Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Who Steps Up?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Bryz-Gornia

Andrew Bryz-Gornia

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

With Zumaya's injury, who do you think has a better chance of filling his role on the team? I'm looking at Jared Burton and Jason Bulger, but it's possible that this also opens the door for Jeff Gray, Esmerling Vasquez, Lester Oliveros, etc. Thoughts?

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

Zumaya was a question all along, so I don't think that this is a huge step back. All of the same names that are fighting for 1-2 spots in the bullpen are now fighting for 2-3 spots. Kyle Waldrop, Lester Oliveros, Jeff Gray and Terry Doyle have the advantage of being on the 40 man roster, but Burton certainly will be given every opportunity. People shouldn't forget about guys like Sam Deduno and Luis Perdomo who are hard-throwers too and have big league time.

#3 sonofkenny

sonofkenny

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

Well I am willing to wait to see what this is before assuming he is out...could be anything from scar tissue discomfort to ligament damage.

#4 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 741 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

I think Oliveros is an intriguing candidate but I could see him starting the year and Rochester before getting a call-up

#5 Topperanton

Topperanton

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

I hope Burnett steps up and becomes the guy we always hoped/thought he could be. But I think his roster spot was assumed for me, so in terms of replacing Zumaya's spot on the roster, my money is on Bulger

#6 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

I'm hoping the bad injury luck with Zumaya is counterbalanced by good injury luck with Jared Burton, who has been a very effective reliever in the past when healthy. Was glad to see the Twins take a flier on him.

#7 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

Is Zumaya on the 40 man roster? If he is, that impacts a roster spot quickly,whether he retires, or goes on the 60 day DL.

#8 Andrew Bryz-Gornia

Andrew Bryz-Gornia

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

Well I think he's a lock for the 60-day DL if he doesn't retire, so that would open up his 40-man spot.

#9 a-wan

a-wan

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:17 AM

Here's to the long standing man-crush on Manship finally giving some reciprocation.