Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

State of the AL Central

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,065 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

Chris Jaffe from The Hardball Times wrote an article on the State of the AL Central.

"One factoid from the article - the worst ever ERA by a starting rotation is 6.64 by the 1996 Tigers. So that's the mark for Minnesota to avoid."

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

I was hoping that the State of AL Central were defined with something more interesting than W-L record, ERA and batting average in that article :)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#3 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

I'll pass along one eye-opener from that article: The Twins have 14 HRs and the next lowest number in the AL is 21. Yikes.

#4 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

Only 2 teams in MLB don't have double-digit wins. Both in this mediocre division.

#5 silverslugger

silverslugger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

It sure seems like visiting teams don't have nearly the trouble with hitting home runs at Target Field that the Twins do. Can anyone tell me if my perception equals reality?

#6 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

The article does make a good point about the Twins playing virtually exclusively outside the division. I can never remember a schedule so weird to start a season... I mean who made the Twins 2012 schedule, Satan? The Twins still have 70 intra-divisional games to go, and just 64 against the entire rest of the majors. That's about all I can say to the Twins' defense.

#7 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

It sure seems like visiting teams don't have nearly the trouble with hitting home runs at Target Field that the Twins do. Can anyone tell me if my perception equals reality?

Other teams don't have issues. It's just our hitters.
I bent my wookie...

#8 snepp

snepp

Speediest Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

Presented without comment. (includes reliever innings) 1996 Tigers, ERA+ 80 2012 Twins, ERA+ 72 Ok, one comment. Yuck.

#9 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

Other teams don't have issues. It's just our hitters.

Unless you actually analyze the facts. In that case, they are only a tiny bit closer to their home run hitting in other parks than the Twins are.