Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Game 33 -- Twins vs. Blue Jays 5/12/12

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

BLUE JAYS (18-15)
1. Kelly Johnson, 2B
2. Yunel Escobar, SS
3. Jose Bautista, RF
4. Edwin Encarnacion, DH
5. Eric Thames, LF
6. Brett Lawrie, 3B
7. Colby Rasmus, CF
8. Adam Lind, 1B
9. Jeff Mathis, C

Starting pitcher: RH Drew Hutchinson (1-1, 6.65 ERA)
TWINS (9-23)
1. Denard Span, CF
2. Brian Dozier, SS
3. Joe Mauer, C
4. Josh Willingham, LF
5. Ryan Doumit, DH
6. Trevor Plouffe, 3B
7. Chris Parmelee, 1B
8. Darin Mastroianni, RF
9. Jamey Carroll, 2B

Starting pitcher: RH P.J. Walters (2012 debut)

#2 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

Right-handed pitcher and no Komatsu or Casilla.

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

Right-handed pitcher and no Komatsu or Casilla.

They won yesterday with this lineup and I bet Gardy will run the same lineup until they lose :)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

I don't mind it. Mastroianni got things going yesterday and should be back out there. Casilla's a utility guy now, so no worries with him on the bench. Carroll is the starting 2B.

#5 Neinstein

Neinstein

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

Today looks like a good day for Darin to get that 1st Major League SB.
"You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." ​Albert Einstein

#6 pjnelly

pjnelly

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

It seemed like the key to yesterday's win was to run up the pitch count. I hope our hitters can get deep into counts again today.

#7 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super friend

• Members
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

Nice debut (so far) P.J.!
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

Four scoreless innings so far for PJ Walters. Looks good. Throwing strikes. Enough FB. Very good changeup.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

Fun watching Darin Mastroianni at bats. Certainly has made the pitchers work in some long at bats these last couple of games.

#10 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

Only 1 run but it was damn encouraging to see them have some discipline, make the dude throw some damn strikes. Man, Hammer should have pummeled that slider over the plate into the river!

#11 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

Geez this team gets beat up by the HR, Walters is pitching well but he has to stop hanging that breaking ball so bloody high. If Bautista played here he'd hit 200 HR a year!!!

#12 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super friend

• Members
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

If Bautista want to sit right on the plate, why not throw inside and if it hits hims, so be it? You can't let a guy dictate an AB like that.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#13 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

How long can we go on with Plouffe? Hutchinson is struggling to consistently find the zone and you go up 1st pitch swinging with men in position, f**k!!

#14 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

Now that was good to see. Joe crushed that ball. Twins need to score this inning. Plouffe has had good plate discipline this season. I'd like to see some more games for him.

#15 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

Come again? That's twice on pitches that aren't even his to hit. Aside from his walk, it's been pathetic tonight.

#16 twinzgrl

twinzgrl

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Why can they NOT get a timely hit?!? It is so frustrating.

#17 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

Come again? That's twice on pitches that aren't even his to hit. Aside from his walk, it's been pathetic tonight.

Willingham swung at the first pitch as well and made an out. Plouffe is responsible for the only run tonight. I'm not saying he's been great (or even good) but I'd like to see him get some extended play and see if that gets him in a rythm and he gets some hits. He's worked 10 walks in 60 PA. There aren't options at 3B right now, so I'm fine if the Twins give him another couple weeks.

#18 stringer bell

stringer bell

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

Well, I guess the 38 year old is the regular second baseman and Casilla is the utility guy. I think that's foolish but that's me.

#19 deanlambrecht

deanlambrecht

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

Joe Vavra and the hitting approach for the team in general. Look at Jamey Carroll, for example. Compare his career numbers until he got to the Twins. Think of what happened to Big Papi. We rely on natural hitting talent minus coaching, and it shows.

Here's Carroll, who's been a high average on base monster his entire career. 6 weeks with the Twins and he's a wreck:
http://www.baseball-...carroja01.shtml

#20 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

So who's everybody blaming tonight? Probably Gardy's fault, seems he told the pitching staff to pitch well but forgot to mention to the batters they need to hit the ball. He really should have remembered that.

#21 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

Joe Vavra and the hitting approach for the team in general. Look at Jamey Carroll, for example. Compare his career numbers until he got to the Twins. Think of what happened to Big Papi. We rely on natural hitting talent minus coaching, and it shows.

Here's Carroll, who's been a high average on base monster his entire career. 6 weeks with the Twins and he's a wreck:

Yeah you're right, it couldn't possibly be the guys holding the bat.

#22 Kneelb4zerg

Kneelb4zerg

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

Dude it's 6 weeks. Do you think he's ever had a 6 week stretch this bad in his entire career? Of all the things to complain about , the Twons supposedly ruining a 38 year old veteran is probably the dumbest one I've seen so far.

#23 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

Don't speak about that, you'll get AshburyJohn talking about how it's not necessarily a good time to get a hit with RISP. We've heard enough about that.

#24 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

Dude it's 6 weeks. Do you think he's ever had a 6 week stretch this bad in his entire career? Of all the things to complain about , the Twons supposedly ruining a 38 year old veteran is probably the dumbest one I've seen so far.

But he provided proof, didn't you read the link? You have to read between the lines, it clearly proves Joe Vavra has ruined Jamey Carroll. It's kind of like listening to The White album backwards, very cryptic.

#25 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

Personally I'm going to blame this whole debacle of a season on the trees. When they opened Target Field, they had those pine trees in centerfield, giving the park some atmosphere. They won 94 games. Then the hitters complained, they took the trees out, and they've stunk ever since.:)

#26 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

Personally I'm going to blame this whole debacle of a season on the trees.

When they opened Target Field, they had those pine trees in centerfield, giving the park some atmosphere. They won 94 games. Then the hitters complained, they took the trees out, and they've stunk ever since.:)

+ 1, I'm with you.:):)

#27 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

Gardy made some good moves but it didn't work out, so is baseball.

#28 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

Let's be happy that Walters showed potential. If he can develop into a reliable #3, then he will be very valuable in the future.

#29 cr9617

cr9617

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

Let's be happy that Walters showed potential. If he can develop into a reliable #3, then he will be very valuable in the future.

Don't get your hopes up.

#30 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:56 PM

Don't get your hopes up.

As a fan, I need to find some shreds of hope to get through a season like this one.