1... Chicago White Sox

I gotta say that I really hate the Yankees. My hatred for the Yankees burns with the heat of a thousand suns and they are a distant second.

Word up RB. Yes, "Every other Year Alex Rios" is my creation, but I would not be surprised if it has been concocted in other regions (it is somewhat obvious). If you remember you gave me the AL - when it comes to AL central opponents, it was going to be tough assignment no matter which way you looked at it. I did the best with what I had and went for it. Once I seen you put out the Cincy Reds thread I had to get my end of the job completed no matter how much I dreaded it. I did put out a disclaimer with my beginning thread and the responses that followed.Let it be clear that the White Sox are my mortal enemy!:)

#15 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

#5... Detroit Tigers
#3... Green Bay Packers
#2... New York Yankees
#1... Chicago White Sox

My most hated list is the following:
Chicago White Sox
Detroit Tigers
Cleveland Indians
Kansas City Royals
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Edited by Bark's Lounge, 02 September 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#16 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:48 AM

Delmon Young hit a three-run homer Sunday off Chris Sale in the victory over the White Sox.

Young had two homers and drove in seven of the Tigers' 16 runs in the three-game sweep of the White Sox. His OPS, which stood at .694 as recently as Aug. 24, is up to .746 now, the highest it's been since April.

#17 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

My most hated list is the following:
Chicago White Sox
Detroit Tigers
Cleveland Indians
Kansas City Royals
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

The White Sox will not survive the first round of the playoffs.

OK, I'll play Most Hated.

1. New York Mets
2. Atlanta Braves
3. Chicago White Sox
4. Detroilet Tigers
5. Miami Marlins (by virtue of the fact that Ozzie Guillen is their manager, if he wasn't it would be...)
5. New York Yankees
"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

#18 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

Why the Mets at #1?

Gotta be a story behind it.

#19 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:54 AM

Why the Mets at #1?

When I was a kid I met Mark Belanger in the summer of 1969. His girlfriend (fiancee?) was the daughter of people my parents knew and they had Mark swing by my house one day after a ballgame. (I grew up in Richfield about 3 miles from Met Stadium.) He gave me a baseball with a bunch of autographs, including my fave player, Brooks Robinson, along with other players, Twins and Orioles. Later that year I went to the 1969 ALCS game at the Met. I caught a foul ball off the bat of Don Buford. The Twins got crushed, BTW.

So I was pulling for the Orioles to beat the Mets in 1969 in the World Series. Where some saw incredible defensive plays by the Mets (Agee, Swoboda, etc.) I saw lucky catches. I saw Al Weis be a beast at the plate and bat double his career batting average. I saw Cleon Jones talk his way onto first base--the famous shoeshine on the baseball incident. In my view, the Mets weren't good, they were lucky.

Fast forward to 1986. Game 6 of the World Series. I desperately want the Red Sox to beat the Mets and lift the curse. It's looking pretty good too with the Sox up 5-3 in the bottom of the 10th. But I'm sitting there thinking about how lucky the Mets were in 1969 and wondering how in the world they were going to wriggle out of it this time. We all know the story, culminated with Buckner's error.

Then there was the swindle of the Twins known as the Johan Santana trade.

So I don't like the Mets very much.
"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

#20 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

Why the Mets at #1?

When I was a kid I met Mark Belanger in the summer of 1969. His girlfriend (fiancee?) was the daughter of people my parents knew and they had Mark swing by my house one day after a ballgame. (I grew up in Richfield about 3 miles from Met Stadium.) He gave me a baseball with a bunch of autographs, including my fave player, Brooks Robinson, along with other players, Twins and Orioles. Later that year I went to the 1969 ALCS game at the Met. I caught a foul ball off the bat of Don Buford. The Twins got crushed, BTW.

So I was pulling for the Orioles to beat the Mets in 1969 in the World Series. Where some saw incredible defensive plays by the Mets (Agee, Swoboda, etc.) I saw lucky catches. I saw Al Weis be a beast at the plate and bat double his career batting average. I saw Cleon Jones talk his way onto first base--the famous shoeshine on the baseball incident. In my view, the Mets weren't good, they were lucky.

Fast forward to 1986. Game 6 of the World Series. I desperately want the Red Sox to beat the Mets and lift the curse. It's looking pretty good too with the Sox up 5-3 in the bottom of the 10th. But I'm sitting there thinking about how lucky the Mets were in 1969 and wondering how in the world they were going to wriggle out of it this time. We all know the story, culminated with Buckner's error.

Then there was the swindle of the Twins known as the Johan Santana trade.

So I don't like the Mets very much.

Fair Enough... Seems like solid reasoning and a cool story to boot.

#21 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

I think the Tigers will have alot to say about that!