Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Game 39 - Twins @ Brewers - 5/19/12

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

Twins Lineup: Denard Span CF Ben Revere RF Josh Willingham LF Justin Morneau 1B Brian Dozier SS Alexi Casilla 2B Drew Butera C Jamey Carroll 3B Carl Pavano SP Brewers Lineup Corey Hart RF Nyger Morgan CF Ryan Braun LF Aramis Ramirez 3B Jonathan Lucroy C Rickie Weeks 2B Tyler Green 1B Edwin Maysonet SS Yovani Gallardo SP

#2 twinswon1991

twinswon1991

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

Iron man Mauer needs a day off after the only game all year he actually came close to earning his paycheck???? Does he have bi-lateral weakness from counting his money? If he is sooo good he should be playing 1B against a RH starter. My guess is Mauer asked Gardy to take him out of the lineup since the BrewCrew has a front line starter on the mound and he doesn't want to put his precious OBP on the line against any top pitcher.

#3 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

My guess is that Pavano insists on Butera. Brutal. Just. Brutal. They can deny it all they want, but actions speak louder than words.
Lighten up Francis....

#4 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

This looks more like a line-up Gardy uses on Sunday get away day. Don't like it very much, fast but no pop. Mauer will probably pinch it for Pavano and stay in the game around the 5th or 6th inning, though not sure if he play C, 1B, or RF.

#5 stringer bell

stringer bell

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

It's a (late) day game after a long night game. Given that Mauer had been struggling until last night's game, it made sense to sit him in one of the games in Milwaukee. Given Pavano's insistence that Son-of-Sal catch him, it doesn't surprise me that Mauer is not in the lineup.

#6 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

Iron man Mauer needs a day off after the only game all year he actually came close to earning his paycheck???? Does he have bi-lateral weakness from counting his money? If he is sooo good he should be playing 1B against a RH starter.

My guess is Mauer asked Gardy to take him out of the lineup since the BrewCrew has a front line starter on the mound and he doesn't want to put his precious OBP on the line against any top pitcher.

I am hoping that yesterday was the start of a turnaround for Joe and that Pavano will pitch a shutout today because he is more comfortable with Butera. Also, Butera seems to be hitting better this year, so maybe he can get a hit or two.

#7 Kneelb4zerg

Kneelb4zerg

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

Iron man Mauer needs a day off after the only game all year he actually came close to earning his paycheck???? Does he have bi-lateral weakness from counting his money? If he is sooo good he should be playing 1B against a RH starter.

My guess is Mauer asked Gardy to take him out of the lineup since the BrewCrew has a front line starter on the mound and he doesn't want to put his precious OBP on the line against any top pitcher.

Great, thoughtful post! Looking forward to your next op-Ed piece in the Times.

#8 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

My guess is that Pavano insists on Butera. Brutal. Just. Brutal. They can deny it all they want, but actions speak louder than words.

This was part of my disagreement about Mauer's presence behind the plate with Alex in another thread. Mauer is 5 for 9 lifetime against RHP Gallardo coming off a game where he showed confident agressiveness at the plate, getting three hits on pitches out of the strike zone. Every pitcher on the team should have complete confidence in having The Face of the Franchise calling the game for them as the backstop. Hopefully mnfireman is right and Mauer gets the chance to build on his slump-busting performance last night and enter the game in the 5th or 6th.

#9 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

It seems like the plan coming into this series was to give Mauer today off no matter what. Otherwise, Gardy could've taken him out before the 8th inning of last night's blowout win so he could be ready to go today. When I saw Mauer still behind the plate in the 9th, I knew that we'd be seeing Butera starting today. With that being said, I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to give Mauer a day off here, especially with Morneau back playing first.

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

Catchers need days of. Yes, I understand that he is able to play other positions, but he needs days off. It's like playing Morneau every single day after some wrist surgery until his wrist is so sore that he needs to go on the DL and miss two weeks. Catchers need days off or they'll get weeks off eventually.

#11 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

Great play by Span to help Pavano work around the leadoff double.

#12 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

Carroll's slugging percentage may not be anything to write home about, but his defense has been fantastic so far this season, regardless of where he's played.

#13 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

Carroll has been tremendous for the Twins. We'd all like a little more batting avreage, but every other facet of his game has been as expected. To be honest, his defense is far better than I ever would have guessed.

#14 Vegeta

Vegeta

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

Not gonna lie. I have been watching the chick in the front row behind home plate. The one sitting above the O in brewers.com. She was there last night too. I am surprised Diamond didn't give up more runs.

#15 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

Carroll has been tremendous for the Twins. We'd all like a little more batting avreage, but every other facet of his game has been as expected. To be honest, his defense is far better than I ever would have guessed.

I wasn't trying to knock Carroll there. I was just saying that he's been a great pickup for the Twins, even if he hasn't set the world on fire with his bat.

#16 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

So anything going on in the actual game? Can't see it on mlb.tv thanks to Fox.

#17 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

0-0 in the top of the 4th, Twins have runners on the corners with 1 out and Morneau coming up.

#18 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

Morneau walks, here comes Dozier with the bases loaded and 1 out.

#19 Vegeta

Vegeta

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

Hopefully the Twins can stretch this inning out a bit. Get Gallardo outta there and get into the pen.

#20 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

I am at work now and recording the game at home. Is Pavano pitching as well as it appears from the box score?

#21 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

Hopefully the Twins can stretch this inning out a bit. Get Gallardo outta there and get into the pen.

Good thinking -- their pen should be tired after last night.

#22 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

I am at work now and recording the game at home. Is Pavano pitching as well as it appears from the box score?

He's pitching better than he had the last few starts, but the defense has made some big plays behind him too.

#23 Vegeta

Vegeta

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

Seems like the Twins are infecting their opponents lately with the error bug. I like it :)

#24 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

He's pitching better than he had the last few starts, but the defense has made some big plays behind him too.

Actually, I may have sold Pavano a little short there. He is pitching very well, getting ahead of hitters and keeping the ball down (for the most part).

#25 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

Dozier gets the job done again with his second sac fly.

#26 Vegeta

Vegeta

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

Casilla owes 100 pushups for that at bat. No reason not to work the count. Ya Pavano has pitched well today. Working fast which is to his benefit.

#27 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

My guess is you don't like Joe Mauer much, make no bones about it and it kind of makes most of what you say meaningless.

#28 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

Casilla owes 100 pushups for that at bat. No reason not to work the count. Ya Pavano has pitched well today. Working fast which is to his benefit.

Willie Mays Hayes lives!

#29 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

Great at bat by Dozier. Questionable strike call did not phase him, fouls off some tough pitches at 0-2 and generates the sac fly. That is not the at bat of a rookie.

#30 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

Good game for Pavano. Nice low pitch count and doing well.