Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Diamond released??

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

1500ESPN is reporting that Diamond has been released to make room for May? Anyone else hear this or see this?

#2 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 619 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

Dick and Roy mentioned it on the air tonite.

#3 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

Probably would have been better to just try and DFA him, but he hasn't really shown anything either.

But I'm pleased they are starting to get the wheels rolling.

#4 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:00 PM

Waived or released?

#5 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

It says released.
http://www.1500espn....Rochester071214

#6 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

​Interesting....wonder if there is a promotion for someone in AA on the way too? Maybe Gilmartin?

#7 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

DFA or waivers wouldn't have applied -- he was already removed from the 40-man this spring. This simply opens his roster spot in Rochester.

#8 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

Gilmartin came up to AAA with Pino promotion to majors

#9 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

Gilmartin came up to AAA with Pino promotion to majors

Must've missed that. So basically this allows for May to rejoin the rotation since Gilmartin-Pino-Meyer-Darnell are already there. Makes sense.

#10 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 619 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

The wheels are turning. Deadwood must be trimmed to keep the organism in a state of health.

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:56 PM

About time.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#12 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

I think it's time.

Really thought Meyer should probably have gone to the Futures Games on his own merit originally, and not as a replacement player for May. Don't know if that might be due to that short stretch where he didn't look very sharp, or the powers that be not wanting to pick two SP from one team.

Really thought things were set up perfectly for May to get those couple last starts, appear in the Futures Game, (an honor that really shouldn't go unrecognized despite all the board debates), and then stay up with the Twins. With Meyer now looking very sharp again, and with Nolasco out, there is a real opportunity here still. I wonder if Meyer stays up.

Best of luck to Diamond. Very disappointed things turned out this way. I really thought we found ourselves a nice, solid rotation bargain when he arrived.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#13 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

Remember Diamond was "pencilled-in" as the #1 guy for the 2013 rotation by most posters. Things can change fast.

#14 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

Diamond had only recently returned to the rotation while the it's been in flux. May will actually take Meyer's turn tomorrow, but that still leaves a four-man group of Darnell-Pino-Hamburger-Gilmartin. One of those six (it's going to be May, IMO), will join the Twins' second-half rotation.

#15 stringer bell

stringer bell

Old Guy

• Twins News Team
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:30 PM

I like Diamond. He had a terrific season in 2012, but everything points to his success being smoke and mirrors. I'm pretty sure someone will take a chance on him and maybe everything will click again.

#16 TheBigGuy7273

TheBigGuy7273

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:38 AM

Diamond had only recently returned to the rotation while the it's been in flux. May will actually take Meyer's turn tomorrow, but that still leaves a four-man group of Darnell-Pino-Hamburger-Gilmartin. One of those six (it's going to be May, IMO), will join the Twins' second-half rotation.

That was the sense i got when i read the cleared room for May. Although I believe May will get more then one start in AAA; Johnson will get pounded again before May is brought up. The Rotation for the second half will look something like Hughes, Correria, Gibson, Deduno, and May/Johnson/Pino. Deduno prolly goes back into the rotation until Nolasco is ready to go. To bad for Diamond, But he ended up just like his brother who got a chance with the cubs. Someone will take a flyer on him though.

#17 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

Best of luck to Diamond. He had a really solid 2012 season and he pitched for the Canadian National team if I recall. Not bad for a non drafted kid from Ontario.

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

Thanks, clearly I'm behind on the goings on down there.

#19 Lakeside

Lakeside

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

That was the sense i got when i read the cleared room for May. Although I believe May will get more then one start in AAA; Johnson will get pounded again before May is brought up. The Rotation for the second half will look something like Hughes, Correria, Gibson, Deduno, and May/Johnson/Pino. Deduno prolly goes back into the rotation until Nolasco is ready to go. To bad for Diamond, But he ended up just like his brother who got a chance with the cubs. Someone will take a flyer on him though.

My take for what it's worth is that Correia will be dealt by August 1. His last 10-11 starts he has had an ERA of about 3.30 and a WHIP of less than 1.25 so he has built up some value. He is also sturdy as he has missed very few, if any, starts in his two years with the Twins. Some team will give up something for this type of 4/5 starter the last 60 games down the stretch. Because he will be a free agent and does not fit into the Twins plans post 2014 this is a move the team will make.

Twins starters will soon be Hughes, Gibson, Nolasco (Deduno for now) May, and possibly Johnson/Darnell (or Deduno if Nolasco is healthy). I don't beleive that they will add Meyer to the 40 man until next year.

Rochester starters will be Darnell, Meyer, Hamburger, Pino, and Johnson (once Nolasco is healthy.)

Going North in 2015 we will start with a rotation of Hughes, Gibson, Nolasco, May, and Meyer.

The elephant in the room is Nolasco's injury/arm. If for some reason it is worse than we have been led to beleive and he needs surgery,etc., AND the Twins believe that they can contend in 2015, then they may try to extend Correia for one more year to hold that spot in the rotation.