Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/30): Max Effort

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...-30)-Max-Effort

#2 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:57 PM

I really hope there is nothing wrong with Roberts. If he had already had one full injury-free year in the last few, he would potentially be in the Twins OF right now. Injury free and he would have been a top 10 prospect.

#3 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

While I love Roberts as a prospect, I think projecting him as a top-10 kind of guy is a little ambitious. He is the anti-ABWII in that he has never been 'young' for the league and almost ALL of his value is tied up in a skill that will not necessarily translate at the MLB level. In addition, he brings even less defensive value than ABWII, and has played DH for over half of his games each year.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as ripping Roberts, and set of a firestorm of controversy, because I am definitely rooting for Nate. I guess I should add that these thoughts are for MY top-10 list (and what I would guess for a BA-type list), but Nate Roberts could obviously be top-10 on your list.

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:47 AM

Interesting title to the thread. I hope that Murphy's effort is now without question as he could be a steal in the 9th round. This is what Jim Callis had to say about him predraft:

"The problem guys have with him is that he plays beneath the tools a little bit. People don't love the approach and wonder about the bat. But he has the tools to do some things."

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

I agree, T Rex. Roberts is far from a Top 10 guy, but his on-base skills are terrific. However, he's not fast (and 2+ knee surgeries later, even less so). He's not good in the outfield and doesn't have a good arm. And, frankly, he gets hit by so many pitches, and I don't know if that fraction of the OBP is something that can or would just continue as he moves up.

That said, he's a terrific top of order guy.

#6 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

Seth, surely you jest concerning Roberts. Great top of the order guy to be sure but at what low rung classification, certainly not at the MLB level. Why is a player of his low potential even being discussed anyway? Let's talk about real prospects here please not suspects.

#7 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,035 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

This is the only reason people talk about Roberts.

And by "only" I mean "besides his mustache" (also pictured twice in the link).

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:24 AM

Seth, surely you jest concerning Roberts. Great top of the order guy to be sure but at what low rung classification, certainly not at the MLB level. Why is a player of his low potential even being discussed anyway? Let's talk about real prospects here please not suspects.

Because we discuss everybody here, not just the perceived top prospects.

#9 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

How do the majority of posters think about who and who should not be discussed in terms of "prospects"? I'd like to see some sort of consensus on this topic.

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

A concensus? There's not a concensus about anything around here. Even if you mean to say majority and not concensus, would that mean that the hypothetical populist opinion should prohibit the rest of from from hearing about the non-top prospects?

Even if you got people to agree with you, who sits on the committee to determine the "prospect" cut off line? Do we only talk about Buxton and Sano? If we did, this thread would be done while they rehab. The top ten prospects? We wouldn't be talking about Trevor May then. Top 20? We couldn't talk about Kennys Vargas. What about the draft picks? Can they even be ranked? No need to discuss Gordon, Burdi or Cederoth I guess.

This is one of the most popular threads. If you don't like reading about the human interst stuff about the guys who likely will never get a chance to play at the MLB level, you could probably just type Buxton, Sano, Meyer, Stewart, Rosario and Barrios into your browser's "find on this page" search tool and skip to the good parts.

Edited by nicksaviking, 02 July 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#11 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,035 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

How do the majority of posters think about who and who should not be discussed in terms of "prospects"? I'd like to see some sort of consensus on this topic.

I talked to someone within the organization about something similar to this. What he said to me was something like this:

"Everybody's a prospect. It's easy to look at a guy and said, 'He can't do this. He can't do that'. We don't do that. We want to see what the guys do well and figure out how that can help the organization."

Now granted, for a lot of guys what they can do is spend their time in AA (or high-A) or wherever and move up or down a level as needed. Organizational-type guys.

I think I get what you're looking for... some sort of grading system that would place a guy in a group: Potential All-Star, Potential Starter, Backup-type, AAAA, Organization-filler.... or something like that.

I'd be curious if someone wanted to go through the organization and rate the players. That's just not something I have time for...

As far as the minor-league reports go, you'll continue to get to read about everybody (and I don't think you have an issue with that), we like to give guys the recognition for something they don't get a lot of recognition doing.

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

Fair enough... what do people think? Options:

1.) The rule would be the we can write about and comment about anyone we want, anyone in the Twins system.
2.) The rule would be that we can only write about and discuss the top 10 or 15 or (certain number) prospects?

Vote away...

#13 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

Giving some thoughtful consideration to my vote.

On the one hand, I enjoy reading about all the minor leaguers regardless of prospect status because they are hard working young men and each have a story behind them I enjoy finding out about.

On the other hand, if we limit things to the top 15 or so prospects, I can just file 2-3 Kernels stories per season instead of writing something every week. Less work for me.

Edit: At exactly the same pay, I might add!

Edited by SD Buhr, 02 July 2014 - 04:03 PM.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#14 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

Fair enough... what do people think? Options:

1.) The rule would be the we can write about and comment about anyone we want, anyone in the Twins system.
2.) The rule would be that we can only write about and discuss the top 10 or 15 or (certain number) prospects?

Vote away...

This is your site Seth :)

That said, I may not personally be too interested in Nate Roberts, but I like reading about these guys. If you are talking about someone I don't care about, I just skip it.... Not too hard, but guys like Roberts can suddenly click on something and become decent players. Dozier was a great example of that a few years back.

There should be no rule limiting who we talk about. This forum would be a lot less populated if we did.

#15 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,035 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

...and we definitely wouldn't have been talking about Josmil Pinto, well... ever.

#16 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

Talk about whomever you want.....if people want to know about one person, they can to to the adopt a prospect pages, or to milb.com or whatever.

That said, I would like more updates on "key" prospects every day....so, everyday, I'd like to know how Rosario or Pinto did, for example, in these writeups.

that said, that's just what I want, others may not, and the authors aren't exactly compensated for this work, so they should do what they want.
Lighten up Francis....

#17 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

It's Twins Minor League Talk, not Twins Prospect Talk.
I think that is an important distinction. I like reading about how the guys on the farm did, even when it's guys that will never contribute to the big club.

#18 Celebrity Weddings!

Celebrity Weddings!

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

I'm not sure what resource we're exhausting talking about Nate Roberts. There is no "instead" in play when it comes to idle baseball chitchat.

#19 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

That said, I would like more updates on "key" prospects every day....so, everyday, I'd like to know how Rosario or Pinto did, for example, in these writeups.

I kind of felt the same way, but since the link to the box scores have been included, if I'm curious about someone not mentioned specifically, some basic stats about his performance in the game are available. That's been very helpful, I feel.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~