Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Thursday's Minor League Round-up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...League-Round-up

#2 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,795 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

Tim Atherton appears to be an unusual case. His stats are lights out impressive (K/BB 24/7 in 14+ innings and only 5 hits allowed). He is a converted position player and an Aussie, who at 22 is too old for the MWL. Do you know enough to have an opinion on if he has a steep learning curve potential and enough stuff to make the show in 2-3 years?

#3 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,092 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

Thanks for pointing that out. For those that aren't aware, Atherton was an OF in the Twins system a handful of years ago. He was released and brought back later as a pitcher. The fact that the Twins brought him back after letting him go, and he's stuck around around as long as he has, speaks a lot about how the Twins view him. I don't know enough about him to know if he's a legitimate option, but I certainly wouldn't view him as a "prospect" right now. Butat 22, he's not crazy old for the MWL, though. I wouldn't think he's a priority to promote right now (to see what he can handle), but definitely a storyline worth watching.

#4 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

Great news for Beloit. I think that making it to the playoffs is helpful in developing a winning attitude on the part of the prospects. Too bad that the prospects in Ft. Meyers and Rochester are being acclimated to losing. I wonder whether there is anything that can/should be done about this.

#5 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:34 AM

Great news for Beloit. I think that making it to the playoffs is helpful in developing a winning attitude on the part of the prospects.

Too bad that the prospects in Ft. Meyers and Rochester are being acclimated to losing. I wonder whether there is anything that can/should be done about this.

Get better players?:) Sorry, couldn't resist.

Actually, Rochester is starting to show signs of life. They are only 6 games under 500, and while they are in last place, they are playing in the IL's version of the AL East. They'd be middle of the division in the South or West. And they're managing that with not much starting pitching (we took all their best guys).

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,236 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:51 AM

I was going to say the same thing, about getting better players. Aso, consider that this year's Ft. Myer's pitching staff of Garcia, Salcedo and Stuifbergen have all missed time with injury and Munoz is still moving cautiously. As for Atherton, he was a 3B. He was pretty much kicked off the GCL team all those years ago. He and another Australian player. i did get to see Atherton pitch in one of the games I was at in Beloit. He throws hard! He has a slider. 2-pitch pitcher says he's going to be a reliever. But two really good pitches, and as Jeremy pointed out, he's not all that old for the level, if at all. So, he doesn't ahve to be rushed.

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

As for Atherton, he was a 3B. He was pretty much kicked off the GCL team all those years ago. He and another Australian player. i did get to see Atherton pitch in one of the games I was at in Beloit. He throws hard! He has a slider. 2-pitch pitcher says he's going to be a reliever. But two really good pitches, and as Jeremy pointed out, he's not all that old for the level, if at all. So, he doesn't ahve to be rushed.

Elliot Biddle, Pitcher, if I remember correctly. Atherton went to the Pardes' organization for a moon too.

As far as "being old for the Midwest League" goes, he is 22. The Beloit age average for Ps is 22.3 and the league average 21.9, so he is where he should be age wise. You can see 22 year old in AA and AAA, but these are the top prospects, like Sano and Hendriks etc.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#8 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,092 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

Cole De Vries will start for the Red Wings today. He'll be pushed up one day, but still got his four days of rest. Liam Hendriks, tonight's scheduled starter, will start for the Twins tomorrow. There will be a corresponding roster move after tonight's game. I think it's very possible we see Chris Parmelee head back to Rochester. After taxing the bullpen on Wednesday night, there is a need for an extra arm.

#9 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,795 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

Cole De Vries will start for the Red Wings today. He'll be pushed up one day, but still got his four days of rest. Liam Hendriks, tonight's scheduled starter, will start for the Twins tomorrow. There will be a corresponding roster move after tonight's game. I think it's very possible we see Chris Parmelee head back to Rochester. After taxing the bullpen on Wednesday night, there is a need for an extra arm.

There is also a need for an extra bat, especially starting on Monday. Why not send Butera back down, keep the bat on the roster AND get the extra arm? With Mauer catching 3 days in a row, it appears he is reasonably healthy and the catching situation has returned to the way it was when the Twins broke camp. Which nightmare does Gardy wake up in a cold sweat from more often- not enough catchers or not enough pitchers? I know he never loses sleep about not having enough hitters.

#10 adjacent

adjacent

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

There is also a need for an extra bat, especially starting on Monday. Why not send Butera back down, keep the bat on the roster AND get the extra arm? With Mauer catching 3 days in a row, it appears he is reasonably healthy and the catching situation has returned to the way it was when the Twins broke camp. Which nightmare does Gardy wake up in a cold sweat from more often- not enough catchers or not enough pitchers? I know he never loses sleep about not having enough hitters.

The alternative is to send down Mastro. He is not used much anyway, and Parmelee can play outfield as well. Not that is anything wrong with sending Butera down. I am just stating alternatives

#11 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,092 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

I think all of those listed - Parmelee, Butera, Mastroianni - are possibilities, as well as others that weren't suggested. With the Twins heading to National League parks next week, many cases could be made. Without a DH, having three catchers is probably overkill. Hard to say one way or the other, but I would be surprised if it was a pitcher that was sent down, given they're gaining a bat anyway.