Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins send Pavano to the DL, Blackburn comes off.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

Blackie will start Wed...no Manship. According to several twitter sources.

#2 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

Per the Star Tribune's Joe Christensen, the Twins have announced that they will be sending Carl Pavano to the DL with a right anterior capsular strain in his throwing shoulder and Nick Blackburn will be activated from the DL.

Pavano's obvious velocity decline throughout the season and the effect his shoulder had on his repertoire was a fairly strong indication that the right-hander would eventually have a date with the DL. Meanwhile Blackburn's rehab assignment has not been great - he's made two starts, thrown six innings and has six hits, five of which have been doubles, as well as a 2-to-4 K-to-BB ratio.

#3 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

Good news and bad news.

#4 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

Wish Blackburn would've shown something in his rehab stint to indicate he's good to go. Hope he's a lot sharper this time around.

#5 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

I totally called this one. And from what I heard, he didn't do too badly in his last start before it was cut short by rain.

#6 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

I totally called this one. And from what I heard, he didn't do too badly in his last start before it was cut short by rain.

He did so-so - 2 hits and 1 walk in 2.1 innings, no K's, low strike/ball ratio. Let's hope he was still getting back into gameshape and this is not indicative of what's to come.

#7 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

Blackburn can't be worse, realistically, so this is an improvement. Not one I'm excited by, but still.
Lighten up Francis....

#8 stringer bell

stringer bell

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

Blackburn, whose injury may have hindered his effectiveness, replaces Pavano, whose injury definitely impacted his effectiveness. Hard to say how he'll do, but he really can't be any worse than Pavano right now.

#9 adjacent

adjacent

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

Too bad they can't give Blackburn a couple more starts in AAA right now. He didn't do too great in Rochester

#10 DJSim22

DJSim22

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

More moves that make no sense to me. Pavano should have been on the DL two starts ago. Backburn should stay in AAA for a couple more starts. In the meantime, Swarzak or Manship could have started a few games. In a lost season, neither decision they made makes any sense.

#11 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:02 PM

I would like to see Manship get a chance to start, but agree that Blackburn will likely be an improvement over Pavano.

#12 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

Coulda lived with manship getting a start or 2 but Swarzak is'nt a starter.

#13 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

Blackie's arm will be way too strong to get his sinker working when he starts on the big club.

#14 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

I'd be up for giving manship a shot and bringing back a 4th bench guy, but good god don't give Swarzak another start. He has been decent in the bullpen, but TERRIBLE in his two starts