Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Aaron Bates vs. Steve Pearce

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 310 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

Let's assume that Parmelee doesn't make the Twins roster and instead starts in Rochester. Then what happens between Aaron Bates and Steve Pearce? I assume neither is sent down to AA? The two are eerily similar. Bates was with the team last year, while Pearce is the newcomer. Any idea what is likely to happen here?

#2 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

Good question. Parmelee has played the outfield a bit, and it sounds like the Twins have been giving Pearce some run at third base early in camp, so it's possible they could send all three to Triple-A and have them rotate between 1B/3B/DH/OF. I have to think the opportunity is ripe for Pearce or Bates to make the 25-man roster though, especially with the Morneau uncertainty and with Gardy talking about wanting to have some pinch-hitting weapons.

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,236 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

On my podast Tuesday night, Bates said that he was a catcher until his last year in college. He said he still goes and catches bullpens when needed in spring training. He should try to get some time behind the plate. I think all three of them go to AAA and move around, like Nick said. Bates has primarily played 1B, but he spent a full season as a LF as well. Pearce has played all over. I think Parmelee gets the prospect status meaning most of the play at 1B.

#4 IowaHawkeyes

IowaHawkeyes

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

I think all three of them will be in AAA

#5 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

You keep all three somewhere. Call it "Mornsurance".

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

If Bates does not make the team (and I hope he does) he can be the 1B/DH in Rochester, alternating with Parmelee. He did that several times last season when Jeff Baily was with the Red Wings, with Baily being the main 1B. Pearce can play OF some and some 3B. Not sure who the 3B in Rochester will be at this point, maybe Chang, but still it will be a revolving door there
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

Forgot about Burroughs... he will be the 3B in Rochester
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#8 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

On my podast Tuesday night, Bates said that he was a catcher until his last year in college. He said he still goes and catches bullpens when needed in spring training. He should try to get some time behind the plate. I think all three of them go to AAA and move around, like Nick said.

I've never seen Bates play, but I think its safe to assume if he could catch at a Major league level, he would certainly be playing there.

#9 jlovren

jlovren

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

Between the two you have to keep Pearce due to his ability to play more than one postion. Poor man's Cuddyer (hopefully)

#10 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:20 AM

Bates has also played LF for significant time. The Twins shifting to 11 pitchers in May would help resolve this, although I expect Pearce to be behind Carson and Burroughs.