Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Santana to DL; Pino Recalled

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,432 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

http://en.wikipedia...._of_information

:)

#3 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

Well, that probably answers the question of who's starting in that open slot - Pino will get his 3rd ML start.

#4 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

Oh... well, couldn't they just have DL'd Santana and called up Polanco? I don't think Pino needed to be involved with this.

#5 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

I'm guessing they thought Santana would be playing sooner.

#6 TheDean

TheDean

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

I thought I had seen someone joking about Polanco being the backup CF...but looks like he's really the backup CF, unless Parmelee.

I guess we just have to hope Fuld doesn't go down, as much fun as a Hammer/Parms/Arcia OF sounds.

Maybe give Nunez some time in CF at NB? :D

#7 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,899 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:44 PM

This roster is a mess right now.

#8 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

This roster is a mess right now.

As an objective statement of the state of things, I guess that's right. I question how many 40-man rosters out there can withstand 3 infielders all on the 15-day DL at the same time. It's too many holes to cover; it's not a long enough time to warrant initiating a trade that another GM will see as being out of desperation.

#9 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

So does Polanco get to start today?

#10 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

As an objective statement of the state of things, I guess that's right. I question how many 40-man rosters out there can withstand 3 infielders all on the 15-day DL at the same time. It's too many holes to cover; it's not a long enough time to warrant initiating a trade that another GM will see as being out of desperation.

Of those 3 infielders, only one was even in MLB to begin the season. The fact that they all seem critical to our roster now speaks a bit about how well our roster plan has worked out, even without injuries.

#11 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:50 PM

Well, at least throwing in the towel on Santana now instead of letting him sit on the bench for a few more days before DL'ing him is an improvement over the handling of some previous injuries.

That said, while there's unquestionably a whole bunch of randomness to injury situations like this, it would be nice to see the Twins use this incident as motivation to reconsider roster construction and training methods, rather just shrugging their shoulders, scratching their heads, and saying 'We ended up needing a kid from A ball to come up to the majors. Huh. Darn the luck.'

#12 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

I suspect that a significant part of "the roster problem" is caused by too many pitchers on the roster. The desire to have "lots of arms" for both starters and relievers is a big constraint. To be sure it is frustrating to place trust in players whose performance doesn't meet expectations, but sometimes a team just has to grin and bear it. It is a 40-man roster, a team can't be 3-deep at every position, there isn't enough spots.

We have been prompted that there is "a mandate" to not lose 90+ games this season, but that seems like the tail wagging-the-dog. The real need is developing players and assembling a team that can consistently win 90+ a season.

#13 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:52 PM

On the plus side only one pitcher has been hurt this season.....

Also on the CF mess. The Twins did try to sign Raj Davis this offseason. I am pretty sure I remember Len III was about to announce it when the Tigers jumped in and upped their offer a little.

#14 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

, it would be nice to see the Twins use this incident as motivation to reconsider roster construction and training methods, rather just shrugging their shoulders, scratching their heads, and saying 'We ended up needing a kid from A ball to come up to the majors. Huh. Darn the luck.'

You really think that's how they handle roster construction and injury prevention? They had three infielders get hurt within two weeks. How many more Florimons should we have at the end of the roster?

#15 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,432 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

Apparently Pino never really left the team:

#16 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,432 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:48 PM

But this is very cool especially for someone who has played so long in the minors:

#17 adjacent

adjacent

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

Also they used the 40-men roster to protect players that they did not intend to call up this year (Kepler, Polanco (well, now they were forced too), Vargas). It is not a criticism, they had to do it to protect them. It is part of the reality of why the 40-men is thin in some positions.

#18 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:18 PM

Apparently Pino never really left the team:

Makes complete sense. As a starting pitcher who had just taken his turn, and with injury questions, there was no rush to get to Rochester except to refill the feeder for the housecat and water the plants.

#19 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

You really think that's how they handle roster construction and injury prevention? They had three infielders get hurt within two weeks. How many more Florimons should we have at the end of the roster?

OK, I'll take a stab at it:

-1?

#20 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:53 PM

Well, at least throwing in the towel on Santana now instead of letting him sit on the bench for a few more days before DL'ing him is an improvement over the handling of some previous injuries.

That said, while there's unquestionably a whole bunch of randomness to injury situations like this, it would be nice to see the Twins use this incident as motivation to reconsider roster construction and training methods, rather just shrugging their shoulders, scratching their heads, and saying 'We ended up needing a kid from A ball to come up to the majors. Huh. Darn the luck.'

Hate to say "I told you so" but in this case...it was pretty obvious when the injury was described...it was not going to end up being "day to day"- but as you said, at least they didn't drag this out as they have in the past. Heck, even Timmy Laudner knew the injury was a more serious one than the first reports would lead to believe.

This move still makes it likely that the Twins stay with 13 pitchers when Plouffe and Nunez presumably come back on Monday, obviously still a position player short on the 40-man, and still leaves them short a viable leadoff bat and a starting-level CF on the 25-man.

#21 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

I thought I had seen someone joking about Polanco being the backup CF...but looks like he's really the backup CF, unless Parmelee.

I guess we just have to hope Fuld doesn't go down, as much fun as a Hammer/Parms/Arcia OF sounds.

Maybe give Nunez some time in CF at NB? :D

I was the one who mentioned Polanco's one game and one catch in CF, but a little research has found another gem. I found another CF'er at a higher level on the Twins. Pedro Florimon also played a game at AA in CF and caught 2 balls in one game!!! I guess he can play another position besides SS. There's your backup.

#22 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

These next two weeks are going to be make or break for the twins, they need to survive and play .500 ball IMHO while they start getting some guys healthyx

#23 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

The problem with the Twins' roster right now is not 3 IFs in the DL. Not counting first base (that can get covered by Mauer and Parmelee) there are 4 infielders who can play SS on the roster.

The problem is that there is a single outfielder who can play centerfield, and Gardy & Terry call up a thirteenth pitcher, cutting their nose to spite their face. And starting the season with only one centerfielder at the high levels and Bartlett as the back up (remember that?) is the root cause of the problem here. Not all the SSs they got on the roster. That's the symptom.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#24 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

The problem with the Twins' roster right now is not 3 IFs in the DL. Not counting first base (that can get covered by Mauer and Parmelee) there are 4 infielders who can play SS on the roster.

The problem is that there is a single outfielder who can play centerfield, and Gardy & Terry call up a thirteenth pitcher, cutting their nose to spite their face. And starting the season with only one centerfielder at the high levels and Bartlett as the back up (remember that?) is the root cause of the problem here. Not all the SSs they got on the roster. That's the symptom.

Grady Sizemore was available to be claimed and/or signed on a non-roster minor league deal- he's right there in Lehigh Valley as we speak.

#25 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

Grady Sizemore was available to be claimed and/or signed on a non-roster minor league deal- he's right there in Lehigh Valley as we speak.

Indeed. Along with Jason Marquis, Matt Tolbert and Clete Thomas.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#26 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,899 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

There's bad luck, no doubt. But this was a glaring problem before the season - offensive depth was a black hole after the starters. When you compound that existing problem with bizarre 25 man roster decisions out of ST.....that does matter too. I can't completely excuse them when many of these problems were self-inflicted. (Bad luck has just made a bad problem even worse)

#27 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

De Ja Vu!

#28 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Elizabethton (with Chief)

• Members
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

I also feel the Twins made their own bed on this. Nunez said he was ready to go. Anthony said Nunez was available off the bench. Then the Twins called up Pino for a spot start; fine. But instead of sending out a pitcher in exchange for Pino, they put the healthy Nunez on the DL.

#29 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

De Ja Vu!

What? No confetti? Where's the balloons and streamers and marching band?

#30 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

How do you get a bone bruise that bad mid sprint without banging it.