Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Making a call (next two weeks) BOOK IT!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

The Twins finished off their pre all-star schedule on a bit of an upswing and now sit 6 games under .500 and 6.5 games out of the wild card hunt. Much will be written about the trade deadline and obviously these next two weeks will determine whether the Twins:

Become complete sellers after falling completely out of it. Minor sellers after treading water. Holding if they climb back into the race, or minor buyers if they get on fire in the next two weeks.

The Twins have a large strip of games at home with 3 vs Tampa, 3 vs Cleveland and 4 vs the Pale hose. Then 3 games at the baby Royals before the deadline hits.

My predictions:
2 out of 3 vs Tampa
2 out of 3 vs Cleveland
3 out of 4 vs White Sox
2 out of 3 vs Royals.

(9-4)

This would put the Twins at one game under .500 at the deadline and likely within 4.5 games or so of the wild card. At this point I would like/expect the Twins to simply be minor sellers or holders. (Correia/Burton traded for anything+ Willingham/Suzuki kept around)

If they can somehow win 10 or 11 of those games then I would like to see them try to bring in some CF help at a low cost.

The march to the playoffs continue :)
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#2 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

I think your crystal ball might need repair (although I hope not).

I'm guessing (note, guessing not predicting).

2 out of 3 vs Tampa
1 out of 3 vs Cleveland
3 out of 4 vs Sox
1 out of 3 vs Royals

(7-6), treading water is as optimistic as I can be………..and I hope they're selling.

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

I still think at this point that this team is a pretender and not a contender. Not trading Suzuki and Willingham is a mistake in my opinion.

#4 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

I love the optimism. Love it.
Lighten up Francis....

#5 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

What pills do I have to take to be as optimistic as you? I think a lot of things have to go right to make 9-4. I am inclined to be more in line with twinsnorth at 7-6 or 6-7. I was wrong last time as they were two games better than my prediction so here's hoping you are right but I am betting against it. ;)

#6 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

If they could pull that off, I'd be both pleased and impressed. Might dance a jig if they pulled off the 10-3.

Im not even worried at contention realistically. I'm just thinking healthy, working in some promotions in August, obviously more in September, ride a wave of some honest to goodness hope and enthusiasm, and maybe finish the last two months 4-5 games over .500 total. contention for anything or not, that would be a winning record gang.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#7 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

If they could pull that off, I'd be both pleased and impressed. Might dance a jig if they pulled off the 10-3.

Im not even worried at contention realistically. I'm just thinking healthy, working in some promotions in August, obviously more in September, ride a wave of some honest to goodness hope and enthusiasm, and maybe finish the last two months 4-5 games over .500 total. contention for anything or not, that would be a winning record gang.

Yeah, i'm not in the "playoffs or bust" mentality, but winning breeds more winning. I would love nothing more then to be watching some somewhat meaninful games in August and hopefully Sept.

Also remember, all you gotta do is stay "in it" anything can happen (i.e. 3 games back with 4 games to play)

#8 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

(9-4)

That would represent the Twins best 13-game stretch of the season so far. And that's not even including the 5-1 run just before the break (which by itself matched the Twins best 6 game run of the season), which would make for a 14-5 run in total.

For comparison, when the Royals briefly vaulted themselves into 1st place on the back of a 10 game win streak, they had a 14-4 run. Detroit reclaimed first place with a 16-5 run. Basically, such runs are generally the domain of the better or most surprising teams in baseball. Do you really expect the Twins to establish themselves like that over the next two weeks? What players are going to be the ones to majorly step forward the next two weeks to make it happen? I don't see them achieving that predicted record as a run of the mill team just hanging in the race.

I am glad that you nailed your prediction just before the break, but that was only for 4 games. Take it one series at a time, man! :)

#9 spanman2

spanman2

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

That would be great if it does happen. Would certainly be interesting if it were to occur what frame of mind Terry Ryan would then be in? Having that record would mean we are playing consistent ball which I as a fan am looking for. GO TWINS!!!

The Twins finished off their pre all-star schedule on a bit of an upswing and now sit 6 games under .500 and 6.5 games out of the wild card hunt. Much will be written about the trade deadline and obviously these next two weeks will determine whether the Twins:

Become complete sellers after falling completely out of it. Minor sellers after treading water. Holding if they climb back into the race, or minor buyers if they get on fire in the next two weeks.

The Twins have a large strip of games at home with 3 vs Tampa, 3 vs Cleveland and 4 vs the Pale hose. Then 3 games at the baby Royals before the deadline hits.

My predictions:
2 out of 3 vs Tampa
2 out of 3 vs Cleveland
3 out of 4 vs White Sox
2 out of 3 vs Royals.

(9-4)

This would put the Twins at one game under .500 at the deadline and likely within 4.5 games or so of the wild card. At this point I would like/expect the Twins to simply be minor sellers or holders. (Correia/Burton traded for anything+ Willingham/Suzuki kept around)

If they can somehow win 10 or 11 of those games then I would like to see them try to bring in some CF help at a low cost.

The march to the playoffs continue :)

#10 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

That would represent the Twins best 13-game stretch of the season so far. And that's not even including the 5-1 run just before the break (which by itself matched the Twins best 6 game run of the season), which would make for a 14-5 run in total.

For comparison, when the Royals briefly vaulted themselves into 1st place on the back of a 10 game win streak, they had a 14-4 run. Detroit reclaimed first place with a 16-5 run. Basically, such runs are generally the domain of the better or most surprising teams in baseball. Do you really expect the Twins to establish themselves like that over the next two weeks? What players are going to be the ones to majorly step forward the next two weeks to make it happen? I don't see them achieving that predicted record as a run of the mill team just hanging in the race.

I am glad that you nailed your prediction just before the break, but that was only for 4 games. Take it one series at a time, man! :)

True, I am better with my 4 game predictions, I actually called the Twins coming back from 3 games back with 4 to play to a T (and game 163). The old BYTO folks will remember that.

As far as players who can step up:
Hughes, Gibson, Meyer!, Pino, Correia all have the capabilities to keep us in the games along with the occasional gem.

As far as who steps up hitting wise? Seems like a good time for Doizer/Willingham/Morales to all get hot and hit some bombs.

#11 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

As far as players who can step up:
Hughes, Gibson, Meyer!, Pino, Correia all have the capabilities to keep us in the games along with the occasional gem.

As far as who steps up hitting wise? Seems like a good time for Doizer/Willingham/Morales to all get hot and hit some bombs.

Problem is, aside from Meyer, those pitchers you mention have already "stepped up" to that level (Hughes and Gibson pretty much all season, Correia the past 2 months, and Pino for his month), yet we're still a sub-.500 team. Same with Dozier -- he's been more or less fine all year. We need serious stepping up beyond these guys to suddenly and dramatically improve our record.

We'd probably need at least 3 of Willingham, Morales, Mauer, or Arcia to get super-hot immediately to get on that kind of a roll (and we still might need unexpected high-level pitching from Johnson/Nolasco, or great debuts from Meyer/May, to make it happen). None of these 4 hitters have shown any kind of sustainable offense yet this season (Willingham and Arcia arguably didn't in 2013 either), so I'm kinda doubtful it all clicks for them at the same time now.

#12 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:33 AM

0-13 Gardy and Anderson offered extensions. BOOK IT!
Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

#13 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:35 AM

The Twins need to become sellers at 54 losses.

There is still hope, but the window is closing after stumbling out if the second half gate. Two teams desperate for wins. One team looked ready.

#14 TheBigGuy7273

TheBigGuy7273

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:54 AM

2 of Willingham, Moralas, and Suzuki will be traded At or before the deadling. My guess, Willingham and suzuki. I think one of these teams with all these pitchers getting hurt may over pay a bit for Correia. Especially if a burton or Duensing are included. Watch for the mariners to be a possible destination. Correia could be a good fit there. Angels will be looking for relief help. Just a couple of teams that could be darkhorses to go a cheaper/shorter commitment route. If Moralas heats up and gets closer to career norms, i could see and team needing a bat looking at him in August, (Yankees) if they are in it.

#15 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

Regardless of record, there are pieces that need to be sold before the deadline ie Correia.

#16 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

Twins need to go 9-1 over their next 10 games, good luck. I hope nobody went ahead and booked it.

Coming out looking like this at home, after all that trash they talked about proving that we shouldn't be sellers, shows the kind of (lack of) heart that is on this club.
It's getting very depressing thinking we could be looking at several more years of this mess, as I'm not sure I'm seeing anyone, outside of maybe Dozier and Perkins who have the heart and/or desire to turn this thing around.

#17 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

I think they have 9 games before the deadline. The game on the 31st is after the deadline. They need to go 9-0 to be .500 at the deadline.

One more loss and it is time to sell off everyone without a 2015 commitment for whatever the market will return.

#18 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

Twins need to go 9-1 over their next 10 games, good luck. I hope nobody went ahead and booked it.

Coming out looking like this at home, after all that trash they talked about proving that we shouldn't be sellers, shows the kind of (lack of) heart that is on this club.
It's getting very depressing thinking we could be looking at several more years of this mess, as I'm not sure I'm seeing anyone, outside of maybe Dozier and Perkins who have the heart and/or desire to turn this thing around.

Lack of heart? I think they're just not very good, up and down the lineup.

#19 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

Bingo! We have a winner.

#20 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

...I'm not sure I'm seeing anyone, outside of maybe Dozier and Perkins who have the heart and/or desire to turn this thing around.

It's not easy to distinguish between lack of heart and lack of ability. Also, the Rays seem to be playing well.

Let's not turn this into a squabble about lack of heart. I am not denying that there may be a lack of heart, but the evidence so far seems inconclusive.

#21 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

......Nailed it
Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
Better get while the gettin's good
Catch a ride to the end of the highway
Where the neons turn to wood

#22 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

The Twins ran into a Maddon buzzsaw. The Rays won a grand total of only 24 games through June 10. From June 11 to today, the Rays have won 23 out of 32 games, which is the best record over that time in all of baseball.

To say the Twins don't match up well with the Rays would be an understatement.... consider.... since the Rays run began, their pitchers have the highest K rates and their batters have the lowest K rates- practically the inverse of the Twins over that time frame.

#23 longtimefan

longtimefan

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

Well, not looking too good now....crap!! need a miracle the rest of the month now:angry::mad:

#24 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

This is what I am BOOKING (a vacation).
Posted Image
When I see these two faces, at least I know that I will be drugged, and tricked into believing my fantasies are becoming reality. That means the Twins will win the World Series This year... sort of.

Hip Hip Hooray!!!

#25 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

I think people got too caught up in the "this will be easy" thing. Sometimes it's not about who you play but when you play them.

Cleveland is playing some good ball right now to - they're going to need to pull a turnaround like they did right before the break or this might get ugly.

#26 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

I have to disagree with the "lack of heart" comment. There have way too many rallies (or near rallies) at the end of games to claim lack of heart. Compare to the previous seasons (especially in September) when it looked as if the Twins were actively helping the opponents shorten the game so it would end (in defeat!) so the players could do something else besides play baseball. No, these guys are trying (to win)--they just aren't succeeding at winning.

#27 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Elizabethton (with Chief)

• Members
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:37 PM

It's also gotta be tough in a media/clubhouse atmosphere where a series in Detroit in May becomes a "huge series for us" and homestands become "critical" and "we really need this game" and stuff like that. Every time I catch the radio pregame show, that's what I hear, from broadcasters, players, whoever. I'm not as familiar with the tv/Fox presentation but maybe it's similar. It might explain why we can look so good in one stretch of games, and then be completely flat in the next. We're a long way from the light touch, long view approach of Tom Kelly and Herb Carneal in that regard. :) and this is actually how Maddon is rallying the Rays back into contention. Just an idea.

#28 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:51 PM

0-3 vs TB. Cleveland has been playing well. Kris Johnson & Jose Pino pitch on Monday & Tuesday and how will they do? We could easily be 0-6 or 1-5 after Wednesdays games.

That would put us firmly in the sellers category? Unfortunately what would we get for Willingham, Correia, Suzuki or Morales ? Or Parmalee and/or Colabello for that matter. If we can't get a player that can help our future Twins roster, then we shouldn't be selling just because we are going to have another losing record.

#29 AM.

AM.

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:30 AM

I would have predicted 5-8 in this stretch (with 1-2 vs TB). They don't look like a contending team to me...13th best record in the AL, 27th best team ERA, and a rotation with Correia, Pino, and Johnson. Will they finish the season ahead of the Rangers?

However, "sellers" is a relative term to Ryan. The over/under on total players moved by the deadline should be 1.5, and based on history, I'd go with the under.

#30 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:18 AM

Well folks, when you are right 42% of the time you are wrong 58% of the time.