Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Game 45 - Twins vs Tigers - 5/25/12

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,003 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Twins Lineup: Denard Span CF Ben Revere RF Joe Mauer C Josh Willingham DH Justin Morneau 1B Brian Dozier SS Trevor Plouffe LF Alexi Casilla 2B Jamey Carroll 3B SP Anthony Swarzak

#2 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

Please tell me that you have the positions for Revere and Plouffe flipped.

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

Nope. The manager is an idiot.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

It would be nice to have a data sheet available to read from Gardenhire's mind when he made that decision. Plouffe in LF and Revere in RF is disappointing to say the least.

#5 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

It would be nice to have a data sheet available to read from Gardenhire's mind when he made that decision. Plouffe in LF and Revere in RF is disappointing to say the least.

I mean, theoretically some ballparks it could perhaps make sense. But this is just stupid, flat-out. There is no excuse for something bizarre like this. How much has Plouffe even played in left this year, anyway? I mean . . . it's not even as though Plouffe hasn't played RF . . . this must have to do with what? Gardenhire's belief that RF is somehow bigger than LF at Target Field????

#6 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

Is Revere's smile brighter in RF?

#7 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

Has Gardy been drinking?

#8 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

Doumit must be hurt again?

#9 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

For the past week I have been talking about DHing Willingham a few games a week to get Revere into LF to maximize the OF defense . . . ugh.

#10 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

I mean, theoretically some ballparks it could perhaps make sense. But this is just stupid, flat-out. There is no excuse for something bizarre like this. How much has Plouffe even played in left this year, anyway? I mean . . . it's not even as though Plouffe hasn't played RF . . . this must have to do with what? Gardenhire's belief that RF is somehow bigger than LF at Target Field????

I have to admit that I am closed minded in regards to having a weak armed RFer. If Revere has a chance to stick as a starter he will have to play LF (maybe occasionally CF). I agree with you Shane Wahl that this is a a bizarre move. I am not sure if I would prefer Revere over Plouffe in RF in any situation or ballpark. I am not saying I couldn't be persuaded on that, but I'd need to here or read the argument.

#11 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

How about an error free game today... The last 2 games have been ugly.

#12 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

[quote name='Bark's Lounge;20021]I have to admit that I am closed minded in regards to having a weak armed RFer. If Revere has a chance to stick as a starter he will have to play LF (maybe occasionally CF). I agree with you Shane Wahl that this is a a bizarre move. I am not sure if I would prefer Revere over Plouffe in RF in any situation or ballpark. I am not saying I couldn't be persuaded on that' date=' but I'd need to here or read the argument.[/QUOTE']

I can't think of a ballpark at all, no. And that was just me considering the dimensions vs. speed of the outfielder, not even weighing that against arm strength. This is a fundamentally idiotic decision--there is no way around that. That says a lot about what goes on between Gardy's ears.

#13 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

I can't think of a ballpark at all, no. And that was just me considering the dimensions vs. speed of the outfielder, not even weighing that against arm strength. This is a fundamentally idiotic decision--there is no way around that. That says a lot about what goes on between Gardy's ears.

I'm on board... agreed!

#14 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

My theory is if he plays Revere in left today, he knows he'll be asked later on about the possibility of keeping him there and moving Willingham to right in the future. So he would rather diminish his team's chances of winning one game than have to answer questions about a topic he doesn't feel like discussing.

#15 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

I think I am going to start drinking immediately to not think about this anymore. It makes me crazy.

#16 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

I think I am going to start drinking immediately to not think about this anymore. It makes me crazy.

Cheers and bottoms up

#17 TwinVike61

TwinVike61

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

My theory is if he plays Revere in left today, he knows he'll be asked later on about the possibility of keeping him there and moving Willingham to right in the future. So he would rather diminish his team's chances of winning one game than have to answer questions about a topic he doesn't feel like discussing.

I was thinking along those lines, too.

#18 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

Doumit was held out of Thursday's lineup after feeling something in his strained right calf on Wednesday, so he's presumably getting another day to rest.

#19 bigd1123

bigd1123

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

There really wouldn't be any question about Revere replacing Willingham. Willingham is a professional hitter and Revere is not good at all. Willingham is this team's best all around left fielder, and it's not close. Not sure what the hell Gardy is thinking.

#20 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

Seems applicable here again...back in spring training, the word was that Revere didn't play LF as well as they had expected. Even Revere made the comment that certain things that he couldn't explain were going well for him in RF that weren't in LF. I don't recall what things they were referring to, and the few innings I was able to see of spring training certainly wasn't enough to know with my eye. Even had I seen more, it's likely the lifetime baseball people are seeing a lot more than I could. Not agreeing with something and taking the leap all the way to Gardy (or anyone else) deliberately sabotaging the team's chances to win is troubling to me.

#21 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

Before I start getting ripped for my comment, I should probably let it be known that I was being a smart ass (my fault for not making that clear in my previous post). Obviously Gardenhire wouldn't deliberately sabotage his team's chances in order to avoid questions from reporters. I've second-guessed many of his decisions before and more often than not he's proven why I'm watching games from my living room while he's watching them from the dugout. However, it is disappointing that a Major League Baseball player would have trouble making a transition from right field to left field, if that is in fact the case with Revere.

#22 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

Before I start getting ripped for my comment, I should probably let it be known that I was being a smart ass (my fault for not making that clear in my previous post). Obviously Gardenhire wouldn't deliberately sabotage his team's chances in order to avoid questions from reporters. I've second-guessed many of his decisions before and more often than not he's proven why I'm watching games from my living room while he's watching them from the dugout.

However, it is disappointing that a Major League Baseball player would have trouble making a transition from right field to left field, if that is in fact the case with Revere.

Yeah, I didn't catch the sarcasm font on that post. There's enough people who think things just like that in earnest that you can see where it might have gone "whoosh!" over a person's head!

#23 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

Yeah, I didn't catch the sarcasm font on that post. There's enough people who think things just like that in earnest that you can see where it might have gone "whoosh!" over a person's head!

Yeah, after going back and reading my post, I realized that it would be impossible to tell whether I was being serious or not. I don't always agree with Gardenhire, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that he has a much better feel for his team than I do.

#24 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

Detroit's lineup against Swarzak has five lefties if I counted right. Can it be Gardenhire's judgement that Revere's speed makes it worth having him in RF, with more fly balls going out there? (Is Swarzak hard for right-handers to pull the ball on?) Is Detroit's total speed on the basepaths slow enough that Revere's arm becomes less of a factor holding (e.g.) Cabrera and Fielder to second on someone else's single, especially with Austin Jackson out of the lineup? Stolen bases aren't the only measure of speed but Avila and Boesch are the leaders in this lineup with 2 SB apiece.

Edited by ashburyjohn, 25 May 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#25 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

So how about we start talking about the game and how the twins have 2 runs and 3 hits in the first inning... Lets hope swarzak can get his location settled he got a bit lucky in the first inning

#26 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

Dozier still proving he is the man

#27 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

Ugh swarzak... So why are we starting swarzak again? They showed the stat at the beginning of the game.. Rediculously high era as a starter, rediculously low era as a reliever.... Lets go ahead and start him, especially against a team he usually struggles against

#28 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

Twins better be ready to put up an 8 spot again tonight.

#29 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

Just stupid managing.

#30 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

So does Liriano get another chance to start??? Kinda running out of options!