Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Big Kahuna Type Trade

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com is reporting via Twitter that The Dodgers and Red Sox are closing in on a blockbuster deal involving A-Gone, Beckett, Crawford, and Our Beloved Nick Punto. WTF? What will Boston get in return? If this happens, it will have to go down as one of the biggest trades in the history of this game... crazy!

#2 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

Zach Lee would have to be a part of this deal.

#3 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

Um, wow. This would be a genius move by Boston if they can pull it off. Crawford, Gonzalez and Beckett are all awful contracts.

Not sure why the Dodgers want to blow their wad this year, but whatever. I guess it's their money to waste.
Magic Johnson isn't exactly the world's greatest investment. (I live in a building that he built 4 years ago and then went bankrupt on)

#4 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

Return would depend on how much salary the Red Sox pay. This could be a straight salary dump, but if real, it could include 2 of the top 4 Dodger prospects. Presume Loony would be going back, but he is a goner at the end of the year. Rest would have to be prospects(mainly pitching).
Do not know why the Dodgers would do this deal, but it would close the book on the Twins doing a deal with them

#5 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

Um, wow. This would be a genius move by Boston if they can pull it off. Crawford, Gonzalez and Beckett are all awful contracts.

Not sure why the Dodgers want to blow their wad this year, but whatever. I guess it's their money to waste.
Magic Johnson isn't exactly the world's greatest investment. (I live in a building that he built 4 years ago and then went bankrupt on)

If it takes most of the money off the books for Boston it would be a great transaction. I have a hard time believing that will be the case though.

#6 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

If so, that is on less team for Morneau to be traded to in the offseason...
Lighten up Francis....

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

This would be awesome if it happened, if only for the crazy amount of talk it would generate.

But why are the Dodgers trying to pick up everyone else's bad contracts?

#8 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

A-Gon scratched from tonights line-up and summoned into the clubhouse along with Punto according to Alex Speier of WEEI.com (via twitter). Somethings going down - but to what extent?

#9 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

Too bad about this deal, which I can almost literally smell coming, because, if it goes through, removes a potentially serious suitor for Morneau from the market and the Dodgers get rid of Loney.

The Dodgers are willing to do this because their new management group is trying desperately to get players that it knows can help them for the rest of this year and for a long time after that, although the Red Sox are going to get slammed by their media for giving up such impact players unless they get something good in return. This sounds like what Billy Beane calls an effing A trade.

#10 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

From what I have read recently... no Zach Lee involved in the trade. Nice for the Dodgers.

#11 crapforks

crapforks

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

This has been a really fun rumor to follow along all day. Totally unexpected and a total game-changer. I wonder if there is concern of the commissioner's office having some problems with the amount of money and PTBNL being tossed about.

#12 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

I hate trades like this. It rewards both teams for being stupid. LA gets a killer team and Boston gets out of signing stupid contracts.

#13 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

6:15pm: The Red Sox and Dodgers are currently reviewing medical records, according to Alex Speier of WEEI.com (via Twitter). The deal would include Rubby De La Rosa, James Loney, Jerry Sands, Ivan De Jesus, and a top prospect, according to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com (Twitter link).

Holy hell, that is a load of ****.

#14 crapforks

crapforks

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

I hate trades like this. It rewards both teams for being stupid. LA gets a killer team and Boston gets out of signing stupid contracts.

I guess I feel that neither team is being rewarded, almost the opposite. We don't know the money changing hands yet and neither team looks to come out of this unscathed. Boston is going into full-on rebuild mode* and LA is taking themselves out of the running for the top-flight free agents for at least the next two years, unless the luxury tax isn't an issue for them. It is fun for me to watch this all develop, but I can sit back and be glad my team isn't one of the teams involved.

*I understand the necessity of rebuilding, I was just trying to put myself into the shoes of an average Boston fan; someone who expects playoffs and deep playoff runs every year. If this year's FA class suits Boston's needs well and they decide to go ahead and build a veteran team through FA signings and trades without a commitment to rebuild, then that is a different story altogether.

#15 crapforks

crapforks

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

6:15pm: The Red Sox and Dodgers are currently reviewing medical records, according to Alex Speier of WEEI.com (via Twitter). The deal would include Rubby De La Rosa, James Loney, Jerry Sands, Ivan De Jesus, and a top prospect, according to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com (Twitter link).

Holy hell, that is a load of ****.

add Allen Webster to that list
http://www.baseball-...id=webste001car

#16 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

If so, that is on less team for Morneau to be traded to in the offseason...

He would look pretty good in Boston Red :) One door closes, another opens.

Interesting situation in Boston. They are really trying to clean up the clubhouse getting rid of troublemaker players: Beckett from last season (KFC and brewski), Stoppach (gone before) and A Gone from this (text messages) plus Crawford who never amounted to anything for them and Nicky. And Danny will have an MLB job again.

Edited by Thrylos, 24 August 2012 - 06:35 PM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

Padres fans are throwing themselves off the Coronado Bridge right now.

#18 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

Nah they are all surfing off La Jolla Shores; only military and tourists go over that Bridge :)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

Nah they are all surfing off La Jolla Shores; only military and tourists go over that Bridge :)

Oh, I'm well aware. Lived there for eight years and crossed that bridge maybe five times.

#20 nfisch22

nfisch22

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

will be interesting to see if Boston is a potential suitor for Morneau. They are really gonna need that middle of the lineup bat if this trade goes through

#21 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

I have great respect for a team that is willing to admit it isn't good, and deal veterans for young players. I would anticipate Boston will actively shop in the FA market also.
Lighten up Francis....

#22 Teflon

Teflon

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

I would make a waiver claim just to be a pest.

#23 Fatt Crapps

Fatt Crapps

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:40 AM

Oh, I'm well aware. Lived there for eight years and crossed that bridge maybe five times.

Wish you *******s had told me that last winter. I tried to do Coronado on a Saturday and it was a joke..we didn't even get out of the car.

Sadly I still haven't learned my lesson on dealing with tourist traps. I was just in Seattle for the first time and had to check out Pike Place Market...I stepped inside and literally didn't move for a good 2 minutes. I somehow managed to get to the nearest exit and never looked back.

#24 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:17 AM

I don't understand how the Waiver Trade process works. In a large deal like this with a boat load of players changing hands. Don't they all have to go through waivers. I can understand how A Gon, Beckett and Crawford can make it through to LA because of salary but... How do the Young Talented Cheap Dodgers get through without a claim.

Been following baseball for a long time and I don't understand trading in August.

#25 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:38 AM

Forget it, Twins arn't making any trades.

#26 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

I'm guessing that most teams didn't bother making a claim since the Dodgers probably put their whole 40 man roster on waivers to disguise the guys they wanted to make thru. Additionally only two of the prospects are actually interesting. Dejesus and Sands are backups, Rubby just had TJ and Webster isn't on the 40 man (didn't need to pass thru waivers). If any of the 3 prospects had been claimed then the Dodgers would have just pulled them back and sent that prospect as a PTBNL in the offseason.

#27 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

They said Rubby was claimed by Toronto, so that he will have to be included as a PTBNL

at the end of the day it isn't even about the prospects, they all suck. It's a cash dump plain and simple.

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

I don't understand how the Waiver Trade process works. In a large deal like this with a boat load of players changing hands. Don't they all have to go through waivers. I can understand how A Gon, Beckett and Crawford can make it through to LA because of salary but... How do the Young Talented Cheap Dodgers get through without a claim.

Been following baseball for a long time and I don't understand trading in August.

There seems to be an unwritten law that GMs don't claim players they honestly have no interest in pursuing unless it blocks a division rival. Otherwise Houston could just claim everybody decent for the hell of it.

#29 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

I'm guessing that most teams didn't bother making a claim since the Dodgers probably put their whole 40 man roster on waivers to disguise the guys they wanted to make thru. Additionally only two of the prospects are actually interesting. Dejesus and Sands are backups, Rubby just had TJ and Webster isn't on the 40 man (didn't need to pass thru waivers). If any of the 3 prospects had been claimed then the Dodgers would have just pulled them back and sent that prospect as a PTBNL in the offseason.

I've read that teams can pull players back. I just don't understand the process. I can't seem to put two and two together on it.

It's easy to understand the salary dump part of the trade. I can even see what the Dodgers are doing. It's the whole clearing waivers part that has me confused. I don't understand how DeJesus, Sands and Rubby got through waivers.

OK... Rubby didn't... The Jays put a claim in... So they pull him back and he becomes a player to be named later. I get that...

My question is how can any young player on a 40 man roster get through.

If I was the Twins... Why wouldn't you put a claim on DeJesus or at least someone like him. If players are being exposed to the degree that they are. We need Middle Infield help.

Why Wouldn't the Orioles for example put a claim on Sands. He'd be a decent prospect to have stashed away in AAA or off the bench. It wasn't long ago that they had Lew Ford in the OF.

I don't think these players are entirely dead weight. They are posting some decent numbers and there are clubs with glaring holes that they would slide nicely into.

To simplify my question!!! How or Why do the young cheaper players get through the waiver process at all?

Seems to me the Twins could have put a claim in for DeJesus and at least seen if the Dodgers would have taken prospect OF'er #5 , 6, 7 or 8 for him. We could use some MI choices to shore things up. DeJesus Jr. seems to have fairly decent numbers. Worth a look?