Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Announcing Twins Daily

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...ing-Twins-Daily

#2 Fanatic Jack

Fanatic Jack

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:53 AM

John, Keep up the good work.

#3 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:04 AM

John, how long ago was it that I found you at the original Twinkie Town? This looks like it should be both fun and a very good Twins site.

#4 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

I've been wondering that Roger. I had to look it up. It was 2005. I had to shut that down in October of 2005 and that's when I took a 5 month hiatus.

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

Good stuff guys, wishing you tons of success!

#6 emoeby

emoeby

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

Love the site, congrats! Can we get full RSS feeds? And can you look into adding the post author name to the feed? I'd really like to see who wrote the post before opening it up and reading it. Thanks!

#7 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

emoeby, Look for little orange rectangles on each page - those are the rss feeds. I've been using them, and they seem to be good. I'm not sure I understand the 2nd question. Where are you not seeing the authors? I see them onthe articles, blog posts, threads, etc. Or are you talking about something else?

#8 brianS

brianS

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hey, good luck, guys!

#9 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

Look for little orange rectangles on each page - those are the rss feeds. I've been using them, and they seem to be good.

John, when he says "full RSS feeds," I think he's referring to having full posts show up in the feeds rather than just snippets. I've had several people ask me about this -- not sure where to change that setting.

#10 CarterHayes

CarterHayes

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

I've been wondering that Roger. I had to look it up. It was 2005. I had to shut that down in October of 2005 and that's when I took a 5 month hiatus.

Nice to see the Twins Territory concept revived in this latest incarnation. Best of luck, John.
WGOM.org - Twins fans who also happen to be witty bookish foodies with excellent (or at least unique) tastes in beer, music, and movies.

#11 Can of Corn

Can of Corn

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

Sweet new digs. Good luck gentlemen.

#12 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

John, when he says "full RSS feeds," I think he's referring to having full posts show up in the feeds rather than just snippets. I've had several people ask me about this -- not sure where to change that setting.

Ah, yes, I've got some email on this subject too. Here's the deal:

We tried, and we failed. WE consolidate the RSS feeds of other Twins blogs using Feed Informer, which can be temperamental. Feed informer gives you embedded code to include a customized feed on your web site. Unfortunately, when we tried to do this, it ALWAYS screwed up the site. I tried it a half a dozen different ways and within hours, it would make some other crucial component disappear.

So we used a "RSS widget" that comes with the vbulletin software, but we have no control on what it shows or doesn't. So if anyone has any better ideas, we're all ears. I have probably spent 6-8 hours futzing around with this.

#13 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

Congrats guys, I look forward to talking all things Twins in the spirit of the old Dickie Thon message board!

#14 emoeby

emoeby

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

Yep, exactly. You all had full feeds as individual writers, but with Twins Daily, the feeds are all condensed, and that kinda stinks. And as for Authors on posts, here is an example (screenshot from Google Reader)

Attached File  image.jpg   42.2KB   9 downloads

Notice how the feed at the top has the post authors name, Roman Augustoviz, but the Twins Daily has no display of who wrote the post. That's a very important feature for a site that has as many authors as Twins Daily has.

Twins Daily is going to be a great resource for excellent Twins content, but the design of the site, and the workings of the backend are amateur at best.

#15 ssmart

ssmart

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

Hey guys, nice site. How do you create an avatar on here?

#16 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

Ah, got it emoeby. I'll see if we can control that.

#17 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

Hey guys, nice site. How do you create an avatar on here?

If you click on Settings at the top of the page, it'll open a page where "Edit Avatar" is on the left.

#18 ssmart

ssmart

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

Never mind, I found it. Duh, how did I miss that Yesterday?

#19 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

Congrats to all that have put this site together! It's awesome! There's almost too much, to digest....almost;)

Edited by Jerr, 21 February 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#20 Loosey

Loosey

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

Great looking site guys. This seems like it is going to be a pretty fun place for Twins fans. I even took a shot at a blog post today. Excited to keep trying and hopefully get (much) better at it. . .

#21 davidjcampbell

davidjcampbell

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

Twins Daily is going to be a great resource for excellent Twins content, but the design of the site, and the workings of the backend are amateur at best.

I'd say amateur is taking it a bit far.

I'm not trying to speak for the Twinscentric guys, but...
I'd guess that the guys are open to the constructive comments you suggested such as displaying the author in an RSS feed. As the site is getting off the ground, let's be sure to mention these important items to them and give them the time to investigate and improve. If it is a setting or some other fix, they will probably be open to the changes.

As we all see things to improve the site, let's mention them so they can get fixed up.