Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Benson back to New Britain

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

Surprised and excited to see that Joe Benson is back at New Britain and has started out 2-3 with a double. Benson has always been one of my favorites and it appears he has recovered from his injury. He's hitting well, so he might be back at Rochester soon. Benson has played in the GCL, for the Miracle in the Florida State League, for the Rock Cats in New Britain and for Rochester. If he returns to form, perhaps he can play at five levels this year.

#2 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

I'd say its a pretty good chance he ends the year with the Twins. The only question is when he'll be up and how much he'll be playing.

#3 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,898 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

Barring injury, I would be pretty surprised if he doesn't get another shot in September. It will be a guarantee if Span is traded.

#4 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,397 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

I'd say its a pretty good chance he ends the year with the Twins. The only question is when he'll be up and how much he'll be playing.

Really? I think after his struggles, he's moved behind Hicks, who *should* make the 40 man if/when some guys are traded.

#5 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Sorry, RPG, I misread. If Benson outperforms Hicks (with whom the Twins are clearly being deliberate) why add Hicks to the 40 man roster until after the season?

#6 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

Good news. It won't be great news until he is succeeding at AAA and the MLB level, which I expect no later than next year.
Lighten up Francis....

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,397 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Sorry, RPG, I misread. If Benson outperforms Hicks (with whom the Twins are clearly being deliberate) why add Hicks to the 40 man roster until after the season?

I suppose the team could wait until the offseason to add Hicks but considering how there should be open spots after some guys are traded, it's possible they might do it earlier.

#8 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

Accompanying transactions: Evan Bigley promoted to Rochester, Michael Holliman put on the DL.

#9 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

Hicks has had over a month of success now, but Benson has destroyed AA already with sustained success. Plus the 40 man thing and service time blah. I just think Benson still gets first crack at it.

#10 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

hicks, arcia & benson will all be up in sept

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

I'm sure right now the Rochester fans are ripping the organization (as usual) for letting New Britain have the more exciting outfield. Hicks turnaround nearly coincided with Arcia's callup, hopefully Benson joins the motivation party.

#12 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

tosoni will probably get a wk in ft myers & then back to new brit....my prediction is chris herrmann goes to roc then with an of gettin cut

#13 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

kind of surprised they didn't ride the hot streak and put him back in Rochester... I'm guessing that injury was a bigger deal that what everyone was letting on.

#14 chopper0080

chopper0080

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

I am excited to see what Bigley does in AAA. The Twins may find themselves turning over their outfield sooner rather than later with Bigley at AAA, and Benson, Hicks and Arcia at AA. I would love to see all four battling for a spot next spring and at AAA for those who dont' make it.

#15 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

I still can't shake the feeling that Benson is the Twins best minor league OFer. Glad to see he's playing, and playing well, again.

#16 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

I am excited to see what Bigley does in AAA. The Twins may find themselves turning over their outfield sooner rather than later with Bigley at AAA, and Benson, Hicks and Arcia at AA. I would love to see all four battling for a spot next spring and at AAA for those who dont' make it.

I wouldn't get too excited about Evan Bigley, the guy has basically been a non prospect who only now has shown decent HR power at AA his third time in the league at age 25. Even with the HR "surge" his OPS is far to low at AA this year (.755) for a corner OF to get real excited about him being anything more than organizational filler down the road.

I mean I hope he continues to impress, I'm just not holding my breath.

However Benson, Hicks and Arcia should all be knocking on the door at some point in 2013, some even earlier hopefully.

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,397 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:22 AM

Hicks has had over a month of success now

To be fair, he's had 2 1/2 months of success. He had a bad May and that's the only real blemish on his season. His April and June were good and so far, his July has been outstanding.

#18 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,898 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

I wouldn't get too excited about Evan Bigley, the guy has basically been a non prospect who only now has shown decent HR power at AA his third time in the league at age 25. Even with the HR "surge" his OPS is far to low at AA this year (.755) for a corner OF to get real excited about him being anything more than organizational filler down the road.

I mean I hope he continues to impress, I'm just not holding my breath.

However Benson, Hicks and Arcia should all be knocking on the door at some point in 2013, some even earlier hopefully.

Probably true, but people in the organization (ie Molitor) have been talking up Bigley for at least a couple of years. He won't be a star, probably not even a regular, but might be able to carve out a role for himself on the big league club.

#19 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,898 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

I still can't shake the feeling that Benson is the Twins best minor league OFer. Glad to see he's playing, and playing well, again.

Certainly has the talent to be the best OF in the system and was BA's #2 prospect in the system (after Sano) coming into the season. Nothing out of Benson/Hicks/Arcia good or bad would really surprise me.

#20 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

I'd put Tosoni at AAA when ready, and use him to replace Span when traded (moving Revere to CF, and Tosoni to RF). That way they don't rush Hicks and Arcia (I cannot I believe I just typed that, but they are not 25 in AA like some others....or college pitchers in rookie ball.....). I think they want Benson to get his confidence super high, before moving him again. Maybe they just want to move Hicks, Arcia, and Benson together. Who can understand the mind of the Twins' brass?
Lighten up Francis....