Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: An All-Star Showing from the Twins

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:59 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...-From-the-Twins

#2 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:46 PM

The Twins have a long way to go to become competitive. There are plenty of reasons to be negative. On the other hand, there are also some reasons for hope, and in the meantime we are all in this together.

#3 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:20 AM

Great article, Nick. I am a relatively new participant in TD, and it was particularly interesting to me to read accounts of how your group started, your goals, and how the 5 of you interact. I see nothing but good coming to the TD group.

#4 DarrenVahtra

DarrenVahtra

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:04 AM

Scott diamond is gone. I think thats a huge positive for this season.

#5 FlsPrpht

FlsPrpht

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:17 AM

The Twins were right to issue that apology. That show was completely out of line with city ordinances.

#6 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:26 AM

There have been some pretty incendiary and harsh things written about the Twins in recent weeks, here and elsewhere -- what with the team in last place, Joe Mauer on the shelf during a miserable season and Ricky Nolasco thus far shaping up as an epic free agent bust.

Ive been in the NE area for the past 2 months. One listen to the local sports talk radio tells me Twins fans don't understand what "incendiary and harsh" means.

#7 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

Great write up, Nick. I'm not one who usually watches much of the game, but I did last night. Having Perk and Suzuki to come in and finish it off for the win was as good as it gets.

#8 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

Great write up, Nick. I'm not one who usually watches much of the game, but I did last night. Having Perk and Suzuki to come in and finish it off for the win was as good as it gets.

Really, hats off to John Farrell. Let's face it, neither Perk nor Suzuki are superstars, and the fact that he planned that final battery was really moving to me. He also announced it during a game interview, so I knew I actually had to stay up for the whole game! :o (I'm on Eastern time, if that's an excuse). I'll always think well of Farrell.

#9 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

The Twins were right to issue that apology. That show was completely out of line with city ordinances.

Except the city's lifeblood depends on Target Field, which results in drawing mega-events like this- the city coffers make Million$. I'm sure a variance to the city ordinances was drawn up in the contract with MLB and the Twins. This was on the City of Minneapolis in not getting a heads-up out to all its citizens.

#10 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,418 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

It looks like it was a great week.

When TF was set to open, the Twins appeared to focus intensely on the "fan experience" and making TF a destination -- the ASG festivities seem to be a culmination of that.

But in doing so, it also appeared that they lost focus on what, to baseball fans, is more important -- the product on the field.

All the marketing in the world can't succeed if the product is a bust (at least for long). I understand your appreciation for the "bells and whistles" but they don't mean much to me. I just hope tha the BASEBALL management of the Twins returns them to respectability soon.

#11 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:28 AM

it looks like it was a great week.

When tf was set to open, the twins appeared to focus intensely on the "fan experience" and making tf a destination -- the asg festivities seem to be a culmination of that.

but in doing so, it also appeared that they lost focus on what, to baseball fans, is more important -- the product on the field.

All the marketing in the world can't succeed if the product is a bust (at least for long). I understand your appreciation for the "bells and whistles" but they don't mean much to me. I just hope that the baseball management of the twins returns them to respectability soon.

hear! Hear!

#12 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

Ive been in the NE area for the past 2 months. One listen to the local sports talk radio tells me Twins fans don't understand what "incendiary and harsh" means.

No kidding, the Twins get off easy compared to East Coast teams. Phil Hughes would die from hysterical laughing if Joe Mauer ever complained about his recent negative media attention.

Of course negative attention is better than no attention as the saying goes. If they were in California, any exploits would be met with a shrug of the shoulders and a change of conversation to celebrity fashion or legalizing all drugs, depending on if you're in the southern or northern part of the state.

#13 Menth12

Menth12

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

Great article! Completely agree with your thoughts, sometimes it feels like we, as fans, lose focus about how great an organization we have here!

#14 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

When TF was set to open, the Twins appeared to focus intensely on the "fan experience" and making TF a destination -- the ASG festivities seem to be a culmination of that.

But in doing so, it also appeared that they lost focus on what, to baseball fans, is more important -- the product on the field.

All the marketing in the world can't succeed if the product is a bust (at least for long). I understand your appreciation for the "bells and whistles" but they don't mean much to me. I just hope tha the BASEBALL management of the Twins returns them to respectability soon.

The yin and yang for the small market teams has to be the Twins "yin" to the Rays "yang".

The Rays have generally been very, very good since 2008, (arguably) the best field manager, GM, talent developmental staff and scouting system in terms of return on investment in working from a very small revenue base and payroll. Around half their home games they get to host the behemoth draws in their AL East foes, the Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles and Jays as well as in-state rival Marlins. Yet the Tampa Bay marketing department seemingly can't even give away their compelling on-field product, apparently the "experience" in their poorly situated plastic dome and lack of imagination in selling the Rays outweighs the positive results on the field- and in a demographic area where the majority of the people have all kinds of free time and disposable retirement income to spend.

The Twins marketing group are geniuses by comparison- they put one of their marketing guys, of all people, into the GM chair- and why not?- he helped get 3 million people to watch indoor baseball in an ugly, outmoded park built for football. Then they sold a dream to governmental bodies and the taxpayers to build them their very own outdoor Field of Dreams. Too much time and effort spent on selling the dream, not enough on the light-of-day reality.

Edited by jokin, 16 July 2014 - 07:49 AM.

#15 Lakeside

Lakeside

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

The yin and yang for the small market teams has to be the Twins "yin" to the Rays "yang".

The Rays have generally been very, very good since 2008, (arguably) the best field manager, GM, talent developmental staff and scouting system in terms of return on investment in working from a very small revenue base and payroll. Around half their home games they get to host the behemoth draws in their AL East foes, the Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles and Jays as well as in-state rival Marlins. Yet the Tampa Bay marketing department seemingly can't even give away their compelling on-field product, apparently the "experience" in their poorly situated plastic dome and lack of imagination in selling the Rays outweighs the positive results on the field- and in a demographic area where the majority of the people have all kinds of free time and disposable retirement income to spend.

The Twins marketing group are geniuses by comparison- they put one of their marketing guys, of all people, into the GM chair- and why not?- he helped get 3 million people to watch indoor baseball in an ugly, outmoded park built for football. Then they sold a dream to governmental bodies and the taxpayers to build them their very own outdoor Field of Dreams. Too much time and effort spent on selling the dream, not enough on the light-of-day reality.

Agreed, but don't forget the Twins have an over 50 year tie with Minnesota and the Upper Midwest in branding, history, etc. That leads to tons of loyalty. Tampa Bay is about half of that and many Tampa people are transplants with other team loyalties.

I think, in general, one of professional sports big challenges is to get the young people to be fans. . . just the fact that they have so much to do begs the question, "Will they continue to spend on pro sports as the generation before them has?"

#16 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

Yet, so many posters on here appear to be jealous of East
coast fans as if incendiary and harsh is something to aspire to. Ok, so Yankee fans would boo Mauer and criticize him more on talk shows. To some fans here it means they hold him more accountable as if that will make him try harder or perform better. I haven't liked some of the moves that Twins have made in the last 6 years but I look at the long term and I like to build from within. 2011 could be excused because of all the injuries but it also revealed a rot in the minor league system and to me 2012 was the low point. Everything this year except the injuries to Buxton and Sano point to a brighter future. The current crop of prospects are exciting but if they fail I will look forward to the next batch. We had a great 9 year run just a short time ago. A few years down can be digested if it results in another good run.

#17 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

Except the city's lifeblood depends on Target Field, which results in drawing mega-events like this.

Minneapolis is waaaay bigger than Target Field. The Warehouse District was thriving before it was built, and the majority of the city's economy and the hundreds of thousands of people of live here could care less about the Twins.

#18 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

I wonder how soon the youth movement will take place now. I would assume that the season ticket sales will be down next year since they pushed the ASG hard. They need something to keep ticket sales up.

#19 nathanaakre

nathanaakre

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

To some fans here it means they hold him more accountable as if that will make him try harder or perform better.

Nailed it.

#20 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:58 AM

Target Field is a nice place to watch a ball game. That said I would take the drama of the 2008 play in game watchng on TV or the 2009 play in game against the Tigers in the crappy Metrodome and a competitive team over any hot dog or great craft beer in a heart beat.

The Twins are World Class levels at selling stuff inside the stadium and concessions, now they need to start putting on a more than competitive baseball team that contends for the playoffs. That is after all what most of hte fans pay for the tickets for. Go to any recent game and what do you see people standing around by the bars and looking at stuff and socializing. Some people will always go to games to be seen and to have fun in a crowd, that said the heart of the crowd is there to watch baseball games.

Twins built up some loyalty and pride the last decade even if they did not advance much in the playoffs, they have been trading on that loyalty from the ticket buyer for four straight years now with a lot of lousy baseball. I think everyone knows that it is about time the ownership, Front office, coaches, and players everyone involved in the baseball operation start stepping it up.
Find a way to start scoring one more run or give up one less run everygame that is a start, if you look at all of the one run losses this year, that is the difference from being a winning team and a last place team right now.
A good start would be to bring in one of those young guns or a fireballer for the rotation, instead of the "next guy in line" retread minor leaguer types.
Santanna coming back will help and they need to get healthy, but they have to find way to squeeze more out of the starting staff if they are going to get back to respectability. It all starts with the starting pitching.

#21 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

Minneapolis is waaaay bigger than Target Field. The Warehouse District was thriving before it was built, and the majority of the city's economy and the hundreds of thousands of people of live here could care less about the Twins.

I'm not sure about any of your conclusions. The city went all out to get the park, and then to get it built where it was, there can be no doubt that it was acquired for the millions of fan and tourist dollars beyond the thousands of Minneapolitans (maybe that's why they oppose having to pay for it) and the prestige it brought to downtown, especially to build up the Warehouse District. If it wasn't such a big deal, why is it at the nexus of the entire metro public rapid transportation system- which will end up being a multi-multi billion dollar enterprise when it ends up with 6 rail lines?

#22 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

I'm not sure about any of your conclusions. The city went all out to get the park, and then to get it built where it was, there can be no doubt that it was acquired for the millions of fan and tourist dollars beyond the thousands of Minneapolitans (maybe that's why they oppose having to pay for it) and the prestige it brought to downtown, especially to build up the Warehouse District. If it wasn't such a big deal, why is it at the nexus of the entire metro public rapid transportation system- which will end up being a multi-multi billion dollar enterprise when it ends up with 6 rail lines?

Because baseball and it's 81 home games from April to October every year is a boon for municipal taxes such as alcoholic beverage and sales taxes that it drives. Medtronic and Honeywell mean far more to the inhabitants of Minneapolis than the Twins and Vikings combined. Sure we all love our sports, and we all pay big money to watch and follow, but I choose my income over my hobbies every time.

Getting back to the subject at hand, I'm very happy for the organization, and it was great to see a strong showing by Twins players and Twins fans alike, despite the poor performance on the field. It appears to have been successful for all of the parties involved (pun intended).

#23 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

I have been to a couple all star games now, and Minneapolis/Target field absolutely crushed it in every way.

-Getting around was a breeze, they had a green arrow from the hotels to the ball park, which was genius/simple but allows all the drunks/tired/weary to easily find out how to get to and from the ball park.

-The ammenties at Target field were just top notch as always. That new beer machine was fun to use and they had some awesome food options including an ridiculous bloody Mary that includes a slider or brat on it. Those beer machines actually made the total cost of beers cheaper I believe, $6 got you a full cup of frosty cold bud light.

-Downtown was clean/safe/fun and the parties were second to none. Those fireworks were LOUD we remember thinking it must be pissing off some of the people in town who had to work the next morning.

-The game was fun and made even better by the Perkins 1-2-3 perfect inning. The staff at the ball park were great.

-The Derby was a blast as well, however it still runs a little long IMO and gets a little redundant. It's a shame that Morneau/Dozier didn't make it out of the first round.

-All star game souvieners get an F from me, typically I don't complain about high prices, but good lord: $45 for t-shirts, $60 for hats. There is zero possible way for someone to take a family to that game which is a shame.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028::whacky028::whacky028:

#24 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

I thought Honeywell was no longer headquarted in Minneapolis.

#25 CRArko

CRArko

Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

I thought Honeywell was no longer headquarted in Minneapolis.

Correct. After the Allied Signal merger the HQ is in New Jersey. And ATK's HQ is in Virginia.

Things have changed a lot since I worked there.
Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
I sleep all night and I work all day.