Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Tobacco and Baseball

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Morley

Sam Morley

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...co-and-Baseball

#2 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

Most businesses ban smoking and chewing in their office, how is this different?

#3 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

It will follow the same path as smoking bans in dugouts, etc. In 10 years it will be gone from public view on MLB fields.

It's unfortunate that so many ballplayers will suffer the consequences of their "choice" in exercising this particular "individual freedom" in the meantime.

#4 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

I think this is something that is in the best interests of the players, might be some 'fight' back.

Speaking of an alternative, our man Byron Buxton endorses these:
https://twitter.com/...375051343953921

@getGRINDS

#5 Wanklenuts

Wanklenuts

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:12 AM

I played baseball in high school and chew was never around. I smoked a few cigarettes but the buzz of tobacco was never appealing to me. In my mid-20s I started playing in a wood bat league with a bunch of college kids. I would say 60% of the team chewed. I always thought it was disgusting and I never had any interest in chewing. But being around it, I was tempted to try it. I remember thinking that it was really weird to feel peer pressure from guys that were 5-7 years younger me and how I was tempted to try something that I never had interest in. I wonder if other ball players, professional and otherwise, started chewing in a similar manner.

#6 gmill11

gmill11

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

I was exposed to chew in high school/legion but nobody ever made a big deal out of it. There was usually a guy or two that would throw on in after the game but it was usually some farm kid who just got done wrestling a bull or something. If it wasn't glaringly obvious to the coaches/umpires nobody cared.

I went to a JUCO my first year and that is where I first experienced the "ball players do it" mentality. Our coach there was pretty tight about not wanting to see it in the dugout or on the field, but I would say half of the team chewed there, mostly because we were 18-19 year olds away from home and we didn't have to answer to anyone.

I transferred after my first year to a 4 year to a team that was significantly loaded with upperclassmen who were 23-24 and I would say 80-90% of the team (including both coaches) chewed either Red Man and gum or straight tobacco.

By the time I graduated, that number probably cut in half. I'm playing on an amateur team now with a majority of younger guys 3-4 years younger than me and maybe 1 or 2 guys chew. Maybe in the 5-8 year difference in age some of that has faded away as we see more and more of Tony Gwynn's of the world create negative attention to it. I guess I'm not going to be rushing out to by a bunch of stock in Phillip Morris anytime soon.

#7 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

There were a handful of guys who chewed on my high school baseball team. I'm from a small school in southern Iowa made up of a lot of country kids, so chewing tobacco isn't exactly uncommon.

That said, I don't use chewing tobacco, but I don't care if other people do it. I don't have a problem with MLB players doing it, but I also wouldn't care if it was banned.

#8 steve

steve

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

Sold or not, empty seats behind homeplate are an eyesore and an embarrassment.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

That's a hilarious commercial!

#10 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

I chewed tobacco from high school all the way through college. At the national tournament my senior year I chose to quit. My athletic career was over and I had to move on from the habit. Best decision I've ever made. The stuff is dangerous and hard to quit. I will be very actively involved in my kids decisions with it when they are around 18.

#11 Spikecurveball

Spikecurveball

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

Started at 19 still doin it at 48. Don't ever start. Real hard to quit.

#12 Sam Morley

Sam Morley

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:49 PM

Everybody knows! LSMFT.

#13 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 270 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

I truly think that the act that turned the tide in fighting cigarettes was when they were banned from TV/movies. This is the same sort of move that could lead to a seriously huge impact.

#14 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

Its pretty rare that they actually show a guy dipping. I'm pretty sure broadcasts deliberately try to avoid filming it, in fact. Mostly we just see em spit and a lot of time its guys just hawking LOOGYs. I don't see how a ban would reduce usage outside of the league itself but maybe I'm underestimating MLB's audience.

#15 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:59 AM

Its pretty rare that they actually show a guy dipping. I'm pretty sure broadcasts deliberately try to avoid filming it, in fact. Mostly we just see em spit and a lot of time its guys just hawking LOOGYs. I don't see how a ban would reduce usage outside of the league itself but maybe I'm underestimating MLB's audience.

There are actually provisions against showing it on television at the MLB level, and containers are not to be visible in the dugout for players. The minor leagues have it "banned", but it's not enforced like the marijuana ban.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#16 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:24 AM

I appreciate all of the personal stories here.

I hope those who indicate that they are quitting will follow through. I know it will be difficult for them but somehow I don't think this is the right way to start:

While mourning the death of his college coach, Tony Gwynn, Stephen Strasburg says he made a decision to quit chewing tobacco. His primary reason is his daughter.
Strasburg, who was chewing tobacco while discussing the subject on Monday, said he started chewing tobacco long before he started playing for Gwynn, and that he didn't know the former Padres icon dipped.

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...6&vkey=news_mlb

Edited by JB_Iowa, 24 June 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#17 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

Really interesting article from Jon Heyman at CBS sports about a possible ban on smokeless tobacco in the last CBA negotiations:

http://www.cbssports...rs-union-balked

MLB is said by people involved in the talks to actually have “pushed very hard” for the banning of smokeless tobacco in those discussions, with the players' union pushing back just as hard to keep it legal in the game. The union, driven on this issue by its players, ultimately won the point, though some rule refinements were intended to lessen usage and the harm caused by it.

The argument between MLB bigwigs and the union and its players was said to have grown “contentious” at some point, at least in the eyes of MLB officials. And one MLB person, asked who among the players appeared to be against the banning proposal, noted, “It was all of them.”

[I]n the end, while MLB's own survey found that smokeless tobacco usage is down to only a strong minority, at 33 percent, there isn't one player who is recalled by MLB officials who stood up against the vocal users and the teammates who supported them.

The good news, I guess, is that usage is down from 50% to 33% over the last 20 years. With the ban in the minors, maybe that figure will continue to drop.

#18 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,213 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

I don't see how a union can have a say in the banning of tobacco products at a workplace.

No other union does.

Excuses.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#19 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

I don't see how a union can have a say in the banning of tobacco products at a workplace.

No other union does.

Excuses.

Baseball isn't your everyday union for sure. Basically, to give in on tobacco, the union expects concessions from the owners, much like salary cap and revenue sharing had to get by the union with negotiation as well. I'd say you ban chew in the clubhouse and remove suspensions for off-field marijuana use, and you may have a move from the union.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!