Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Trade Target Team Profile: Philadelphia Phillies

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 307 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...elphia-Phillies

#2 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

Another great analysis. I wish that you would look at the Dodgers -- they often seem to have a surplus of pitching prospects and a shortage of good hitters,

#3 jjswol

jjswol

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

I don't think the Twins will want any part of Dominic Brown. The man can't hit a breaking ball and Brown's defense makes Willie Norwood look like Willie Mays.

#4 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:18 AM

I doubt even the "phree-spending Phils" (nice) are willing to spend $34M on first basemen next year.

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,446 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:15 AM

I wonder what Liriano would do if he had to pitch in front of Philly fans once every five days. He could be a good fit but it's hard to say whether he has the mental make-up to pitch in that city.

#6 The Birdie King

The Birdie King

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

No...stop...do not even consider any of these three individuals from the Phillies. I am a transplanted Minnesotan in Philadelphia and I have seen all three of these guys and none of them are worth trading for...made the same comments a couple of years ago when knuckleheads in MN thought donovan McNabb was the answer for the Vikings...you saw how that turned out....so stop looking at the Phillies for trade possibilities....they do look like last years Twins right now, but they will eventually get through it...tell the Twins to stay away!!!

#7 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:01 AM

We are on to something with The Birdie King. This sites needs fans in each of the deep-pocket organization locations so they can scout these situations. Who do we know in NY, Atl, Arlington, etc?

#8 fetch

fetch

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

If they could get Dom Brown for Morneau (which I kind of doubt) I'd do that in a heartbeat.

#9 savvyspy

savvyspy

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

I wonder what Liriano would do if he had to pitch in front of Philly fans once every five days. He could be a good fit but it's hard to say whether he has the mental make-up to pitch in that city.

Liriano doesn't have the mental makeup to pitch in Beloit, WI. He's got Cy Young stuff and a Single A Ball head.

#10 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

Liriano doesn't have the mental makeup to pitch in Beloit, WI. He's got Cy Young stuff and a Single A Ball head.

I know it's fashionable to rip the guy's mental makeup, but given that he just turned in his best start of the season in what qualified as a pretty big game for this team, maybe we can ease up for the time being?

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,446 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

I know it's fashionable to rip the guy's mental makeup, but given that he just turned in his best start of the season in what qualified as a pretty big game for this team, maybe we can ease up for the time being?

I think Liriano's mental toughness is overplayed. When he's on, he's on no matter the setting. The problem is that he turns off seemingly at random.

I only brought it up because it's hard for anyone to pitch in a city like Philadelphia. The same way I question Greinke going to a big market, I question Liriano doing the same. It's not really a slight on the player, just an acknowledgement of who and what they are. They can both surely pitch on a big stage, I only wonder if they could do it day in and day out and be able to shrug off the worst fans in baseball on a nightly basis.

#12 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 307 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

There are a few more top prospects in teh Phils organization that are pitchers besides May: - Jesse Biddle is a 21yo LHP at High a with 78K in 71 IP. - Jonathan Pettibone is a 21yo LH at AA who looks like a pitch to contact type. - Phillipe Aumont is a 23yo RHed reliever who just came back from a rhomboid strain (which I assume is type of polygon) who has struck out 37 guys in 22 innings so far this year.

#13 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

If the Twins want to target a single person in the Philly organization, it should be Tyler Cloyd. Will fit really nicely in the top of the Twins rotation in 2013. He has been pitching around here the last few seasons (Reading last year, Lehigh Valley this year) and I've see him pitch in person. He is the real thing and he had been flying somewhat under the radar, so he would be easier to get. Here is a recent article on him.

Span would be a nice fit there, because of Victorino's status. As a matter of fact, the Phillies are trying to turn Brown into a CF, not too successfully mind you. I do like Brown and he could man the RF for the Twins for a few years, but he needs some work. On the other hand, both his potential and level of play right now is higher than that of Aaron Hicks, so if the Twins build a package around Span and Hicks, I think that Cloyd and Brown could be had (if you add another player or two.) But the interim needs to learn how to trade prospects and young players... Not sure that Ryan is up to par with that.

Edited by Thrylos, 26 June 2012 - 10:47 AM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#14 MNScottishTwinsFan

MNScottishTwinsFan

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

I do not understand these constant discussion about trading. With regard to this particular article what possible benefit is there for us in trading for players that aren't as good. I see shedding Morneau's salary, beyond that ?, makes no sense to me

#15 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

We are on to something with The Birdie King. This sites needs fans in each of the deep-pocket organization locations so they can scout these situations. Who do we know in NY, Atl, Arlington, etc?

While the Braves are nowhere near a "deep-pocket" organization, and haven't been for nearly a decade, I can certainly answer any questions you may have.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#16 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

If the Twins want to target a single person in the Philly organization, it should be Tyler Cloyd. Will fit really nicely in the top of the Twins rotation in 2013. He has been pitching around here the last few seasons (Reading last year, Lehigh Valley this year) and I've see him pitch in person. He is the real thing and he had been flying somewhat under the radar, so he would be easier to get. Here is a recent article on him.

Span would be a nice fit there, because of Victorino's status. As a matter of fact, the Phillies are trying to turn Brown into a CF, not too successfully mind you. I do like Brown and he could man the RF for the Twins for a few years, but he needs some work. On the other hand, both his potential and level of play right now is higher than that of Aaron Hicks, so if the Twins build a package around Span and Hicks, I think that Cloyd and Brown could be had (if you add another player or two.) But the interim needs to learn how to trade prospects and young players... Not sure that Ryan is up to par with that.

color me MEH... He wouldn't be a terrible prospect, but hardly the type of guy I'd swing a trade around as I'd want better K/9. If you are trading Morneau, I'd rather wait a year and see if he can build on this season and hope to get something signficantly better than what they already have in the org... not quite sure Cloyd fits that description.

#17 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:59 PM

Cloyd is a #4 type. Basically a Nick Blackburn type. Why would the Twins trade for what they have a ton of already?

#18 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

color me MEH... He wouldn't be a terrible prospect, but hardly the type of guy I'd swing a trade around as I'd want better K/9. If you are trading Morneau, I'd rather wait a year and see if he can build on this season and hope to get something signficantly better than what they already have in the org... not quite sure Cloyd fits that description.

Cloyd is a #4 type. Basically a Nick Blackburn type. Why would the Twins trade for what they have a ton of already?

Cloyd in AAA this season has a 2.17 ERA, 0.920 WHIP, 6 K/9 and 3.8 K/BB in 11 AAA starts. Tell me a single Twin who is part of that "ton". Hendriks' numbers get close but no cigar. Hermsen needs 1-2 more years. Gibson is a huge ? ...

Edited by Thrylos, 26 June 2012 - 07:44 PM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#19 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

A pitcher who can't put up a t least a 7.5 k/9 in the minors is HOPING to be a #4 guy. Low BABIP does not a great pitcher make. His FIP in AAA is 3.51, and he's 25, so he's beyond a real "prospect" status. He could be an okay #4-5 guy, but that's it.

Edited by biggentleben, 26 June 2012 - 08:25 PM.