Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Perkins & Suzuki named All Stars

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

Glen Perkins and Kurt Suzuki are the Minnesota Twins representatives in next week's All Star game at Target Field.

It is the second time the Perkins has been named to the team. Last year, he did not pitch. This will be Suzuki's first All Star appearance.

#2 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,500 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

Congrats to Perk and Suzuki!

And welcome back to Neshek and Gomez.

#3 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

so I guess Dozier didn't make it.?

#4 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

Glen Perkins and Kurt Suzuki are the Minnesota Twins representatives in next week's All Star game at Target Field.

It is the second time the Perkins has been named to the team. Last year, he did not pitch. This will be Suzuki's first All Star appearance.

Be a nice touch if Perkins closed it out with Suzuki behind the plate.

#5 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,500 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

No, Dozier didn't make it.

Here's hoping that in a few years Nick Gordon joins big brother Dee and Dad Flash as All Stars.

#6 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,223 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

Not really surprising to me that Perk and Suzuki would be there. Congrats to them both.

#7 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,500 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

#8 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

I am happy for Suzuki and Perkins. I do not feel like the Twins should have had an all-star representative this season. I hate the every team rule and I do not believe Suzuki or Perkins is deserving. Dozier is more deserving, even with the low BA, his OBP, HR, SB, and R carries him through.

Edited by Bark's Lounge, 06 July 2014 - 06:09 PM.

#9 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

I think Perk has been pretty good, as has Suzuki. I think Suzuki's inclusion is as much an indictment on catching in the AL as anything.

#10 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

Go Morneau!!!

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

Congrats to both Perkins and Suzuki. This really helps their trade value. Great news for the Twins.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#12 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

Congrats to both Perkins and Suzuki. This really helps their trade value. Great news for the Twins.

I have a hard time believing that being voted to an All-Star game increases your value. It changes nothing. I'd have a unpleasant time envisioning a GM getting excited because a pitcher or position player was voted to the All-Star game. It's all about what a player can execute. The All-Star game comes sometimes with a bit of luck and circumstance. Almost every year it comes with folly.

#13 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,805 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

Congrats to them both.
Lighten up Francis....

#14 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

I think Perk has been pretty good, as has Suzuki. I think Suzuki's inclusion is as much an indictment on catching in the AL as anything.

I think the inclusion of Weiters is a pretty damning indictment too....

#15 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

Happy for the all-stars.

Disappointed that Dozier didn't make it, as he is certainly deserving. Let's hope he's at least as good next year.

#16 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:11 PM

I have a hard time believing that being voted to an All-Star game increases your value. It changes nothing. I'd have a unpleasant time envisioning a GM getting excited because a pitcher or position player was voted to the All-Star game. It's all about what a player can execute. The All-Star game comes sometimes with a bit of luck and circumstance. Almost every year it comes with folly.

It may help a little.

While it won't change their value to winning games. It may change the perception of the value to their fan base. They need to sell any deal to their fan base. They want to generate some excitement and in turn bring in more fans to the game. In turn, maybe the GM gives up just a little bit more. Maybe it's enough to be willing to give up more for Suzuki than Pierzynski.

For Suzuki, the Twins need to get the Orioles and Blue Jays in bidding war. The Dodgers also need a catcher, but I think they might pay more attention to the defensive part of the catching game.

Congratulations to Kurt and Glen. You represent Minnesota well.

#17 stringer bell

stringer bell

Old Guy

• Twins News Team
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

Both closer and catcher have had few standouts in the first half. Perk has been good, not great. Suzuki has been a capable hitter and done a good job with the pitchers.

Two guys over thirty make the All-Star team, yeah I'm pumped. Not.

#18 RonCoomer

RonCoomer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

Also, I think Dozier probably should've gotten it over Suzuki, but they're both deserving.

#19 stringer bell

stringer bell

Old Guy

• Twins News Team
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

Dozier is a better player and I predict he'll have a better second have than Kurt Klutch. That said, there are four quality second basemen who deserved consideration besides Dozier. There wasn't that much depth at catcher. Looking at TD's trade threads, it is ironic that two of the top five or six candidates are the guys the Twins have representing them at their home All-Star game.

#20 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:43 PM

Suzuki is a solid pick. 3rd among catchers in WAR, 1st in avg, 4th in OPS. 3 catchers are on the team - I assume Norris and Perez are the other two but I admit to being too lazy to look it up.

#21 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:57 PM

I can't believe the A.L. team isn't carrying 13 pitchers. :)

#22 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:23 AM

Unhappy about Dozier's snub. Unfortunate. Zuke and Perkins deserved it though, hard to argue there. Maybe someone will drop out last minute. Voted for Morneau... would love it if he made it back home for the game...

#23 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,488 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:41 AM

Kinsler didn't make the ASG?

What. The. Hell.

Fan voting needs to stop. It's embarrassing. I was upset that Dozier didn't make it until I realized that Kinsler didn't make it, either.

What. The. Hell.

#24 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,500 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:06 AM

I wanted to see Dozier make the AS team but I don't see his non-selection as a snub. There were just a lot of players who were worthy at 2nd base. You do have to consider position.

The AL has a group of really good 2B men right now. Enjoy their play and hope it continues and we get to see a different set of them next year.

(But fan voting is unfortunate in that it allows certain markets to dominate player selection. That being said, I'm off to vote Morneau a few more times.)

Edit: One other thing. We've gotten to see a lot of nice national articles about Dozier -- the season he was having and whether he should be selected. That has value in building him up for future years.

#25 stringer bell

stringer bell

Old Guy

• Twins News Team
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

Pedroia didn't make it either (big rep, less than stellar stats this year). With the AL only bringing two 2B, I'm not putting Dozier in the "snub" category. I don't have much problem with fan voting, especially since it is backed up by a players' vote. Sure, Jeter didn't perform well enough to be an All-Star this year, but he's a first ballot HoFer with no black marks against him. I think I saw that Encarnacion of the Blue Jays would miss the game, and it wouldn't surprise me if there are as many as a half dozen more that were elected or selected that will miss the game.

#26 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,919 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

Kinsler didn't make the ASG?

What. The. Hell.

Fan voting needs to stop. It's embarrassing. I was upset that Dozier didn't make it until I realized that Kinsler didn't make it, either.

What. The. Hell.

Don't even look at 2B in the NL then. There are 5-6 guys better than all three that made it from that league.

#27 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,805 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

Not to mention I think the NL has 5 RPs.......and is missing several great starters.
Lighten up Francis....

#28 Fatt Crapps

Fatt Crapps

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

I have a hard time believing that being voted to an All-Star game increases your value. It changes nothing.

Attached File  Matt.Capps.jpg   14.02KB   43 downloads

#29 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

Awesome that Perkins gets to pitch in front of his home town and just as awesome that a guy like Suzuki gets a deserving nod, chances are he won't get another all star appearance so it's a cool story that he will get to soak this all in. Give that to me over a guy just "showing up and going through the motions" year after year.

Lot of first time guys.

Hopefully Morneau makes it as well, that standing ovation would be awesome and well deserved.

#30 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8135[/ATTACH]

touché.