Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

The next Twins manger

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:34 AM

Feelings about Gardenhire aside, that's been debated ad nauseum, assume for the sake of discussion that he will not be back next year - who would you like to see replace him?

Any names come to mind?

The ideas I have mos commonly seen throw out there are Francona and Brunansky/Carew/Gladden/various other distinguished former Twins. I'm not sure if Francona would be interested, but is he a good fit? Sure, he had success in Boston, but the 2013 Twins are not going to be anything like the 2004 Red Sox.

As far as the 'heroes of yesteryear' crowd, I'd prefer someone with a coaching track record that would suggest they'd be successful as a major league manager. It doesn't have to be MLB managing experience - could be coaching or managing at any level - but there's got to be something more than "they played good for the Twins" on their resume. I'd also prefer someone from outside the organization. There's a feeling of staleness here and it's never a good idea to always promote from within.

I don't know a lot about guys in the coaching ranks who may be deserving of a shot, but I'll throw out one name - Ken Oberkfell.

Fire away!

#2 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:24 AM

They hired him last winter, Gene Glynn. I also think it is very likely Gardenhire will be gone next year. I doubt he will get fired, rather, will resign as his health won't take another 100 loss season.

#3 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:04 AM

In my mind it has to be one of two candidates, both former Twin catchers: Mike Redmond or Matthew LeCroy. Very likable, fan favorites, both pursuing coaching/managing in the minors currently, I believe. The fans would love either of them in charge, and I'm sure the players would too.

#4 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

I'd like to see Bruno's energy, as I understand he's shown it, as well as Gladden, on the big roster. They're guys who have accomplished things in the bigs. Maybe that would rub off on some of these guys. Also, Gladden could be the guy in the dugout/clubhouse to kick rears when needed. But then again, some of the players would probably be rubbed the wrong way. Jack Morris for pitching coach. Manager? Paul Molitor.

#5 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

If we're talking hypotheticals and things that are not all that likely to happen - I would put Ron Washington's name out there - former Twin, different style than the current coaching staff, a successful managing track record... of course, he'd have to want to leave the great situation in Texas or be fired, neither of which I see happening.

Speaking of former Twin Catchers, I was going to suggest Matt Walbeck, because I recall him having a lot of success in the Tigers' and Pirates' minor league systems. But then I looked up his current status and he's been out of pro coaching for a couple years. He was fired from the AA Bucs affiliate and then a single A Braves Affiliate in the middle of the following season, both times for seeming to not follow the team philosophy for developing the players.

No matter what happens, I hope that the Twins figure out a way to let Gardenhire go gracefully when he does leave. Tom Kelly had roughly the same success (but much better playoff results) and was allowed to leave on his own terms after several bad years. I imagine that Gardenhire will be hanging around at Spring Training every year just like TK.

#6 Adman

Adman

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

In my mind it has to be one of two candidates, both former Twin catchers: Mike Redmond or Matthew LeCroy. Very likable, fan favorites, both pursuing coaching/managing in the minors currently, I believe. The fans would love either of them in charge, and I'm sure the players would too.

Is Mike Redmond a serious posibility? Wouldnt he have to spend some time coaching in the minors and what not?? Red dog was my favorite player for few season he was with us. I would absolutely love to see his energy lead the team.

#7 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:44 AM

New manager Redmond, new hitting coach Brunansky, and new pitching coach Cuellar.

#8 benhertz

benhertz

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

Mike Redmond is currently the manager of the Dunedin Blue Jays (Toronto's A+ affiliate). Matthew LeCroy - manager of the Harrisburg Senators (Washington Nationals AA). Denny Hocking - batting coach of the Bowie Baysox (Baltimore Orioles AA). Scott Erickson - pitching coach of the Carolina Mudcats (Cleveland Indians A+). Frank Viola - pitching coach of the Savannah Sand Gnats (NY Mets A-). Jacque Jones - batting coach of the Fort Wayne TinCaps (San Diego A-). Doug Mientkiewicz - batting coach of the Ogden Raptors (LA Dodgers advanced rookie). _ _ Chili Davis - Oakland A's batting coach. Chip Hale - Oakland A's bench coach.

Edited by benhertz, 08 May 2012 - 08:49 AM.
Added a few more former Twins

#9 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 825 posts

Is Mike Redmond a serious posibility? Wouldnt he have to spend some time coaching in the minors and what not?? Red dog was my favorite player for few season he was with us. I would absolutely love to see his energy lead the team.

Wouldn't have to spend some time coaching.

Robin Ventura, CHISOX coach, has zero managing experience until now.

Edited by Mr. Ed, 08 May 2012 - 07:54 AM.

#10 rk83071

rk83071

• Members
  • 12 posts

Without a doubt Mike Redmond.

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

I have been a huge supporter of Cuellar as the pitching coach for years based on his track record with Santana, Martinez and Randy Johnson and the praise he got from those 3, among others. I heart a log of good things about Brunansky and he might be alright. I just think that the last thing the organization needs to do, is to look from within. They need to go outside the organization to hire a manager. Have no problems with Brunansky because he was with the organization when they won and then has been outside for a while. I think that Carew could have worked out about 25 years ago. The man is old. I also think that the new manager should have some fire and energy. I've always thought that Wally Backman would be a great manager for the Twins.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#12 SirLoin

SirLoin

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

Hey Everyone -

I wrote a blog about this very topic last week. Check it out....

http://twinsdaily.co...ure-Speculation

#13 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

I'm a fan of Gardenhire and Vavra, but I'm good with how this question/forum/discussion is framed. First and foremost, I think we have all learned that big name former major leaguers rarely have success as a manager or coach. Molitor and Carew both proved to be pretty poor hitting coaches. Terry Francona was perfect for the Red Sox. Laid back and stands behind his players very well. He's very much similar to Gardy. But, remember, he was not well thought of when he managed in Philly. I'm definitely not a fan of retread managers. I loved the White Sox decision to go with a life-long baseball guy like Robin Ventura despite zero managing experience over one of the guys who's been managing forever. I do like the idea of Mike Redmond. I don't mind Cuellar. He worked with the three that Thrylos mentioned... right place, right time, talented pitchers... but it's not like he has helped a lot of Twins pitchers reach super-stardom, other than Santana. Just like Rick Anderson has had this reputation as being a guy who has helped turn pitchers careers around... last time I remember him doing that was with LaTroy Hawkins. Brunansky is certainly the name as hitting coach. He got a lot of credit last year for helping Benson, Parmelee and Dozier... How is that Rochester offense doing so far this year?? Not so good. so, it all comes back to how much affect coaches really have. I'd be good with Redmond at manager, if the Blue Jays let him go, which I can't imagine they wouldn't. He would then get to pick his staff, presumably with the help of Rantz, Ryan, etc.

#14 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

I also think that the new manager should have some fire and energy. I've always thought that Wally Backman would be a great manager for the Twins.

Wally Backman is a lunatic and Gardenhire has been ejected from 62 games, fire and energy? Like what,pacing up and down the dugout screaming? Throwing bats? What?

Edited by twinsnorth49, 08 May 2012 - 09:49 AM.

#15 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

I'm guessing the next manager will be Jake Mauer - they're grooming him, and he's very popular with the players he has managed. Bruno will be the next hitting coach. Molitor has no interest except as a roving instructor. Redmond will be back, probably taking over as bullpen coach for Stelly when he retires. Everyday Eddie is itching to get back into baseball, down the line maybe pitching coach? When Torii retires he might be willing to come in as a base coach. And for a bit of experience as bench coach Don Baylor.

#16 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

Oh and as Bert's replacement in the press box - Michael Cuddyer.

#17 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

Terry Francona, hands down. Worlds better than Gardenhire. Molitor would be cool, but he's better suited to teach, not manage. As for a new hitting coach, there are lots of good ones out there. I loved Mike Redmond's simple, flat swing and resulting .299 average and line drives to the gaps. Could he teach some of the boys in Rochester to hit like that, say, Drew Butera? Don't try to lift it or hit down on it; just hit it flat and hard. Molitor got Span to do that, but I'm not sure his quick-swing dojo is right for everybody. At the major league level, Chili Davis would be my choice. Perfect batting stance, and he could do it all as a hitter: power, average, versatility. I would love to teach every kid player to have a stance and a swing like Chili Davis. Just wear a pad over your front foot. He beat up that foot pretty bad with foul tips.

Edited by jimbo92107, 08 May 2012 - 10:02 AM.

#18 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

Wally Backman is a lunatic and Gardenhire has been ejected from 62 games, fire and energy? Like what,pacing up and down the dugout screaming? Throwing bats? What?

yeah, definitely not Wally Backman!!

#19 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 6,821 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

I'm guessing the next manager will be Jake Mauer - they're grooming him, and he's very popular with the players he has managed. Bruno will be the next hitting coach. Molitor has no interest except as a roving instructor. Redmond will be back, probably taking over as bullpen coach for Stelly when he retires. Everyday Eddie is itching to get back into baseball, down the line maybe pitching coach? When Torii retires he might be willing to come in as a base coach. And for a bit of experience as bench coach Don Baylor.

Why would Mike Redmond want to be a bullpen coach? He's a legitimate major league managing "prospect." So is Jake Mauer. I definitely think people need to stop thinking that coaches/managers HAVE TO BE former big league players. Torii Hunter as a coach, that's scary.

My biggest thing with whoever the next manager and coaches are is that they need to be good teachers and communicators, first and foremost. They'll need to be patient. They'll need calm.

#20 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

I wonder how Jake Mauer would do if he became manager while Joe was still playing. Would it cause conflicts? Would he keep the job for more than one game before people started screaming about giving his brother special treatment. I'd love to see Redmond come in, not nesc as Manager but at least as a coach. He could get the guys fired up, chew out the newbies and vets when they needed it. He and Gardy might not be a bad team actually, they could play good cop, bad naked cop. As far as hitting and pitching coaches, I don't know that being a big name would be that big a deal, as much as just having guys who can push our guys to stick to the plans and execute them. I keep thinking about the the movie Major League. Do a little coaching like that. Every time Revere or Casilla hits a weak fly ball, Danny V looks at a called third strike, Mauer hits into a double play, etc, 20 pushups in front of the dugout. Every time our Starter gets knocked out before the fifth inning, make him run a lap around the warning track while the relief guy is warming up. Anytime a save is blown make the pitcher stay behind and clean the dug out after the game. Infield missing routine plays? They get to rake the infield. Outfield fucks up? Get them on a mower. I don't need or WANT my manager publicly dumping on guys. I want him dealing with players ready to play, who know their roles. Let the coaching staff be the drill sergeants. If they just need a little confidence boost, utilize Molitor and other guys who are interested in being "roving instructors/mentors". Also, hire a spanish speaking therapist/hypnotist.

#21 puck34

puck34

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

I would go after either John McGraw or Casey Stengel. McGraw loved the small ball style and I think he's available if the price is right.

#22 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

I would go after either John McGraw or Casey Stengel. McGraw loved the small ball style and I think he's available if the price is right.

I was a kid when Casey managed the 62 Mets--he would fit in well with this team--and would screw up names in a funny way--at least the Twins dont have two pitcher named Bob Miller (one lefty and one righty)...

Seriously, No to Jake Mauer until Joe is gone. Yes to Brunansky and Cuellar as coaches. I think Ryan has to go outside the Twins organization for mgr. My first choice would be Ron Washington but he wont come. My second choice would be LaRussa but owners wont pay him enough. So third choice Manny Acta.

#23 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

If--and it's a big if--a manager change occurs the last thing I want to see is any former Twin who is brought in simply because casual fans will recognize his name. Someone from outside the organization please who is at least conversant in modern baseball thought. I think the more important question is "who's the next GM" anyway. My thoughts on that are the same. Someone from outside the org, young, aggressive and able to at least evaluate in modern terms.

#24 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

If--and it's a big if--a manager change occurs the last thing I want to see is any former Twin who is brought in simply because casual fans will recognize his name. Someone from outside the organization please who is at least conversant in modern baseball thought.

I think the more important question is "who's the next GM" anyway. My thoughts on that are the same. Someone from outside the org, young, aggressive and able to at least evaluate in modern terms.

Do you remember what happened to the Twins last time they got a young agressive GM from outside the organization who hired a young aggressive manager? (Good things happened, even though the Sam Mele era was pretty nice too)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#25 deanlambrecht

deanlambrecht

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

I'm a fan of Gardenhire and Vavra, but I'm good with how this question/forum/discussion is framed.

Seth, can you say a bit about why you're a fan of Vavra? (I've got no real beef with Gardy). I think Vavra's been an absolute disaster, and that we've been lucky enough to get by on natural talent alone. Interested in your analysis on Vavra.

#26 deanlambrecht

deanlambrecht

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

. . . I heart a log. . .

Quoting that typo just because it's funny. :D

#27 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

I think Gene Glynn would make a great manager. I'd love if Doug Mientciewitz (Men-kay-vidge, I can say it not spell it) would somehow rejoin the organization as a coach or manager as well.

#28 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

Do you remember what happened to the Twins last time they got a young agressive GM from outside the organization who hired a young aggressive manager? (Good things happened, even though the Sam Mele era was pretty nice too)

The nostalgia goggles you get today are crap; they were so much better back in my day.Attached File  NostalgiaGoggles.jpg   16.56KB   5 downloads

#29 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

I don't care or have any wild guesses who the new manager should be. My only hope is that it is somebody from OUTSIDE the organization. New blood is needed!!! The same goes for Terry Ryan and find somebody with some talent fast before they screw up the #2 pick in the upcoming draft.

#30 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:51 PM

Quoting that typo just because it's funny. :D

Speaking of typos... . Reading the title of this thread had inexplicably led me on this path following this really bright star in the sky. I wa carrying Myrrh with me. Found this cheaply constructed building out back and inside was Joe Mauer.