Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Fan poll for HR derby contestants

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

I hope MLB.com updated the guys they have listed for the 2014 Home Run Derby. In the AL, you can select Joe Mauer. Seriously, Joe Mauer. They also have Prince Fielder and Bryce Harper, both have been on the DL for how long now.

Joe Mauer and his currently 2 HRs needs your fan vote to be in the Home Run Derby.

http://mlb.mlb.com/m.../hrd/ballot.jsp

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

I would be beyond embarassed were that to come to fruition.

#3 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

At least this way the HR Derby would be shorter?

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

Mauer has 12 career HR at Target Field. Jose Bautista has 11.

Better vote Jose in, he's only 20 HR behind Josh Willingham for most HR hit at Target Field and I think he could do it with a good showing.

#5 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

I think back to the opposing hitters who have hit some majestic blasts at Target Field over the past four seasons. It's hard to tell how many bombs were courtesy of a less than stellar pitching staff - but; Jose Bautista, Nelson Cruz, Miguel Cabrera would all be able to put on a fantastic show. Giancarlo Stanton would be a blast to watch too...

As far as a Twins rep goes (if they'd get one) - give me Dozier, Hammer or Plouffe over Mauer. Either of the first three could do well if they were allowed to pull the ball to left all night.

#6 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

If Arcia was in the HR Derby, would it have the opposite effect than the "slump" that other hitters complain about?

Vote Arcia for the Derby - it's his best hope!

#7 JustcallupSANO

JustcallupSANO

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

I wanna see Carlos Gomez swing out his shoes in the HR derby seriously though his hat would fall off every time he swings the bat and he'd fall at least twice and maybe throw his bat once. That would be entertainment at his best than for the other 7 players have them be...
AL
Josh Willingham
Miguel Cabrera
Chris Davis
Jose Bautista
NL
Giancarlo Stanton
Justin Morneau
Ben Revere- see if he can muscle one out

#8 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:26 PM

I hope they end up having Dozier or Willingham (who can hit bombs with the best of em) on the derby team.

It would be amazing to have Morneau back as well for the NL, it would be great for him, great for the crowd and great for the Derby itself. (I saw him win it back at Yankee Stadium, so it would be cool to see him hit some out of the park again)
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#9 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:08 PM

Can we drag Thome out of retirement? Maybe get some White Sox pitchers to throw to him? It'll be like old times.

#10 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

Being that the Twins are the host team - they should be able to have a guaranteed spot in the derby. Then they could call up AB Walker (Miracles & FSL Derby Champ - haha). At least it wouldn't be embarassing and wouldn't ruin anybody of values swing for the 2nd half.

FSL HR DERBY VIDEO

#11 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:27 AM

Yeah! Let's ask Thome to come mash some taters. That's always a good show!

I agree with Morneau and Willingham in the derby as well.
Would be fun to see Jose Abreu, Bautista, Encarnacion for the AL
The NL leaderboard is a little thin - Morneau, Stanton for sure, maybe an old favorite like Ryan Howard . . .

#12 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 735 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:13 AM

I think it would be fun to hang out on the plaza and catch HRs outside of the stadium. Kind of like the guys in the ocean when Morneau was batting in SF a few years back. There could be quite the battle for some HR balls out there.

#13 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

Yeah! Let's ask Thome to come mash some taters. That's always a good show!

I agree with Morneau and Willingham in the derby as well.
Would be fun to see Jose Abreu, Bautista, Encarnacion for the AL
The NL leaderboard is a little thin - Morneau, Stanton for sure, maybe an old favorite like Ryan Howard . . .

This year it is expaneded to 5 from each league, I think that pretty much guarantees the Twins get one in. Willingham is prob the best bet as he is the most pure "HR" hitter they have.
Tulo already said he wants to pick Morneau.

Additionally I would like to see Ortiz (glutton for punishment), Abreu and Mike Trout for the AL.

#14 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

This year it is expaneded to 5 from each league, I think that pretty much guarantees the Twins get one in. Willingham is prob the best bet as he is the most pure "HR" hitter they have.
Tulo already said he wants to pick Morneau.

Additionally I would like to see Ortiz (glutton for punishment), Abreu and Mike Trout for the AL.

Doesn't the guy have to be an actual all-star to be in the derby? Seems that would eliminate Willingham and Mauer....

#15 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

I think the league has gone back and forth on that requirement in years past.

Mauer is the official player "ambassador" for the All-Star Game, so in theory he's at least an honorary member of the team...

#16 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:04 AM

Doesn't the guy have to be an actual all-star to be in the derby?

Nope

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

Nope

Even still, I find the idea of Willingham making it slim. Bautista is going to choose the five best sluggers he can.

#18 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

Even still, I find the idea of Willingham making it slim. Bautista is going to choose the five best sluggers he can.

Actually in the new format he would be best served not to choose the five best sluggers he can, since it is now a tournament style format where he would have to go 1 v 1 against other AL participants before the championship match against the NL.

#19 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

This format is interesting - according the website fans can vote, but it will not determine who is chosen to participate. The two captains choose the remaining field of hitters, it doesn't specify if they have to pick current or former all-stars.

I'm guessing they will both be picking a teammate (Bautista will proably pick Encarnacion, Tulo likes Morneau) and then other than that.. who knows what their thought process will be - bias towards their division? Towards former teammates?

#20 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

Actually in the new format he would be best served not to choose the five best sluggers he can, since it is now a tournament style format where he would have to go 1 v 1 against other AL participants before the championship match against the NL.

So your theory is Willingham will make it because he stinks and Bautista will think he can beat him? At that point why doesn't Bautista pick Fuld, Aoki, Eatan, and Bradley Jr.?

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that isn't baseball's intent with this so it's not going to happen.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 24 June 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#21 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

So your theory is Willingham will make it because he stinks and Bautista will think he can beat him? At that point why doesn't Bautista pick Fuld, Aoki, Eatan, and Bradley Jr.?

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that isn't baseball's intent with this so it's not going to happen.

It was sarcasm..settle down.

My theory is will he will pick a hometown guy because it is highly encouraged for him to do so.

#22 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

It was sarcasm..settle down.

My theory is will he will pick a hometown guy because it is highly encouraged for him to do so.

Which do you think MLB cares more about - throwing yet another bone to the hometown team or the enormous television audience it's hoping to sell the product towards?

Cmon Dave.

#23 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

Which do you think MLB cares more about - throwing yet another bone to the hometown team or the enormous television audience it's hoping to sell the product towards?

Cmon Dave.

If it was truly 100% about the televison audience, then they would have made a Dodger and a Yankee a captain. People are going to watch the home derby regardless if Willingham is chosen or not.

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

If it was truly 100% about the televison audience, then they would have made a Dodger and a Yankee a captain. People are going to watch the home derby regardless if Willingham is chosen or not.

Jesus Dave. Target Field is going to be sold out for the Derby whether Willingham hits in it or not. They throw bones to the hometeam during the softball games and all the other extra crap.

The homerun derby is one of two nationally prominent broadcasts the league gets out of it. They want their marquee sluggers in it to hype the event. Not friggin Willingham.

#25 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

I think the Captains were named based on getting the most all-star votes?

#26 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

Jesus Dave. Target Field is going to be sold out for the Derby whether Willingham hits in it or not. They throw bones to the hometeam during the softball games and all the other extra crap.

The homerun derby is one of two nationally prominent broadcasts the league gets out of it. They want their marquee sluggers in it to hype the event. Not friggin Willingham.

I guess we will see.

I know they looked into changing it after the 2012 Derby.

http://espn.go.com/m...son-cano-booing

Edited by SpiritofVodkaDave, 24 June 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#27 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

In 2013, the two captains were NY players (David Wright and Robinson Cano), it seems like MLB doesn't have a consistent rule for how captains are named, and no rules to the captains about how to pick their team.
2013's roster was all players that were named to the All-Star team. Maybe a coincidence, maybe a "rule" that's just not offcially stated.

#28 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

http://espn.go.com/m...son-cano-booing

Right and here's the money quote:

"If we move to something where there's a spot reserved for one of the home-team participants, that would probably generate a lot of excitement in the ballpark," Weiner told ESPN.com following his formal remarks. "But I don't know how the ESPN producers would have felt if Mark Trumbo or Jose Bautista or Prince Fielder were left out of the event instead of Billy Butler.

And let's face it....there is FAR more money in it for the league to care what ESPN thinks and not what a bunch of hometown rubes think.