Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Fangraphs Top 25 Midseason

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,886 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

http://www.fangraphs...dseason-update/

Five in the Top 24. That'll play.

Other news is that Buxton is now actually #2.
Papers...business papers.

#2 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,418 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

The most startling thing is the huge jump taken by Berrios. From preseason 93rd to #24. Well deserved.

Sano and Buxton have to be in a holding pattern -- there just isn't anything there to make a new judgment on.

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

Nice link. 5 in the top 25? Wow.

#4 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

And 3 of the 5 are pitchers, encouraging to say the least.

#5 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

Exciting! Even if only 3 work out, that's still impressive.
Lighten up Francis....

#6 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

Considering that any team isn't even guarenteed 1 by the odds having five shows the top end talent of the Twins for sure!

#7 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

5 of the top 10 play Shortstop. There is some serious talent coming up at that position.

#8 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:07 AM

And 3 of the 5 are pitchers, encouraging to say the least.

You would think 3 pitchers between 19 and 24 would mean you have one top of the rotation guy out of the three, at least.

#9 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

I would wonder what we could offer to pry one of the short stops away from the cubs. They won't need two long term...

#10 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

You would think 3 pitchers between 19 and 24 would mean you have one top of the rotation guy out of the three, at least.

I'm going to tell myself we will have 3 top of the rotation guys. :)

A new big 3... That's my hope.

#11 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

I would wonder what we could offer to pry one of the short stops away from the cubs. They won't need two long term...

At least one is moving to 3rd, wtih Bryant moving to right.....that's my guess.
Lighten up Francis....

#12 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

At least one is moving to 3rd, wtih Bryant moving to right.....that's my guess.

Here is his line at AA-AAA:

.333, 31 HR, 26 2B in 92 games. Pretty decent 55 HR, 46 2B clip. That bat may play OK at 1B as well.

#13 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

No faith in Gordon?

#14 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

Obviously, 5 of any top 25 is pretty good in a league with 30 teams! But do remember that midseason lists do not correlate with more commonly reference offseason top 100 lists. From the linked post:

"Any prospect-eligible player currently in the Majors was not considered for this list, including Oscar Taveras (Cardinals), Marcus Stroman (Blue Jays) and Mookie Betts (Red Sox). Any amateur turning pro in 2014 was also not included."

Also, our top 2 on this last have actually fallen from their preseason rankings (mostly a function of either barely swinging a bat so far). Meyer seems to have fallen in relative terms too, adjusting for list graduates. Stewart has probably more or less held his preseason spot.

Berrios is the real story here so far. Hopefully his fast climb up the prospect charts bodes well for a fast climb futher up the org ladder!

#15 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

No faith in Gordon?

I am hopeful but he won't be here in the next couple years and The team needs to be building for 2015-16 as years to be in contention

#16 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

5 of the top 10 play Shortstop. There is some serious talent coming up at that position.

They may all make it, but it seems like there are always a ton of SS rated highly. The position always seems to get overvalued due to the percieved defensive value. These guys do seem to have some bat to them, though I don't know that I'd rate them this high. Lindor, Russell and Crawford look to have league average to above league average bats, but none look to have any phenominal offensive tools.

I'd be thrilled to have each and every one of these guys, however while I know it's not cool to say in this day and age, but I don't give much of a crap about defense or the position, get me the best bat, period. When you get to the MLB level, I'm not trading Manny Rameriz (69 WAR) for Alan Trammel (70 WAR). Prospect rankings and the criteria going into complex statistacl data are just too heavily weighted toward the position these days in my opinion.

#17 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,886 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

They may all make it, but it seems like there are always a ton of SS rated highly. The position always seems to get overvalued due to the percieved defensive value. These guys do seem to have some bat to them, though I don't know that I'd rate them this high. Lindor, Russell and Crawford look to have league average to above league average bats, but none look to have any phenominal offensive tools.

I'd be thrilled to have each and every one of these guys, however while I know it's not cool to say in this day and age, but I don't give much of a crap about defense or the position, get me the best bat, period. When you get to the MLB level, I'm not trading Manny Rameriz (69 WAR) for Alan Trammel (70 WAR). Prospect rankings and the criteria going into complex statistacl data are just too heavily weighted toward the position these days in my opinion.

This is an important point.

I will say this about Lindor, I was as impressed with him as anyone yesterday in the Future's Game. So smooth at SS. Russell and Crawford will almost certainly stay at SS too, but I think they other guys have definite question marks about their ability to play the position. That is why those three are ranked that high even without the plus offensive tools.
Papers...business papers.

#18 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

This is an important point.

I will say this about Lindor, I was as impressed with him as anyone yesterday in the Future's Game. So smooth at SS. Russell and Crawford will almost certainly stay at SS too, but I think they other guys have definite question marks about their ability to play the position. That is why those three are ranked that high even without the plus offensive tools.

And I get it, sticking at SS with an average bat is a big upgrade over moving to 3B with a below average bat. Still, I take Manny Rameriz in LF and Eduardo Escobar at SS over Alan Trammel at SS and Chris Parmelee in LF.

I wish I hadn't used Trammel as an example honestly, I always did like him as a player.