Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Joe Mauer is getting old?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KOHG

KOHG

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

This thread isn't about Joe not hitting home runs or 23 million etc..I have heard everything under the sun regarding his down year. What I haven't heard and what I might expect is that he is getting old fast. Has his bat really slowed down that much? He is missing pitches that I don't think I have ever seen Joe miss. Is their evidence that can prove this? Bat speed? Strikeout rate on specific pitch location that he normally hasn't had in previous years? etc

Edited by KOHG, 01 July 2014 - 11:20 PM.

#2 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

His contact percentage is down to mid 80's compared to high 80's and low 90's during his really good years. So his bat speed probably isnt what it once was. But thats not the problem, even though hes striking out a bit more.

I think his fly ball percentage (19%!!) is worrisome. Unless he starts hit some more flyballs compared to grounders, he will have a hard time hitting double digit homeruns. I dont have batted ball distance but it would be interesting to see how it compares to his average. I'm guessing its dipped as well.

#3 KOHG

KOHG

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

I guess back problems are also an indication? Hopefully its not serious.

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:13 PM

He's getting older every day, but then again, so are we. He's in his 30s now, so an occasional down season isn't unusual. I'm just hoping he can have a bit of a bounce next year.

#5 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

I think age is a factor, but I think there are so many factors this year -- the concussion, the back, the new position, the pressure of the home all-star game, fickleness of baseball luck, that I think it is hard to pin point a dominant factor. It is too bad about the oblique has been a lot more consistent the last three of four series -- hopefully this won't be a significant step backwards. Hopefully this time next year we will be talking about 2014 as a down-year and not part of a trend.

#6 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

No, Joe's not getting old. I am. Over twice as many birthdays as Joe. He's not 100% this year though. More concussion related than anything else is my bet.