Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

First Reliever Into the Rotation?

bullpen pitching rotation
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kirsten Brown

Kirsten Brown

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

As an addition to the discussion about pitchers in the Gleeman & the Geek's recent podcast, I wonder ... who's the first pitcher out of the bullpen and into the rotation *when* one of the starters gets hurt or struggles? I imagine Gardy will pick Duensing because he was a starter last year. But is he the best choice? Who should it be?

#2 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

I'm going to say Anthony Swarzak will be the first reliever used as a starter in the 2012 season.

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

I think Swarzak gets the first spot start. If a pitcher goes down for a month or so (or is just really ineffective) I imagine Hendriks gets called up.

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

If he is with the team, Terry Doyle. He pitched more than 200 innings last season. Duensing is too bad against RH and too valuable as a LOOGY
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#5 woolhouse

woolhouse

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

Swarzak is in, unless Doyle makes the team (which, as the Rule 5 Draft, he kind of sort of has to.)

#6 Terry Tiffee

Terry Tiffee

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

I hope it's not Duensing, not because I don't like him, but because I feel like he can be a solid contributor if you give him a role he can stick with, and he was a valuable arm out of the pen a couple years ago. Swarzak would be the obvious guess.

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

I think it's Doyle (as others have said, if he's still here). If it's after June, then I'd say they'd go to Hendriks.

#8 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

Duensing belongs in the pen, he thrived there before so I say Swarzak and Doyle although I'll admit I don't know much about his career.

#9 Captain Kirkus

Captain Kirkus

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

I wish Swarzak would get a fair shot. Solely based on last years performance he was essentially a Carl Pavano with 1/2 the innings, fewer hits and more strikeouts per 9 innings. Plus a better SO/BB ratio as well. Anthony is cheaper and younger than many other options for the rotation, give him a shot at a full season.

#10 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

I'd kind of hope they call up Hendricks personally, but if it is a reliever to the rotation, I'd say Swarzak...

#11 dave_dw

dave_dw

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

I'm sure they trade a prospect who's better than Zach Putnam for Kevin Slowey.

#12 TwinsGuy55422

TwinsGuy55422

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

I agree that it would be between Swarzak and Doyle. I think the nod would go to Swarzak based on experience, but if Doyle is really showing us something then I would give him a chance.
TwinsGuy55422
"And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

#13 Topperanton

Topperanton

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

I think the scarier question is who this reliever is stepping in for -- maybe Swarzak or Doyle could fill in for Blackburn or Marquis if one of them falters or gets injured but if Baker/Liriano/Pavano goes down our rotation looks even scarier than it does now

#14 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

I actually think Duensing would be the first guy called upon, especially if he's pitching well in the bullpen. He's got a history of transitioning from reliever to starter very well, and the Twins really seem to like him. It would also be pretty easy to fill his role, as the Twins could simply call up Phil Dumatrait to take over LOOGY duties. Not saying this is necessarily the route I'd go, but you can't overlook the fact that Duensing has excelled when called upon in such situations previously.