Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

You wanted Trevor May? You can't have Trevor May...(yet)!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
71 replies to this topic

#1 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:22 PM

Chris Fee@CJFee 2m
Trevor May to the DL with a right calf strain. Retroactive to 6/26.

Unbelievable.

#2 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

When it rains it pours

#3 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Elizabethton (with Chief)

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:28 PM

I guess the futures game will have to wait til next year.

#4 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

He'll be eligible to come off the DL by the Future's Game. It's not as if his arm fell off, hopefully it's a short term thing.

#5 Trautmann13

Trautmann13

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

what did we do to deserve all these punishments? We didn't hurt anyone!

#6 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

It's a calf strain, not the end of the world. He'll be pitching again shortly.

#7 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:53 PM

It's a calf strain, not the end of the world. He'll be pitching again shortly.

Pretty sure I heard this when Buxton got hurt.......in March.

#8 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

<pounds head against the wall repeatedly and moans>

"Why? Why in the name of Babe Ruth, why?"

This is beats me to a thread I wanted to start about the timing of May's eventual promotion. Even had a title! Speculation as to another roster shuffle the next week or so, or just stay in Minnesota after the futures game.

<crumples imaginary piece of paper and tosses it in imaginary trash head. Sighs...and rubs aching head>

Yes, at least is SOUNDS like it SHOULD be a minor injury and setback only. Perhaps the after the Futures Game scenario still applies, but I'm guessing not. Even if ready by then, surely he'd only pitch an inning or two before going back to Rochester and stretching out a bit more after the layoff.

First of August maybe?

Seriously, between the parent club and injuries to top and solid prospects throughout the chain, where does it end? We're the nice, friendly organization who thinks they can. What did we do to deserve this? There are two old expressions that apply here: "It's always darkest right before the dawn," and, "It's always darkest right before it turns totally $&@?*#% black". Sooooo hoping for the former to be true.

#9 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:38 PM

Calm down everyone. I talked to a PWDK of the injury, it's very minor (if it's even anything at all). I think the Twins just want to manage his innings and get him lined up to be ready to pitch in the Futures Game (on the 13th). He's eligible to come off (and pitch) on 7/3 and pitch again on 7/8. That puts him on full-rest at Target Field.

There is no concern that Trevor May won't be able to pitch on 7/13. Not even a little bit.

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

Calm down everyone. I talked to a PWDK of the injury, it's very minor

(if it's even anything at all).

I think the Twins just want to manage his innings and get him lined up to be ready to pitch in the Futures Game (on the 13th). He's eligible to come off (and pitch) on 7/3 and pitch again on 7/8. That puts him on full-rest at Target Field.

There is no concern that Trevor May won't be able to pitch on 7/13. Not even a little bit.

So the Futures Game is more of a concern to the Twins than May pitching in place of Pino on Monday, or next Saturday, or July 10. (At more than one point in time on TD, there was scoffing and scolding on this site when it was suggested that the Twins might withhold May until after the Futures Game).

Edited by jokin, 28 June 2014 - 09:54 PM.

#11 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:25 PM

<picking up bucket of KFC AND Popeyes tomorrow just in case>

and if you don't get that.......shame on you! Lol

#12 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,059 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:32 PM

Every year guys go on the "phantom" DL. I think it's important to both the Twins and May that he pitches in the Futures Game. Pino or Deduno will make those starts - and Pino deserved the promotion. He's had one ok outing and one not so good outing. Is that all the leash he gets? I'd hope when May gets the call, he's given more than a two-game leash.

May has pitched a lot of innings over the last 12 months and letting him take a 10-day break before gearing up for the Futures Game and a promotion is perfectly fine by me.

Plus, pitching in that game would be a good tune-up for the real bright lights.

Edited by Jeremy Nygaard, 28 June 2014 - 10:34 PM.

#13 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:41 PM

Every year guys go on the "phantom" DL. I think it's important to both the Twins and May that he pitches in the Futures Game. Pino or Deduno will make those starts - and Pino deserved the promotion. He's had one ok outing and one not so good outing. Is that all the leash he gets? I'd hope when May gets the call, he's given more than a two-game leash.

May has pitched a lot of innings over the last 12 months and letting him take a 10-day break before gearing up for the Futures Game and a promotion is perfectly fine by me.

Plus, pitching in that game would be a good tune-up for the real bright lights.

As far as the Futures Game goes....The Cardinals didn't see the need for a tune-up for Marco Gonzalez, coming up from AA. The Red Sox didn't see the need for a tune-up for Mookie Betts.

May is now the second oldest player on either team in the Futures Game. He is likely to pitch one inning in that game- I'll need to be educated on the importance of that one inning other than financial considerations. It's hard to grasp any other reason for how the best performing, in 2014, long-term legitimate prospect on the Twins was given short-shrift versus not one, but two, non-prospect journeyman arms, and one, lesser prospect....except that there are obviously "other considerations" involved...

Lest we forget, there were reasons on all three teams- Twins Cards, Red Sox, for the best prospects to come up to meet specific needs, for at least a tryout....the Twins "other considerations", as it turned out, were of such a different nature, that the Cards and Red Sox decided not to consider them.

Edited by jokin, 28 June 2014 - 11:45 PM.

#14 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:01 AM

<picking up bucket of KFC AND Popeyes tomorrow just in case>

and if you don't get that.......shame on you! Lol

Major league?

#15 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:33 AM

As far as the Futures Game goes....The Cardinals didn't see the need for a tune-up for Marco Gonzalez, coming up from AA. The Red Sox didn't see the need for a tune-up for Mookie Betts.

May is now the second oldest player on either team in the Futures Game. He is likely to pitch one inning in that game- I'll need to be educated on the importance of that one inning other than financial considerations. It's hard to grasp any other reason for how the best performing, in 2014, long-term legitimate prospect on the Twins was given short-shrift versus not one, but two, non-prospect journeyman arms, and one, lesser prospect....except that there are obviously "other considerations" involved...

Lest we forget, there were reasons on all three teams- Twins Cards, Red Sox, for the best prospects to come up to meet specific needs, for at least a tryout....the Twins "other considerations", as it turned out, were of such a different nature, that the Cards and Red Sox decided not to consider them.

Comparing Betts to Trevor May is like what?????????????????? Betts has a top 100 prospect ranking, May no longer does. Betts was among the better hitters, May is only elite in strikeouts, otherwise comes off as work in progress.
Gonzales, the next few starts need to have a lot better outcome or the Twin Gonzales should be compared to is Hicks, not May. I can understand why St Louis promoted Gonzales. Their next best option to fill the hole in their rotation was to trade for Correia.

An A for originality on this take. Sort of like comparing watermelons and apples.

Edited by old nurse, 29 June 2014 - 05:36 AM.

#16 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,059 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:39 AM

Here's what I know: the calf injury isn't serious.

The rest is just my opinions. I don't understand why "financial considerations" would have anything to do with it. The Twins kept Gibson down way longer than anyone believed he needed and then was terrible. I'm not going to freak out about May because it's not worth it, plus I'd like to see him at Target Field in the Futures Game. And I think he's promoted after. All my opinions though.

#17 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:53 AM

yeah, I'm with Jeremy. I think this is a lot of worry over nothing.

#18 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:47 AM

Here's what I know: the calf injury isn't serious.

The rest is just my opinions. I don't understand why "financial considerations" would have anything to do with it. The Twins kept Gibson down way longer than anyone believed he needed and then was terrible. I'm not going to freak out about May because it's not worth it, plus I'd like to see him at Target Field in the Futures Game. And I think he's promoted after. All my opinions though.

I don't detect anyone on here "freaking out". Instead, just "pointing out" that that's not how other teams do it. A big deal was made by Terry Ryan a few weeks ago, in his "why not us?" comment in regards to the Morales signing. Since then, the team has done practically nothing to follow up with that aggressive move- and their moves of late have been down-right head-scratching.

Sure, we'd all like to see him pitch his one inning in the Futures Game. But.....I would have liked to have seen him start his career at home on June 19 against the White Sox for 7 innings. As great as the Pino story was that night, a team that's in it to win it brings up their best chances for doing just that.

We tend to revisit old history on TD and are quick to point out Gibson being terrible in 2013- and not noting that his post-TJ arm strength was likely tapped out by the time he got the call. Of course, this oversimplified bromide also leaves out the basic fact that, that very spell of terrible-ness is instrumental in many, if not most, prospects, in becoming competent and productive major leaguers. Will May be an immediate impact player or struggle as Gibson did? There's but one way to find out, and calling up May in this situation is actually a win-win proposition long-term, for both May and the Twins.

#19 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:52 AM

As long as the injury is as minor as it sounds, it's nothing to worry about. May will be up fairly soon but I don't mind Pino getting a couple more starts. He's paid his dues and I think he could play the long guy/spot starter role better than Deduno in the long term anyway.

#20 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:09 AM

As long as the injury is as minor as it sounds, it's nothing to worry about. May will be up fairly soon but I don't mind Pino getting a couple more starts. He's paid his dues and I think he could play the long guy/spot starter role better than Deduno in the long term anyway.

Both Deduno and Pino are 30+ journeyman with sketchy histories, and with very fringy potential for long-term success. There's a reason that Pino has toiled at AA and AAA over 8 different seasons and 5 different clubs (the Twins twice) without getting a call-up. They both are at times effective and other times erratic...and seem best-suited to offer depth at the end of the bullpen and starting pitcher options for the Twins, as well as pitching at AAA.

#21 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:49 AM

Your metaphorical conclusion is devoid of any evidence or common sense to support it...and 18, count them, eighteen ?s doesn't make your case any stronger. May's prospect ranking is entirely irrelevant to the case being made...and if anything, it is a direct argument AGAINST having May in the Futures Game at all. All prospects, Betts as well, are a work in progress to some degree, it's what they potentially offer to the team in the short-run and long-run that counts. And there is but one way to find out if they can do so.

Betts, right now is the best prospect to fill the need in Boston. Gonzalez, the best prospect to fill the need in St Louis. May, the best prospect to fill the need in Minnesota.

If you want to start a pitcher based on best pitching prospect, the best pitching prospect in the organization would not be May. If you wanted to base it on who was pitching best in AAA, that would be debatable as to who was better. May did not stand out above all others.
St Louis has 4 starters on the dl. Lucky for them it wasn't their top 4. It fills a need to call up Gonzales, but with no quality in AAA or AA for the season thus far. They had to try Gonzales. About the closest thing I could compare the situation in St Louis to Minnesota is in 2011 if they would have promoted Hendriks because he was pitching well in AA that year. They are similar in that they are soft tossing control pitchers. I don't think it was a good idea to call up Gonzales. His call up was based on a desperate need in an organization that found their depth in major league starting pitchers was only 9 deep.

#22 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:19 AM

I won't comment on the injury, but...I hope the Twins aren't making decisions based on May pitching in the futures game. If, in the normal course of events, he does, great. If they are keeping him from the majors specifically for that game...not great.

#23 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

I don't detect anyone on here "freaking out". Instead, just "pointing out" that that's not how other teams do it. A big deal was made by Terry Ryan a few weeks ago, in his "why not us?" comment in regards to the Morales signing. Since then, the team has done practically nothing to follow up with that aggressive move- and their moves of late have been down-right head-scratching.

Either: 1) We accept that the Twins are earnestly trying to win now while balancing that with player development, especially being conservative with pitching talent. The Twins may have specific plan for May that they believe is in his and the team's best interest. Or: 2) The Twins are secretly rebuilding and saving as much as they can, and the win-now mantra is a bit of hegemony for the fanbase. While they know May will succeed, they hold him back because it benfits their longterm cause (continued bamboozling the public with the mere specter of winning). The Twins, rather than winning, want to reward journeyman players because it gives them warm fuzzies (they got a really nice greeting card from grammy Pino).

While the Twins may be wrong about their evaluation of May's future success, their delicate touch with pitching prospects is hardly head-scratching. And in my mind it's prudent, as May's success (and capacity to help the team win now) is hardly a forgone conclusion, much less at the start.

#24 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

Either: 1) We accept that the Twins are earnestly trying to win now while balancing that with player development, especially being conservative with pitching talent. The Twins may have specific plan for May that they believe is in his and the team's best interest. Or: 2) The Twins are secretly rebuilding and saving as much as they can, and the win-now mantra is a bit of hegemony for the fanbase. While they know May will succeed, they hold him back because it benfits their longterm cause (continued bamboozling the public with the mere specter of winning). The Twins, rather than winning, want to reward journeyman players because it gives them warm fuzzies (they got a really nice greeting card from grammy Pino).

While the Twins may be wrong about their evaluation of May's future success, their delicate touch with pitching prospects is hardly head-scratching. And in my mind it's prudent, as May's success (and capacity to help the team win now) is hardly a forgone conclusion, much less at the start.

You don't rebuild with one of their oldest rosters in years and a franchise record number of players in their 30s so it must be option 1.

#25 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,434 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

You don't rebuild with one of their oldest rosters in years and a franchise record number of players in their 30s so it must be option 1.

Or just a muddled mess .... and that's what it is looking more and more like to me.

#26 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

Or just a muddled mess .... and that's what it is looking more and more like to me.

Or... waiting for the crop of new kids to be ready, and using older players to supplement until then. "Muddling through" isn't necessarily the same as "muddled mess".

#27 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

With the way the team is now playing and being managed "muddling through" and "muddled mess" is EXACTLY the same thing, how can anyone draw the conclusion differently?

#28 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

With the way the team is now playing and being managed "muddling through" and "muddled mess" is EXACTLY the same thing, how can anyone draw the conclusion differently?

One acknowledges that there's a plan in place and a light at the end of the tunnel. One doesn't.

#29 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

Frankly I do not think Twins' management recognizes the difference, do any of you?

#30 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:26 PM

Frankly I do not think Twins' management recognizes the difference, do any of you?

Seeing as how Ryan has successful rebuilt teams in the past, yes, I do think he recognizes the difference.