Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

New Vikings Stadium

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

I saw a thread in another section of the forum talking about best and worst stadium names, and it made me think about what the new Vikings stadium will be called. Personally I would like a local company to buy the rights, but besides Target would else would step up? While I like Target Center and Target Field, we really dont need another Target stadium. My first thought was Best Buy but not with all their issues. 3M maybe?

On another topic would else wants to see a retractable roof? I would love for us to get a MLS team.
I bent my wookie...

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,420 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

Caribou Field with the Hormel Half-Time Show every game, training facilities sponsored by Medtronic, food court by SuperValu.

Offensive line sponsored by 3M Post-Its. Quarterback sponsored by... Well, nobody probably wants to sponsor a Vikings QB.

#3 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

Frosted Flakes Field

#4 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

Jucy Lucy Stadium.

#5 Musk21

Musk21

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

US Bank? Mall of America again? General Mills?
If Twins can't re-sign Hunter, plans are to trade, sign a FA or go in-house to find a replacement.

#6 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

*Battle Your Tail Off Field

*only if I win the powerball tonight

#7 fatbeer

fatbeer

Banned

• Banned
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

No High school or small colleges allowed stadium?

#8 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,905 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

Spamalot

#9 BrentMpls

BrentMpls

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

There was a strib article about the 3 most likely candidates, Target was one of them.

Retractable roof would be great - hopefully they open it once in a while, football should be played outside.

#10 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

It's All Chilly's Fault Field

#11 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

I would love for the field to be completely outdoors. The Met was the best homefield advantage a team could ever have, even if it was mostly psychological (much like the Mile High oxygen thing for 90% of athletes).
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#12 BrentMpls

BrentMpls

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

I would love for the field to be completely outdoors. The Met was the best homefield advantage a team could ever have, even if it was mostly psychological (much like the Mile High oxygen thing for 90% of athletes).

I'd prefer that too, but it aint gonna happen :(

Retractable is the best hope for any chance of having some games outdoors

#13 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

Given the current concern in the NFL about safety and concussions, how about the UnitedHealth Group Field?

As a part of the sponsorship agreement the Vikings can negotiate free CAT scans for their players:)

#14 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

I saw a thread in another section of the forum talking about best and worst stadium names, and it made me think about what the new Vikings stadium will be called. Personally I would like a local company to buy the rights, but besides Target would else would step up? While I like Target Center and Target Field, we really dont need another Target stadium. My first thought was Best Buy but not with all their issues. 3M maybe?

On another topic would else wants to see a retractable roof? I would love for us to get a MLS team.

I would love to see a retractable roof, but I think getting an MLS team is out of the picture even with it. Other than a couple of local self-serving articles (based in part on Zygi's statements), there's been no indication that Minnesota is even on the radar screen for MLS expansion.

#15 anthonyq77

anthonyq77

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:20 AM

[quote name='sbknudson'][quote name='Gernzy']I saw a thread in another section of the forum talking about best and worst stadium names, and it made me think about what the new Vikings stadium will be called. Personally I would like a local company to buy the rights, but besides Target would else would step up? While I like Target Center and Target Field, we really dont need another Target stadium. My first thought was Best Buy but not with all their issues. 3M maybe?

On another topic would else wants to see a retractable roof? I would love for us to get a MLS team.[/QUOTE]

I would love to see a retractable roof, but I think getting an MLS team is out of the picture even with it. Other than a couple of local self-serving articles (based in part on Zygi's statements), there's been no indication that Minnesota is even on the radar screen for MLS expansion.[/QUOTE]

We just wouldn't support an MLS team. The Thunder never drew much and the Stars don't either. Both teams won league titles and at times played very nice soccer. I'd love to see it but i'd be sad when they folded or moved in 2 years.

#16 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,902 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

Boondoggle Stadium
Papers...business papers.

#17 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,902 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Anyone else getting worried about this. I have three main concerns:

1. The public financing component is a joke. The electronic pulltabs are falling fall short of projections. There is no clear backup plan.
2. There is new rumbling that the Vikings are not so keen on having a baseball configuration option for the stadium. That would put a big damper on the usefulness of the new stadium compared to the Dome.
3. This is most controversial, but I still believe that football is at its peak right now. I don't think it will suddenly collapse but I feel it will start a slow decline as more information about head injuries and long term damage comes out, and people start paying less attention and parents will be less inclined to let their children play. There will always be interest in football but I question whether it remain as high to justify the enormous scale of the stadium and public cost that comes with it.

#18 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

Anyone else getting worried about this. I have three main concerns:

1. The public financing component is a joke. The electronic pulltabs are falling fall short of projections. There is no clear backup plan.
2. There is new rumbling that the Vikings are not so keen on having a baseball configuration option for the stadium. That would put a big damper on the usefulness of the new stadium compared to the Dome.
3. This is most controversial, but I still believe that football is at its peak right now. I don't think it will suddenly collapse but I feel it will start a slow decline as more information about head injuries and long term damage comes out, and people start paying less attention and parents will be less inclined to let their children play. There will always be interest in football but I question whether it remain as high to justify the enormous scale of the stadium and public cost that comes with it.

1. The pulltabs aren't fully implemented and they did put several back-up sources in the bill. Worst-case they will go back and tweak/add to those, which were all sports/stadium related.

2. The Vikings need to get off of this. They knew the baseball was an important part of the public use of the stadium and if it means the seats are a few feet further back, too bad.

3. This is kind of an elephant in the room. But it's still the most popular league by far. Are we really willing to say 'let the NFL move to LA' because of what 'might' happen down the road? I think any 'major' fallout is still at least a decade away and the NFL will do everything they can to stay in front of it.

#19 jtrinaldi

jtrinaldi

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

What I don't get is why the Vikings did not try and figure out a way to work out something with the U of M
Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
http://www.facebook....256164664420932

#20 Kobs

Kobs

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

What I don't get is why the Vikings did not try and figure out a way to work out something with the U of M

What's not to get?

#21 Kobs

Kobs

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

2. The Vikings need to get off of this. They knew the baseball was an important part of the public use of the stadium and if it means the seats are a few feet further back, too bad.

It is? I don't remember anyone talking much about baseball in there.

#22 luke829

luke829

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Mosquito Field, especially if there's any open water near by.
Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

#23 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,902 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

It is? I don't remember anyone talking much about baseball in there.

Whether it was part of discussions reported, baseball should be a critical part of the new stadium. Gopher coach John Anderson said that something like 350 baseball games will be played in the Metrodome this year. That has to be replaced somehow.