Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/16): Tomshaw, Buxton, Walker

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:50 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...w-Buxton-Walker

#2 benji21

benji21

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:35 AM

End of the first half seems like a good time to say thank you to Seth and everyone else who puts in so much time throughout the busy weeks putting these together. Ive followed you each since before TD and these reports continue to be my favorite part. Thanks fellas!

#3 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:35 AM

I recall that Matt LeCroy hit a bunch of home runs at Fort Myers. Does he have the most of any Twins organization player? If the most is in the high 20's, seems like Walker should have a shot at setting a new record.

#4 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:09 AM

Hopefully this is a sign that Buxton is truly back. If he hits like this for a week or two do the Twins get up moved up to AA?

#5 Jack Torse

Jack Torse

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:03 AM

I don't follow the minor leagues like I once did but isn't the FSL notorious for not allowing homeruns? I see this Walker has 20 with 2 months to go. They have lots of decisions to make in the next months with all the 1b/dh/corner OF spots in the majors or inching closer.

#6 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

We got Miguel Sulbaran for Drew Butera . . . who I just checked on and is doing quite well in the FSL this year. He looked like a good return for Drew back when we got him and still is looking like a solid return for an all glove no bat catcher.

Just makes me think we could get something pretty solid for Suzuki and would be the right move to trade him. I don't want them to give him up for peanuts but I think we're looking at one solid prospect at the very least for him.

#7 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:11 AM

We got Miguel Sulbaran for Drew Butera . . . who I just checked on and is doing quite well in the FSL this year. He looked like a good return for Drew back when we got him and still is looking like a solid return for an all glove no bat catcher.

Just makes me think we could get something pretty solid for Suzuki and would be the right move to trade him. I don't want them to give him up for peanuts but I think we're looking at one solid prospect at the very least for him.

oops wrong thread!! please ignore

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

I recall that Matt LeCroy hit a bunch of home runs at Fort Myers. Does he have the most of any Twins organization player? If the most is in the high 20's, seems like Walker should have a shot at setting a new record.

Per Brice Zimmerman, the single-season record for home runs in a season for the Ft. Myers Miracle is held by Brock Peterson, who hit 21 homers in 2006. Walker hit his 20th last night.

To be fair, Miguel Sano had 16 homers with the Miracle last year before being promoted in early June. I'm guessing there are others that were promoted at midseason who may have had similar opportunity to break that record.

Matthew LeCroy had 20 homers in 1999 with the Miracle in 89 games. Walker hit his 20th last night in his 88th game.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

Hopefully this is a sign that Buxton is truly back. If he hits like this for a week or two do the Twins get up moved up to AA?

It's possible, but they're going to let him be comfortable first before moving him up.

#10 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

"To be fair, Miguel Sano had 16 homers with the Miracle last night" Guessing that is a single game record. :)

#11 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

It's possible, but they're going to let him be comfortable first before moving him up.

And rightly so...I'm the biggest pusher for promotion of the best prospects, but this clearly is one case where there is absolutely no need to rush, another setback with the wrist, or a compensation injury because of the wrist should be avoided at all costs, the Twins would be smart to take this very slowly with Buxton. Plus, you have a scenario in CF that has to play out with Rosario and Hicks. If he's back to the old Buck by the end of the month, then fine, let the chips in New Britain fall where they may, and move him on up.

#12 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

Yup, I love it when they move guys up to challenge them, but no reason for Buxton to move up right now, imo.
Lighten up Francis....

#13 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

Polanco is giving every indication that his bat needs more of a challenge at a higher level. Any chance he get's promoted before the start of the second half or real soon?

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

"To be fair, Miguel Sano had 16 homers with the Miracle last night" Guessing that is a single game record. :)

Good call... I corrected it. Ha!

#15 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

I'm confident Walker can shatter this record and not only because he's staying in A+ longer than most. I think so because he hits HRs at a higher rate than all of the Power hitters in the Twins organization / system (not named Sano). Sano would have easily broke it.

The following players hit a HR every ___ games while in the minor leagues.
Miguel Sano every 4.2 games
Adam Brett Walker every 4.5 games (has led his league at every level thru minors)
Chris Colabello every 5.2 games
Kennys Vargas every 6.4 games
Brock Peterson every 7.1 games (Miracle record holder at 21 HRs)
Oswaldo Arcia every 7.4 games
Chris Parmelee every 7.8 games
Trevor Plouffe every 10.5 games

Those Top 4 could be fun to watch in 2016. What I really like about Walker as well, is that he seems to be durable (knock on wood). He has played in 93% of the games his teams have played over the course of 3 seasons.

#16 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

If Walker can lead the FSL (A+) in HR, it will be 3 straight years he's led the league he's in in HR. Pretty cool. He's been slightly younger than his competition too, not much, generally a half a year, but still. Not too shabby. If he does it again next year at AA...that would perhaps swing the needle over towards for many to have more expectation of a possible MLB contributor.

#17 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

Not sure that will make believers out of most. But maybe the 4th time is the charm?

#18 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

Lightfoot, you're probably right.

But gosh dang...yeah...if he does 4 for 4. That's something.

#19 Lakeside

Lakeside

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

I'm confident Walker can shatter this record and not only because he's staying in A+ longer than most. I think so because he hits HRs at a higher rate than all of the Power hitters in the Twins organization / system (not named Sano). Sano would have easily broke it.

The following players hit a HR every ___ games while in the minor leagues.
Miguel Sano every 4.2 games
Adam Brett Walker every 4.5 games (has led his league at every level thru minors)
Chris Colabello every 5.2 games
Kennys Vargas every 6.4 games
Brock Peterson every 7.1 games (Miracle record holder at 21 HRs)
Oswaldo Arcia every 7.4 games
Chris Parmelee every 7.8 games
Trevor Plouffe every 10.5 games

Those Top 4 could be fun to watch in 2016. What I really like about Walker as well, is that he seems to be durable (knock on wood). He has played in 93% of the games his teams have played over the course of 3 seasons.

You think Colabello will still be with the Twins in 2016?

Remember they offered him to a Korean team (ala Albers) last winter

#20 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

Not sure that will make believers out of most. But maybe the 4th time is the charm?

There's plenty of reason to like the guy, but the fact that he continues to lead his leagues in HR is also an indicator that he isn't able to move up multiple levels a season.

I love the power, but a .295 OBP? Wow, that's pretty awful for the HR leader in A ball. That's led to a rather average .745 OPS, despite all those longballs. He is walking better this year, but still not enough considering the shakey control most A ballers have and the fact that HR leaders often get pitched around.

#21 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

There's plenty of reason to like the guy, but the fact that he continues to lead his leagues in HR is also an indicator that he isn't able to move up multiple levels a season.

I love the power, but a .295 OBP? Wow, that's pretty awful for the HR leader in A ball. That's led to a rather average .745 OPS, despite all those longballs. He is walking better this year, but still not enough considering the shakey control most A ballers have and the fact that HR leaders often get pitched around.

*League MVP in Low "A" ball despite awful OBP
*HRs in every 4.5 games despite playing in "The FSL Pitchers League" where hitters notoriouisly don't hit HRs or hit for high averages.
*The highest BA in the FSL in 2013 was .289 with at least 125 games played.
*Lifetime .309 OBP is not far off this years .295 OBP - So he is doing what he normally does (in theory). HRs and RBIs (Every Year consistently)
*Oh yeah 2nd on team in scoring by 1 run despite getting on base less than everyone else. Although people try to discount the HRs because singles and BBs should be easier to come by if you change your approach.
*His teams win............... With him doing what he does in the middle of lineup. (Every year)

Edited by lightfoot789, 17 July 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#22 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

I'm not a moderator, but could you two boys take it outside and not take over every update in which Walker does something of note?

#23 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

Done. What do you want to talk about? I'm game for anything Twin related.

#24 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

Matt Tonshaw should be the focus of this thread anyway. Another awesome performance and again no true respect for a pitch that has MLB upside. Why is his dominant knuckler less celebrated than many of these 90 to 93 fastball throwing prospects who have no control and don't have a feel for pitching. Dickey is a old knuckle ball thrower and age doesn't matter much when you have that pitch. Tomshaw's age should notbe a major concern because he does have a pitch that NO ONE else in organization can throw effectively. Move the man up and let's see what he can do at AA!!

#25 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:53 PM

I love having a knuckler on staff. I remember the early to mid 2000's. It just seemed like we would be on a roll, a knuckler would come to town, shut us down and wreck the timing for the next two games.

#26 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:45 PM

Tomshaw is 25.6 years old in Fort Myers. Not very exciting.

Adam Walker can probably get a taste of New Britain in August. The power potential rivals Sano and Vargas.

#27 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

I'm a pretty big believer in looking at age/level performance. OTOH, I think the method is good only for the big part of the bell curve, and outliers may not be as well served. Someone like Colabello who wasted many years against inferior opponents, or Tomshaw trying to master a difficult pitch (if that is the case) would be examples where a little more patience is warranted, even if the odds of the significant payoff remain low.

#28 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

Adam Walker can probably get a taste of New Britain in August. The power potential rivals Sano and Vargas.

Does anyone know what percentage of Tomshaw's pitches are knucklers? If that is a growing number as he gains more confidence in the pitch, his age becomes less relevant.