Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Twins to go to 12 pitchers when Morneau is ready?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

Did anybody else hear this? I was listening to the Twins pre-game on radio, and they were talking to a front office type (Ryan?) and he was asked when the Twins would go back to a more normal 12-pitcher roster. He said probably when Morneau was ready to come off the DL. Reprieve for Parmelee? Who then is on the block to get sent down - Blackburn? I saw they were thinking about using Swarzak & Duensing for spot starts - 5th rotation slot by committee?

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

Who then is on the block to get sent down

They will either option one of the 2 pitchers with options (Burnett, Diamond) - if Diamond, the 5th starter spot goes to Duensing who is being stretched as a starter - or they will cut someone like Gray
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#3 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

SHOULD be Gray.....IF Diamond pitches well, & gets sent back down.....can you see the revolt of fans!!! ESPN 1500 is reporting Pavano is dealing with shoulder issues, could they DL him?? Cant see another pitcher being moved other than Gray.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

I heard Terry Ryan say that too nad it stood out becuase I think I assumed it would be Parmelee. (and it still could be as part of two going up and two going down) My guess is that Burnett would be the one going down. Also from Ryan, he's pleased with the bullpen so far. He talked about Gray pitching well and said that there was only one bullpen guy that would probably be best served by being sent down. Burnett has the option and he has been struggling of late again.

#5 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

Whoever pitches badly. Gray would probably get claimed. Brunett has options at least. Liriano is taking up space. PJ deserves another shot. I would keep Gray as long as possible for now.

#6 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

The Twins need all the pitching they can get.

#7 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

I am complerely fine with sending Burnett out. Ive believed he absolutey could use some AAA time to refine his pitches & regain some confidence. Using him in 5th/6th here does nobody any good in his development. Still only 23 yrs old. Hope Guerra keeps it up & gets Gray out of here.

#8 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

For some strange reason, Gardy likes 13 pitchers on his staff and 3 catchers...so I expect Mastroanni to go down when Morneau comes back. It should be either Burnett or Butera but it wont be.

#9 Montecore

Montecore

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

Either Butera or Burnett, Parmalee, I suppose, because he's not looking good. It's funny no one's mentioned Plouffe. What's he hitting - .100?

#10 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

Either Butera or Burnett, Parmalee, I suppose, because he's not looking good. It's funny no one's mentioned Plouffe. What's he hitting - .100?

Plouffe is out of options & there is nobody else to play 3B.

#11 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

Does Swarzak have options left? If so, I'd send him down, maybe stretch him out a bit in case they need him to step back in to the rotation. 2nd choice would be Burnett, simply because he has options. Gray and Burton would certainly get claimed, Diamond and Walters have pitched quite well and probably will be given more time to solidify a spot. I think everyone else on the pitching staff has enough MLB experience to be able to refuse being sent down.

#12 stringer bell

stringer bell

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

Swarzak is out of options, Gray is out of options, Plouffe is out of options. If a pitcher goes, it will either be Burnett or someone from the starting rotation. Mastroianni and Butera aren't secure either--both have had their options used this year.

#13 Mchans24

Mchans24

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

Why all the Gray hate? He has pitched I. Much tougher situation than Burnett and been fairly good. They will not send Diamond down. Parmalee is probably the best bet but that doesn't get us to 12 pitchers.

#14 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

Isn't Gray's ERA under 2? Burnett will be the one sent down. Is it time to see what Romero can do at 3b?

#15 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

We talked about this on GATG today. I think it depends on whether they think Parmelee is getting back on track. If not, I think they'll send him to AAA. If he is getting back on track, it'll be a 13th pitcher or Mastroianni, I think. Of the 13, I"m guessing Gray. I do't think they'll cry any rivers if he's claimed. And given how few guys are getting claimed, I doubt he will.

#16 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

Send Burnett out. Give Gray more ops to sink or swim. If he swims pawn him off for a Player to be named later.

#17 nancyswatches

nancyswatches

Banned

• Banned
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

never heard.ai.so sorry