Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

PJ Walters stuff

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you rate Walters' stuff (39 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate Walters' stuff

1. Potential ace (1 votes [2.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

2. Potential Brad Radke (5 votes [12.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.82%

3. Potential #3 starter (7 votes [17.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.95%

4. Potential #5 starter (22 votes [56.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.41%

5. Flash in the pan (4 votes [10.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:01 AM

It looked to me tonight that he has decent stuff. But some would argue that once MLB players figure him out, he will be very hittable. How would you rate his potential?

#2 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:10 AM

He is a legit candidate for the 5th spot.

#3 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:24 AM

Who cares? He is tbe best we got. Ride him into the ground!

#4 Todd G

Todd G

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:27 AM

I tend to think it won't last, but he certainly has performed well enough to garner a regular spot in the rotation. We won't really have a solid bead on how well he'll do until he's got several more starts under his belt, but he's started off well, and that's half the battle.

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

Can I split the diffrence? He seems more like a #4 to me. He could be better than the #5 guy who is often a swing man but being a # 3 would mean he's one of the best 42 pitchers in the AL and I don't quite see that. Edit: I voted for fifth starter, but maybe being a top 40 pitcher in the AL isn't that far fetched when you stop and think about the guys filling out some of those rotations. Considering the laughable staffs in the AL Central, a case could be made for Walters and Diamond to be top 10 pitchers in the division so far this year. How Derek Lowe has six wins and a 2.15 ERA when he has a 2.3 K/9 and 1.415 WHIP is a question for the ages.

Edited by nicksaviking, 23 May 2012 - 07:25 AM.

#6 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

I'm going to abstain until I see him face a team for the second time. That will be the real test, same with Diamond

#7 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

The only question mark is whether Walters can continue to execute the way he is now. There is nothing to say a team is going to all of a sudden start hitting him all over the yard just because they have seen him before. I don't see anything that indicates Walters tips his pitches so as long as he maintains his command, keeps mixing his pitches and effectively changing speeds, why can't he continue to have success? Isn't that what all good pitchers do?

#8 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

The only question mark is whether Walters can continue to execute the way he is now. There is nothing to say a team is going to all of a sudden start hitting him all over the yard just because they have seen him before. I don't see anything that indicates Walters tips his pitches so as long as he maintains his command, keeps mixing his pitches and effectively changing speeds, why can't he continue to have success? Isn't that what all good pitchers do?

It has nothing to do with tipping pitches and more to do with teams actually getting tape on a guy as well as seeing his pitches again in person. I like what Walters has done, but his overall lack of minor league success and lack of "stuff" has me a little wary of calling him a legit starting pitcher. The good news for him is he will hold down the spot for sometime, so we should have a better understanding of his potential over the course of his next 15 starts or so.

#9 Paul

Paul

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

I saw the last half of the game. This was the first time I've seen him. From what I saw, a nice running FB with a change that looks like his FB and a nice little slider/curve thing, his stuff is as good as Greg Maddux stuff. His command, in what I saw, made the game for him. I'm guessing the level of command he demonstrated is not the norm for him. Maybe it was just his night. Or maybe that's the new norm for him. If it is the new norm for him I think he can expect a career like Maddux.

#10 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

If it is the new norm for him I think he can expect a career like Maddux.

.........................sigh

#11 Paul

Paul

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

.........................sigh

Went right over your head, didn't it dude?

#12 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

Towards the end of the game he was leaving a lot of pitches up and missing his spots frequently. He may have been just gassed, but the White Sox did not have a very good approach last night. It looked to me like he was very lucky.

#13 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

Went right over your head, didn't it dude?

Well if it was sarcasm it wasn't funny in the least, but to each his own, dude.

#14 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

Well if it was sarcasm it wasn't funny in the least, but to each his own, dude.

I thought it was pretty funny.

#15 gmarais66

gmarais66

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

Man... I can't believe how many "Debbie Downers" there are out there... You guys can find a gray cloud in any blue sky... Quit finding fault or possible faults with the guy and just enjoy the ride...

#16 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

It has nothing to do with tipping pitches and more to do with teams actually getting tape on a guy as well as seeing his pitches again in person. I like what Walters has done, but his overall lack of minor league success and lack of "stuff" has me a little wary of calling him a legit starting pitcher. The good news for him is he will hold down the spot for sometime, so we should have a better understanding of his potential over the course of his next 15 starts or so.

If he keeps command of his pitches like he has then you can have as much tape as you want.

#17 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

Man... I can't believe how many "Debbie Downers" there are out there... You guys can find a gray cloud in any blue sky... Quit finding fault or possible faults with the guy and just enjoy the ride...

+1.....the game threads from last night cracked me up, it was 9-1 and Walters was cruising yet there were still things a few guys needed to wring their hands about. It's like guys are afraid to cheer for him lest they look like idiots if he falters, who cares, he's playing great, I for one love it.

#18 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

the difference between Walters & Blackburn is that Walters is able to strike out hitters at a decent clip thru his minor league career & brief major league (counting St L) career. This can get ya out of a jam easier obviously....and Im fine with him as long as he earns it. Nick has earned nothing for 3 straight years.

#19 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

I apologize for raining on your parade, but the thread and the poll within asked for my opinion.

From what I've seen from Walters, and based on his minor league track record, he looks like another Anthony Swarzak to me. A marginal starter or long reliever. I don't think the Twins should cut him, but I'm expecting the AL to catch up to him quickly.

#20 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

We have to remember that Diamond and Walters are true 4-5 starters, most likely. Thus, they have value, but just because they come in and are the Twins' new best pitchers doesn't mean they are 1-3 guys. That said, I like the confidence and demeanor both of them display on the mound. For what that's worth.

#21 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

I apologize for raining on your parade, but the thread and the poll within asked for my opinion.

From what I've seen from Walters, and based on his minor league track record, he looks like another Anthony Swarzak to me. A marginal starter or long reliever. I don't think the Twins should cut him, but I'm expecting the AL to catch up to him quickly.

+1
I would like nothing more then for Walters and Diamond to help anchor our rotation for the next 4-5 years, however unless Rick Anderson is a true miracle worker I would be thrilled if ONE of those guys ended up being a solid #4/#5 for the next couple years.