Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/25): Mr. Rogers Very Unneighborly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 684 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...ry-Unneighborly

#2 Pitz

Pitz

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:39 AM

JJ Cooper of Baseball America had some interesting tweets about E-town's game
JJ Cooper (jjcoop36) on Twitter

Gonsalves - 87-89; dropped to 85-86 in 6th. effectively used good change, slow curve, and good location.

Royals team they faced is the org's lowest level so their team is made up of a lot more younger guys than the Twins'.

Gordon's HR on slow curve; Cooper says he'll have video but I haven't seen it yet.

#3 Lakeside

Lakeside

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:12 AM

Oliveros deserves to be called to the next level. . . Does Hamburger's trip to AA New Britain indicate that he may be put in a starter's role there?? He started over 20 games in independent ball last year.

#4 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

I think the Twins view Hamburger as an "organizational" player and they'll send him wherever he's needed. I agree that Oliveros has earned his promotion to AAA.

#5 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

I'm pretty sure I called that Oliveros promotion in a thread. Just destroying AA hitters, hoping he turns up good for us didn't we get him for Delmon?

#6 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

JJ Cooper of Baseball America had some interesting tweets about E-town's game
JJ Cooper (jjcoop36) on Twitter

Gonsalves - 87-89; dropped to 85-86 in 6th. effectively used good change, slow curve, and good location.

Royals team they faced is the org's lowest level so their team is made up of a lot more younger guys than the Twins'.

Gordon's HR on slow curve; Cooper says he'll have video but I haven't seen it yet.

Red Flag......Cooper used the phrase, "effective more than dominant". What happened to the velo that Gonsalves came in with at the draft? It supposedly sat in the low-90s and occasionally hit 94? Looks like the Twins are having him drop any power-pitcher aspirations- is there a long-term C & C issue? If so, he's a lot less exciting prospect.

#7 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

Red Flag......Cooper used the phrase, "effective more than dominant". What happened to the velo that Gonsalves came in with at the draft? It supposedly sat in the low-90s and occasionally hit 94? Looks like the Twins are having him drop any power-pitcher aspirations- is there a long-term C & C issue? If so, he's a lot less exciting prospect.

I was a little surprised that they let him go 6 innings this early. Isn't this just his second game? I think the Twins had most of there pitchers drop the velocity a notch to start the season or at least several pitchers seemed to be pitching below their usual velocity the first few games. IMO he is just building arm strength but who knows there could be something wrong as I thought he would start in A ball and he was the only dominant pitcher from last year not to get a chance there.

#8 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

Gonsalves has been pitching for months in EST. Who knows what is going on. Without context I'm mostly lost. As an aside I'm really glad I didn't have dozens of people scrutinizing my first week on the job.

#9 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

Why not Trevor May? If Pino fizzles, bring up the kid and keep that coffee pouring. It's not like the Twins are real worried about their playoff position, not with this pitching staff. Let everybody not in a body cast have a cuppa joe in the show. Maybe somebody will shine...maybe Trevor May.

#10 SoCal Twin

SoCal Twin

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:51 PM

I think he has a 70 pitch count. I heard it was more like 89-91 either way I'm very happy that now everyone can see he can throw a curve and change up pretty effectively. GO TWINS!