Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Buxton's injury and return

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,434 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

David Dorsey has a story about Buxton's injury/re-injury and return.

Thought some of you might find it interesting:

http://www.news-pres...swing/12655233/

#2 Jaykay

Jaykay

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

Nice night for the kid tonight.

3-4 with a walk and a triple.

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

Jeepers, I thought this thread was going to tell us he had another injury. This is much better.

#4 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:43 AM

Hopefully last nights game is his launching point for the rest of the season and he gets up to AA and plays some AFL to get at bats in and comes back full strength for spring training.

#5 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

The kid continues to be on fire. Through the 7th inning tonight, 3 for 3 with another home run plus a BB. He's 10 for his last 19, with 2 homers.

PS Polanco is 3 for 5 tonight with his 6th homer. Why isn't he at NB already - they don't even have a SS with any future there.

Edited by ScottyB, 18 July 2014 - 07:56 PM.

#6 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

I just turned the Fort Myers online stream and I heard the announcer say "hopefully Buxton is alright" heading into the break. Buxton was on base and ended the inning on the base paths. Anyone listening know what happened?

#7 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

I just turned the Fort Myers online stream and I heard the announcer say "hopefully Buxton is alright" heading into the break. Buxton was on base and ended the inning on the base paths. Anyone listening know what happened?

Keep us informed, please!

#8 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

He was hit by a pitch.

He went to the field.....they haven't mentioned it since. Hopefully I'm just crazy

#9 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

He was hit on the wrist with a pitch.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#10 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

#11 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:05 PM

Was it THE wrist?

#12 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

Was it THE wrist?

they're going to extra innings. Buxton has been in the field since it happened. Hopefully he'll get an at bat here and we'll get to see

Edit: Buxton coming up in the top of the 10th with runners on 2nd and 3rd

Edited by naobermiller, 18 July 2014 - 08:23 PM.

#13 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:35 PM

After striking out in the top of the 10th, Buxton returned to the field in the bottom of the inning. Having him swing a bat was what I was worried about, so at least early signs point to everything is just fine

#14 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:52 AM

Buxton is 11 for his last 22 in his last 5 games. This includes 2 HR's, 1 triple, 5 walks and at least 1 HBP. That's at least a .608 on base record. I guess his spring training is coming around. Another few games like this and how long do they wait to move him up?

#15 stringer bell

stringer bell

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:14 AM

I think he's in NB before the month is over, if he continues to rake and has no further injuries.

#16 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

Buxton is 11 for his last 22 in his last 5 games. This includes 2 HR's, 1 triple, 5 walks and at least 1 HBP. That's at least a .608 on base record. I guess his spring training is coming around. Another few games like this and how long do they wait to move him up?

Let the kid be healthy first and then let's talk about moving him up.

Here is another consideration: The Miracle has close to the 10th best record in the minors. But still it is a game behind the FSL North leader (Dunedin) and just 2 games or so ahead of St Lucie and Palm Beach in the South. So this is a pretty amazing year for the Miracle and if the Twins were to promote the 3 position players who deserve it right now (Buxton, Michael and Polanco) they'd take them out of the competition.

Still, I hope that Buxton is close, but the wrist has been a pretty big set back this year. Got to make sure that he is healthy and hitting. AA next season and a call up some time in 2015 (if the stars align for him) will not be too bad for him.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#17 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

The kid continues to be on fire. Through the 7th inning tonight, 3 for 3 with another home run plus a BB. He's 10 for his last 19, with 2 homers.

OPS of 1.818 in the past 3 games. That's a large enough sample size, right? Translates to a MLB OPS of 1.500 or so, I would guess. Question is not when to call him up to the Twins, but whether some higher league will call him up from us.

#18 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,085 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

Yeah, I think he moves up before August 1st. I do think, after missing so much time, it was wise to shake the rust off at a level he's had some success at rather than throw him into AA right away. Now it's just about maintaining health and trying to maintain this groove.

#19 stringer bell

stringer bell

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

Let the kid be healthy first and then let's talk about moving him up.

Here is another consideration: The Miracle has close to the 10th best record in the minors. But still it is a game behind the FSL North leader (Dunedin) and just 2 games or so ahead of St Lucie and Palm Beach in the South. So this is a pretty amazing year for the Miracle and if the Twins were to promote the 3 position players who deserve it right now (Buxton, Michael and Polanco) they'd take them out of the competition.

Still, I hope that Buxton is close, but the wrist has been a pretty big set back this year. Got to make sure that he is healthy and hitting. AA next season and a call up some time in 2015 (if the stars align for him) will not be too bad for him.

The Miracle won their division in the first half. They are in the playoffs at the end of the year. I don't think it matters much at all what kind of record they have in the second half.

By all accounts, Buxton was slated to start the season in New Britain. He is playing below the level he was supposed to play. The Twins waited until he was 100% before he saw the field, so yes, he is healthy. Most of all the kid needs to play and play at the highest level against which he can succeed. He's not some guy who might be a good player. He is the number one prospect in baseball.

#20 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

I am going to guess that Buxton gets promoted on the Monday the 28th. its after any weekend games. I do not know the schedule so if there is an off day around then, that's the day he'll likely be promoted.

So what's your guess date he gets promoted to AA?

#21 TwinsFanInPhilly

TwinsFanInPhilly

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

I am going to guess that Buxton gets promoted on the Monday the 28th. its after any weekend games. I do not know the schedule so if there is an off day around then, that's the day he'll likely be promoted.

So what's your guess date he gets promoted to AA?

Since I am going to Trenton to see NB play on 7/30, I would guess right after that. Seriously though, I would love to see both BB and Polanco promoted, just so I could see them. While I'm being greedy, I hope Berrios pitches that game! :)