Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Carlos Lee

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

The Astros just traded Carlos Lee (and are paying most of the remaining $9m on his contract) to the Marlins for 3B Matt Dominguez and LP Rob Rasmussen. Dominguez (4th) and Rasmussen (7th according to BA) were both decently-rated prospects. As I read that the Marlins may have interest in Liriano, I tried to come up with a deal I thought the Twins would do: LSP Brad Hand (from Chaska) and LRP Adam Conley, in my opinion was a good basis. (Both former Twins draftees.) Hand struggled in the majors last year (straight from AA) and is ho-hum in AAA this year. Conley was a 2nd round pick last year (and probably signed in August, so would have to a PTBNL). Hand was BA's 8th prospect (coming into 2011) and Conley was 10th (coming into 2012). Now I'm beginning to think the Twins could get a little more than this for Frankie...

#2 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

I would want either Jose Fernandez or Chad James.

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

Yeah, I thought the Astro's did a bit better than I would've guessed for Lee. Hopefully, the Twins can take advantage of a seller's market if/when we make trades.

#4 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

I would want either Jose Fernandez or Chad James.

Fernandez has become one of the top, young pitching prospects in baseball. James would be a possibility.

#5 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

more so than Liriano, this proves there is a market for Morneau if a GM does his due dilligence I would take that MIA trade in a heartbeat also

#6 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

more so than Liriano, this proves there is a market for Morneau if a GM does his due dilligence
I would take that MIA trade in a heartbeat also

no, it doesn't. the Astros paid almost all of Lee's salary and took back mediocre prospects.

#7 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

[quote name='Jeremy Nygaard']The Astros just traded Carlos Lee (and are paying most of the remaining $9m on his contract) to the Marlins for 3B Matt Dominguez and LP Rob Rasmussen.

Dominguez (4th) and Rasmussen (7th according to BA) were both decently-rated prospects.

The Marlins have one of the worst minor leagues in the majors. I think it is like calling the Twins 4th starter a major league pitcher. Technically yes, but. Domingues has done nothing in his call up, only average in the minors. Rodriguez is 22, not pitching great in high A in a pitcher's league.

#8 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:29 AM

no, it doesn't. the Astros paid almost all of Lee's salary and took back mediocre prospects.

Right, and Lee doesn't have the concussion problems that Morneau has. The Twins, given that they would have to pay much of his salary, should hold out for much more value, as Morneau is younger and was a better player.

#9 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:01 AM

The Marlins have one of the worst minor leagues in the majors. I think it is like calling the Twins 4th starter a major league pitcher. Technically yes, but. Domingues has done nothing in his call up, only average in the minors. Rodriguez is 22, not pitching great in high A in a pitcher's league.

While true, I didn't see an organization giving up two of their top ten prospects for a half-season of Carlos Lee.

Dominguez is one of the best defensive third basemen in the minors, so even though the hit-tool isn't developing, there is value in his glove.

#10 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:05 AM

Apparently my last post went through...

#11 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

While true, I didn't see an organization giving up two of their top ten prospects for a half-season of Carlos Lee.

Dominguez is one of the best defensive third basemen in the minors, so even though the hit-tool isn't developing, there is value in his glove.

yeah, great he MIGHT become the next Pedro Feliz. I guess I just don't get excited about a prospect when you hope that he can post a .300 OBP and a .700 OPS. Defense only takes you so far.

Imo this shows you just how low Morneau's trade value is. The Twins would need to pay 15-20M (of the 21M remaining) to get mediocre prospects back. At that point you just keep Morneau.

#12 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

Imo this shows you just how low Morneau's trade value is. The Twins would need to pay 15-20M (of the 21M remaining) to get mediocre prospects back. At that point you just keep Morneau.

This thread wasn't started to compare Lee to Morneau. (The Morneau discussion is moot if he can't hit). It was started to compare Lee's expiring contract to Liriano's and what you can get for Frankie.

Maybe it proves you can get more fo Frankie. Or maybe it doesn't...