Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Sano Rehab Program

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

For those who were getting excited about the possibilities of Sano this year, here's the plan:

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

100% in favor of this decision. Conservative with top prospect always wise!!!

#3 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

I'm actually kind of surprised by this. He's a special talent, so by all means do whatever is necessary to bring him back to full health and confidence, even if that means a slower than wished for rehab. I just thought for sure he'd get some late season game action as a DH solely, just to get some timing back and game experience.

Let's assume the rehab goes as planned, everything is fine, there are no set backs that could slow his progress. And while there may be rust, and full strength in his very strong arm may take a little while to return 100%, where does he target to open next season?

Personally, while the results and overall play and production were very positive at New Britain last season, I don't think we can say he mastered the level yet. I know BA alone isn't a sole qualifier by itself, and he didn't have a healthy ST to show how ready he might have been to try out AAA, but I was initially expecting a return to AA for a month or so before promotion. Even with a strong rehab, with time missed, does he now begin 2015 at Ft Myers? Does he drop all the way to CR to work on timing for a few weeks, then FTM, before a mid-ish season promotion again? Purely speculation at this point, of course.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#4 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

Let's assume the rehab goes as planned, everything is fine, there are no set backs that could slow his progress. And while there may be rust, and full strength in his very strong arm may take a little while to return 100%, where does he target to open next season?

i'm also thinking NB but I suppose it depends a bit on whether he plays in the Dominican Winter League and how he does. If that's a disaster, I could see them starting him out at FM (doubt they'd send him back to CR).

I don't think we'll know until we see how he comes out of this.

#5 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,908 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

I would be very surprised if he didn't start back in NB.

He will be in a "controlled" environment but he should still see plenty of live pitching, and assuming all is well they'll give him some winter ball reps. This timetable still makes a June-ish call up possible.
Papers...business papers.

#6 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

Well, just when you get your hopes up that next year will be better.
Lighten up Francis....

#7 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

Well, just when you get your hopes up that next year will be better.

It was well known that Sano wont be in a Twins uniform until late 2015 at the earliest. He was only at double AA for half of last year and his fielding has to improve along with his contact.

#8 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

I can see him starting next April in Fort Myers because of the weather. Once the weather warms up he moves up. or he could go to New Britain.

#9 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

Question. What has Sano been doing to keep himself busy? Seems like with a bum throwing arm, he should still be able to field a boat load of grounders and work that fielding.

#10 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

It was well known that Sano wont be in a Twins uniform until late 2015 at the earliest. He was only at double AA for half of last year and his fielding has to improve along with his contact.

by by whom was this known?
Lighten up Francis....