Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Who is going to be the first...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

To explain how this game was a fluke, and we're still the worst team ever and we should fire everybody?

#2 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

To be balanced, we should also wonder who's going to be the first to annoint Dozier the best Twins shortstop since ____. Hard to say who's truly first on most stuff since both sides are essentially ongoing at all times! Haha.

#3 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

To explain how this game was a fluke, and we're still the worst team ever and we should fire everybody?

I watched the Angel's telecast and they blamed the loss on Haren's stiff back and on the fact that the Angels had not seen Diamond before.

I think that the truth is that the Twins played a decent game and that Dozier is off to a promising start.

Edited by glunn, 08 May 2012 - 10:35 PM.
typo

#4 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

Whatcha Mean? The new story line for the season is "A Diamond in the Rough and the Bull Dozier". I am the first to exclaim this point!!!

#5 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

I think a bunch of those guys finally noticed the acorn.

#6 TwinsGuy55422

TwinsGuy55422

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:41 PM

Whether the Angels have seen Diamond or not, I will take 7 scoreless innings any day of the week. I was also impressed with Dozier. I know we should expect some ups and downs with him, but hopefully he can continue to play hard, learn, and develop confidence at this level.
TwinsGuy55422
"And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

#7 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:15 AM

Fluke or not, I enjoy seeing actual prospects playing who look confident and perform. Hendriks looked confident but didn't perform, but I would still lump him in with Dozier and Diamond. I have been calling for Diamond since Liriano's bad start almost 3 weeks ago. One thing to think about is that playing prospects full-time and winning more games are not mutually exclusive. Now Parmelee has been both unlucky and preyed upon (see Parker's excellent article) and probably needs to head back down, but I am starting to like what Rochester is giving the Twins. Now . . . will they (Rochester) stop wasting time playing joke players like Joe Thurston?

#8 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:30 AM

By far the most encouraging thing I've seen over the past couple days has been Dozier's defense at short. There seemed to be some doubt even within the organization as to whether he could play short in the majors, but he's shown plenty in these two games to inspire confidence.

#9 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:09 AM

By far the most encouraging thing I've seen over the past couple days has been Dozier's defense at short. There seemed to be some doubt even within the organization as to whether he could play short in the majors, but he's shown plenty in these two games to inspire confidence.

Yes, on two fronts, from tonight's game (didn't see much of Monday's game): one, he made a ballsy sliding play and popped up quickly with a strong throw to first, and two, not ballsy, but fundamentally sound . . . he charges the damn ball. Charging the ball makes up for any average arm (which it may be, but average is still, well, good enough).

#10 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:15 AM

Twins about ready to get hot!

#11 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:06 AM

*Championship*

Last night's win was great - it's not the end of bad games for the Twins, but it sure was nice. I'm optimistic that Pavano can out-pitch Ervin Santana and the Twins can win another series against the Angels tonight!

#12 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:21 AM

Great game last night. The only bad part of it was the fact that Valencia looked horrible at the plate. Game easily could have been 8-0. And Dozier is the best SS we've has since Hardy.
I bent my wookie...

#13 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

[QUOTE=Gernzy;16010 And Dozier is the best SS we've has since Hardy.[/QUOTE]

And the meal I had at Applebees was the best one I've had since I ate at Kenny Rogers Roasters.

Dozier had a good game, loved it but it was his 2nd game, don't open him up to the piranhas on this site waiting for him to fail.

#14 James

James

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

I thought is was a very encouraging game. Dozier was playing some pretty good defense. Let's hope he keeps that up. I didn't see him play on Monday, so this was the first chance I had to see him in action. He seems to have a pretty strong arm as well. Diamond pitched a good game. Let's hope he keeps that up as well.
You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

#15 stringer bell

stringer bell

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

Both Dozier and Diamond are probably being praised (and pulled for) more than a typical newcomer because the need is so great at their positions. To have a shortstop who is average or better on offense and defense has been a rarity and last year's situation at short and second was the worst I've ever seen for the Twins. Starting pitching is an area of glaring need as well.

#16 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

Compared to Nishioka he's amazing. Verdict is still out comparing him to Carroll. They both are great on defense and Dozier had more upside with the bat. Yes I know it's only been 2 games but he could be the staple we need at SS.
I bent my wookie...

#17 StormJH1

StormJH1

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

I don't like the word "fluke" because it implies that the outcome isn't legitimate. The win last night was legitimate. It also so happens that sometimes teams throw out a lineup and pitcher inferior to the other team, and still win occasionally in the course of a 162-game season. It HAS to be to the case, otherwise the "worst" team in the league would be 0-162, as opposed to winning 40-60 games. Diamond was 4-14 with a 5.56 ERA and 1.57 WHIP at Triple-A last year. He had much better stats prior to that, but my point is that this isn't like an "Anthony Slama" situation where the guy has an impeccable track record in the minors, but is nonetheless deemed as not having big league stuff. Fortunately for Diamond, even a 5.56 ERA would have made him a better option than Hendriks, Blackburn or Liriano so far. :( As for Dozier, I'm absolutely rooting for him. There is nothing to be gained by playing 38-year old Jamey Carroll on a bad team while overripe mid-to-low-tier prospect languish away in the minors.

#18 ShaeTwins

ShaeTwins

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

I'm just glad that we won and that Diamond pitched well against a relatively (?) potent lineup. I also like that the strikeout has become part of his game.

#19 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

The best starting pitching performance of the year came from the guy who was 7 or maybe 8 on the SP depth chart. Don't expect Diamond to be dominant, but at the very least he pitched with more confidence than we've seen out of Liriano and Hendriks. I like Diamond, but we also liked Duensing as a starter as well until he got overexposed. I can see why Gardy liked what he saw out of Dozier, he seems to position himself well and has good fielding instincts. I expect his hitting to come back to earth, though.

#20 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

Incidentally, did anybody notice this blurb from Hunter: Asked if this was another game where the Angels have to tip their cap to the opposing pitcher, Hunter said: "No, I'm not doing that this time. I tip my cap to Morrow, Alvarez. [Diamond] pitched a good game." Seems like kind of a dick thing to say.

#21 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

I was more impressed with Dozier's arm than I expected. That's nice to see and explains how he was getting to some of those grounders in the hole. I'll try and watch him a little more closely at the game tonight.

#22 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

Compared to Nishioka he's amazing. Verdict is still out comparing him to Carroll. They both are great on defense and Dozier had more upside with the bat.
Yes I know it's only been 2 games but he could be the staple we need at SS.

Agreed, I'd love to see it and as ShaneWahl points out he so far has done a lot of the little things right, like charging the ball, that was probably my favorite part of his game over his first two starts. He appears to be a gamer in the field and at the plate, I for one just don't want to up his shoe size quite yet.

#23 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

Incidentally, did anybody notice this blurb from Hunter:

Asked if this was another game where the Angels have to tip their cap to the opposing pitcher, Hunter said: "No, I'm not doing that this time. I tip my cap to Morrow, Alvarez. [Diamond] pitched a good game."

Seems like kind of a dick thing to say.

It is, but Hunter is a dick, no surprise here. He'd also tip his cap to himself.

#24 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

Agreed, I'd love to see it and as ShaneWahl points out he so far has done a lot of the little things right, like charging the ball, that was probably my favorite part of his game over his first two starts. He appears to be a gamer in the field and at the plate, I for one just don't want to up his shoe size quite yet.

I was watching the post game and Robby was interviewing Dozier. Robby asked about his defense and he said the first thing he makes sure to do is catch the ball and then whatever happens happens. Love the fundamentals.
I bent my wookie...

#25 James

James

• Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

I was more impressed with Dozier's arm than I expected. That's nice to see and explains how he was getting to some of those grounders in the hole. I'll try and watch him a little more closely at the game tonight.

I agree. That was the thing I noticed the most. Sure, he got to the ball, and obviously that is the most important thing, but he gets a lot on those throws. I guess I wasn't quite ready for that when I first saw him throw. Let's hope he keeps up the good work.
You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.